Amazing what you can buy for sub £500 these days.

Soldato
Ahhh, OcUK Motors section at it's finest - No surprise that the OP stopped posting looking at some the stuff posted in here.

OP - Having had the exact same model the three things to watch for were the Clutch (just done!), EGR clogging (simple 15min fix) and the boost pipes from the intercooler to the manifold splitting (age/heat) which is another 15min job but very dirty. Other than that they were pretty solid unless they were driven less than 8k miles a year on short runs "just for the shopping" etc which effects all diesels.

Caporegime
Don't forget the owners from more general life, who "just happen" to find the results predicted by the brand forums and the manufacturers very closely match their own experiences.... and the mechanics who don't give a toss what car you have, when giving advice on what cars are good and what work needs doing at which intervals....
How do you cope with your life, when so many people up their own backsides turn out to be right?

Why do you think your car even has things like Service Intervals, if it's nothing to do with mileage?

Ok, I give up, what relevance has this to my post and your thinking a high mileage car has had more work done and therefore worth more?

Caporegime
Why is there so much bickering about the bloody thing? You're just going round in circles :confused:

OP just enjoy the car until it goes bang, scrap it and move on, and screw what anyone else thinks.

Associate
OP
Ahhh, OcUK Motors section at it's finest - No surprise that the OP stopped posting looking at some the stuff posted in here.

OP - Having had the exact same model the three things to watch for were the Clutch (just done!), EGR clogging (simple 15min fix) and the boost pipes from the intercooler to the manifold splitting (age/heat) which is another 15min job but very dirty. Other than that they were pretty solid unless they were driven less than 8k miles a year on short runs "just for the shopping" etc which effects all diesels.

Yeah I just looked at a lot of these posts and laughed to myself. It's a winter hack to me, nothing more. If something big breaks I will just scrap it and move on.

I know what breaks on them probably better than anyone on here does to be honest. I have worked for ford for 10 years.

Soldato
Ok, I give up, what relevance has this to my post and your thinking a high mileage car has had more work done and therefore worth more?
Multiple sources concurring, yet you want to disregard all that in favour of clinging to your blinkered misunderstanding and lack of research.
But that's fine. I'll likely buy a car off you for an absolute steal, or sell you a complete heap for a ridiculously high price. That's the way of thinking that allows dealers to shaft you in the first place.

Caporegime
Multiple sources concurring, yet you want to disregard all that in favour of clinging to your blinkered misunderstanding and lack of research.
But that's fine. I'll likely buy a car off you for an absolute steal, or sell you a complete heap for a ridiculously high price. That's the way of thinking that allows dealers to shaft you in the first place.

You've utterly lost me, I'm no stranger to very high mileage vehicles and agree entirely that with religious cost no object maintenance they will perform as well as a vehicle with half the mileage, alas, the vast majority of higher mileage older vehicles are ran on an ever shortening shoestring and most will have maintenance on a when it breaks basis rather than in accordance to manufacturer recommendations.

I'm sure a few high mile forum member owned cars are excellent (Fox's e39 as a prime example) but the majority are not and the market value - even for good ones such as Fox's - alas reflects this.

Anyway OP,enjoy the Mondeo and keep us posted, it'll be interesting to see how it pans out for you. :)

Soldato
You've utterly lost me, I'm no stranger to very high mileage vehicles and agree entirely that with religious cost no object maintenance they will perform as well as a vehicle with half the mileage,
Not even religious - Just doing what needs doing when the service interval says to.
For the Golf 4, it was 130k and those over 180k are almost certain to have been done else they wouldn't still be running... or at least running SO roughly only a completely deaf moron would stay around after the engine started up.

but the majority are not and the market value - even for good ones such as Fox's - alas reflects this.
And again, thanks to various independent review sites like those mentioned, people are slowly learning what to look for in their particular models of choice, so they can avoid those likely to need major servicing in a few K and instead get higher mileges that cost a bit more, but still less that the lower one is due to cost.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Apart from all the brakes need doing, the clutch needs doing, all tyres need changing and the engine sounds like a bag of spanners?

Advisory on an item != "need doing".

My Scorpio has had has has an advisory for "slight play in offside wishbone ball joint" for the last 6 MOT's ;)

It cost £440 - if the engine explodes then the car gets scrapped - would still be cheaper than hiring a car over the winter. It's simple bangernomics - looks like the op gets it.

Still waiting to see if anyone can beat my £300 1 owner, FHSH, 50kish miles 2004 Honda that was kept for 2 years then sold for £1k with no clutch left :p

When my Sierra was in the body shop having a full respray I bought a 1.8 LX Mondeo for £50 (scrap prices were super low at that point) that had a different coloured wing and bonnet that had just failed it's mot on front brakes and front tyres. £100 spend at a local scrap yard for two wheels + tyres + calipers + discs + pads (yup, fitted 2nd hand discs and pads from a scrap yard :eek:). Fitted all on my driveway one afternoon MOT'd and passed the next day, drove it for 6 months just adding fuel and sold it for £250.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;30171466 said:
There are loads of 170k mile cars out that which, for whatever reason, have limped to 170k with very little in the way of suspension overhauls or whatever.

I'd go further than that, I'd say almost every 170k mile car on the road has never had a full suspension overhaul. The better ones will have had parts replaced when the owner notices a noise / the car gets an advisory on it's MOT but that's about it, and the rest will only have had stuff replaced when it fails an MOT.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

[TW]Fox;30171420 said:
So then the story becomes 'The owner is so lazy and has such a bad attitude to car maintenance even a 20 minute job at £8 is simply too much to bother with',

Sounds like a great ownership prospect. Sign me up :D

If it was anything like our old Mondeo, the drop links needed replacing yearly.

Associate
OP
Just thought i would update this. Still going strong, not done anything to it except put fuel in and drive. Not even washed it, only the lights and plates have seen my sponge!

Back
Top Bottom