Amazon Echo - anyone have one?

Soldato
Soldato
So I have my Echo Dot connected via Bluetooth to my B&W Zeppelin Wireless, problem is that the Zeppelin never now seems to go into standby, it always on?

Maybe this is because the Dot constantly polls out via BT, surely if it not being used though it should stop polling via BT and let the Zeppelin sleep (poor thing) ;)

<edit>

Spoke to a helpful chap at B&W Support and he pretty much confirmed that is "desired behavior", if the Zeppelin went into standby and then you asked the Dot a question chances are you wouldn't hear the reply as the Zeppelin would still be waking up from sleep. Makes sense to me ;)

Soldato
NeilFawcett;30489591 said:
Interesting... Although having to charge it up every few weeks would annoy me I suspect...

It only lasts about a day if you leave it listening, but the dock is really convenient so I don't have a problem with that. It's generally on the dock anyway unless I'm in the garage or in the shower.

Soldato
Reverb allows you to interact with Alexa from anywhere. Via Alexa, Reverb answers questions, reports traffic and weather, gives info on local businesses, provides sports scores and schedules, and more using the Alexa Voice Service.

It can also interact with smart devices that are compatible with Alexa, such as lights, switches, and thermostats compatible Samsung SmartThings, WeMo, Philips Hue, and others.

Alexa is always learning new features, plus thousands of skills like 1-800-flowers, Animal Sounds, and more

Reverb does not support music.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=agency.rain.android.alexa

Associate
So the missus and son bought me the Amazon Echo for my birthday today. It is fantastic, so much so my Play 1 is now up for sale so I can buy another Echo for the living room.

One issue I have is the Calendar function. We are both IOS for phones and have a shared family calendar. I have broke my phone and going Android so I have managed to share the IOS Icloud calendar to my google calendar on my phone and all works well i.e missus adds something on her IOS device and I see it in my Google Calander and I add something on my google Calendar and she sees it on her IOS calendar. Just to note my missus doesn't use or have any google accounts.

On Alexa I have added my google calendar but Alexa does not see the IOS shared entries. Is there any way of doing this or do I have to change the missus phone to use my google calender.

Soldato
NeilFawcett;30499279 said:
Are you entering in your amazon account details into 3rd party software? Hmmm...

No, that's not how these things work. All you do is allow the app "The ability to call Alexa on your behalf.". Nothing else. The worst I can think of that could happen if the app went rogue is that it could order stuff to your one click address, but I imagine it would be noticed and blacklisted immediately.

Soldato
Em3bbs;30499302 said:
No, that's not how these things work. All you do is allow the app "The ability to call Alexa on your behalf.". Nothing else. The worst I can think of that could happen if the app went rogue is that it could order stuff to your one click address, but I imagine it would be noticed and blacklisted immediately.

So you don't give it any Amazon crediantials? Cool...

Soldato
NeilFawcett;30499279 said:
Are you entering in your amazon account details into 3rd party software? Hmmm...

No, it seems to be using an Amazon API rather than logging in with the details

Suspended
I am using Amazon Echo. I have been using it for more than 10 months. These are the benefit of having Amazon Echo
If you're a Spotify premium member, then you can finally play your favorite songs and playlists on the Echo.
Kindle books were recently integrated into its system, so now you can have Alexa read aloud your favorite Kindle books. It's not quite as smooth/expressive as an Audible narrator, but it gets the job done. Perhaps it'll gain more personality over time.
It is difficult to remember all commands of Amazon Echo. Here you will find list of all amazon echo
https://www.homesecuritylist.com/absolute-list-alexa-commands/

Associate
Well, it's part of the fun really :)

I've almost finished my 433Mhz <-> MQTT bridge project, the software is done, the prototype works, and I've ordered the PCB for the 'final' product. With that, you can 'learn' RF wall panels and outlet remotes, and also receive/decode weather station messages. Then using Node-red or Home Assistant (or any other thing that talks MQTT) you can use Alexa to do your home automation. Works pretty cool here, and all you really need is a raspi or other small linux box.
https://github.com/buserror/rf_bridge <- still need documenting...

Soldato
Sounds interesting BusError. Out of interest did you look at using something like this instead?

http://rm-bridge.fun2code.de/

It's a REST http API which you can learn both RF and IR codes with and control TVs, 433mhz smartplugs etc with a Broadlink hub which costs around £25. I am using it with some old B&Q Byron Home Easy kit I bought about 10 years ago. The only 'downside' is that you need to have an Android device permanently turned on which runs the http daemon, which isn't a problem for me as I have installed it on my Fire TV box which is always on and it means I don't need to have anything else like a Pi in addition. The Fire TV even powers the Broadlink device :)

I'm using IFTTT to connect to the API for Alexa use.

Associate
I started with a broadlink hub, recently unplugged it. It's finicky (learning codes are a bit of a pain) also, it doesn't decode the weather sensors I have. Mine does, and populates MQTT with the data directly. I'll port the lot to an esp8266 at some point, but since I have linux boxes lying around I don't really /need/ it.

Also, I've ordered some RF PIR sensors, that will also be added to the Matrix. With my node-red setup, I also have a nice UI/dashboard, temperature logs and some more 'clever' logic, like 'Turn on kitchen light at sunset when I get home' (using 'owntracks')

Associate
Quick question on Amazon accounts:

I have an amazon account which I have used on my amazon dot.

Now we have Amazon Prime but on a different amazon account.

Is there a way of me using the amazon account with prime to get access to the music side of amazon but keeping the amazon account that is on my dot for everything else?

Associate
Quick question on Amazon accounts:

I have an amazon account which I have used on my amazon dot.

Now we have Amazon Prime but on a different amazon account.

Is there a way of me using the amazon account with prime to get access to the music side of amazon but keeping the amazon account that is on my dot for everything else?
there is an option in amazon to create a household. i.e. the other person could use your prime for deliveries. i'm not sure if that's possible for the dot though.
but i'd probably google for that :)

Associate
there is an option in amazon to create a household. i.e. the other person could use your prime for deliveries. i'm not sure if that's possible for the dot though.
but i'd probably google for that :)

Yes, I did see that. The amazon account with prime is a family account but registered at a different house (my parents) so not sure it would like me having it as part of a "household".

It seems that the main account on a dot/echo has to be the one with prime to get access to music I think? I don't want to change the main account because it's shared.

Back
Top Bottom