1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMAZON RTX 2080 TI RIP-OFF RETURN SCAM. BUYER BEWARE!

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by doody, May 15, 2019.

1. Trustdesa

Gangster

They should start to pursue legal action against people who do this... Amazon best bit is that no frills return, you do not need to argue you can just return it, however these scumbags ruin it for everyone.

2. mmj_uk

Capodecina

A few years ago I ordered a kit of 4 memory sticks brand new sold by Amazon and it had 2 of the sticks missing, they don't seem to check stock from suppliers or returns very well at all scammers probably see them as easy targets.

3. Nelly

Soldato

Happend to me buying a warehouse deal EVGA GTX 980 back in December 2015, when they had that extra 20% off the prices. When I opened the EVGA box their was a GTX 460 or 470 in there. Amazon refunded me straight away.

I kicked up a fuss about me not having a GPU to play games over Christmas, so the Amazon Rep let me choose any brand new GTX 980 of my choice for the cost of the reference card with 20% off. Good customer service from Amazon.

4. Marine-RX179

Capodecina

Genuinely hope that people that pull crap like that got karma hitting them in the face one of these days.

5. a66as

Wise Guy

That's why you don't buy expensive graphics card from Amazon

6. beany_bot

Mobster

I thought you weren't allowed to mention competitors on here?

Or is this allowed because it is negative?...

7. Teh_Next

Perma Banned

OCUK take Amazon payment so I guess there's an affiliation of sorts there somewhere.

8. Type_R

Soldato

Having said all that has been said in this thread and I completely agree it is disgusting behaviour by the people returning lesser goods to Amazon...there are more complex things going on that people need to be aware of. I guess I have just been lucky..purchased loads of computer hardware from Amazon and never had anything but a brand new correctly labelled piece of hardware.

I tend not to buy any PC product where the reseller is offering a guaranteed ‘overclocked’ version of the same product. They all say they don’t do it but without a doubt binned CPUs / GPUs are sent out to customers who haven’t paid the premium for a ‘guaranteed overclock’ product (I mean its not as if the ones that don’t make the cut are put in the bin...and how many grade B items do you see?). Surely this is a scam where the reseller can never be caught and essentially negating any chance of you receiving a product that might OC well. Just my 2p.

9. Psycho Sonny

Caporegime

when they sell binned products it's normally OEM versions.

retail versions will never be opened for binning. so they sell the crappy chips as OEM. as long as you buy retail you are fine.

10. willhub

Capodecina

Amazon returns is very generous, they refunded me for a 1TB Samsung Evo 970 NVMe because they sent me the wrong product, I didn't even need to return it!, it was the correct product!

11. Hades

Capodecina

Last year I bought an XBox One from a marketplace seller, fulfulled by Amazon, and a really badly ripped box and clearly very used XB1 turned up. Obviously someone had swapped their own used model at some point. Amazone refunded it but I haven't fully trusted it since.

12. pp111

Gangster

Well I guess the loser here is mostly Amazon because I assume that buyers realise its the wrong card and return them.

13. BigBANGtheory

Hitman

That's not how it works, I see what you are saying but ultimately you're trying to make a moral argument as a defence though you've neglected the obvious differences in volume. This is the realm of MPs and Parliament it would have no relevance in Amazon vs. "hey I've pulled one over the stupid retailer - person"

14. LambChop

Mobster

I'm not advocating it, nor have I or would I ever do this 'trick'.

I think we both agree this shouldnt be done by anyone. I do think Amazon should go to the authorities if they ever find this happening.

15. justwondering

Gangster

I bought a gtx 1070 from amazon a while ago, it had issues, kicked up a fuss, they upgraded me to a gtx 1080 and a free code for Destiny 2! Amazon are good, at the end of the day they write it all off against tax...customer satisfaction is their ultimate aim..... Seems to be paying off handsomely.

16. BigBANGtheory

Hitman

sure but what I'm saying is you'd be in a very weak position too, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on if they decided to pursue someone and a morale argument wouldn't get you out of that situation i.e. they could get away with it by claiming Amazon makes mistakes too. My point was simply "the law doesn't work like that" and you could be in a ton of trouble as a result.

17. jrwagh333

Mobster

It's a criminal offence to steal, so it wouldn't be based on balance of probability, it would be based on beyond a reasonable doubt.

So who stole the good GPU and replaced it with a cheaper one? The person that returned it? The person that received it? An Amazon rep? The post man?

18. Gerard

Caporegime

Have to agree, especially when they tell you the product you're buying is new and you get a package that's been returned and the gpu replaced.

19. tyler_jrb

Mobster

Agreed I’ve bought a number of parts and never had an issue with them. Have had a faulty mobo which was replaced next day before I sent the old one back. Not many places do that.

If you buy it from amazon direct, the same above applies for a full year before it is passed onto manufacturer warranty.

20. Monkeynut

Soldato

I have bought brand new SD cards that were fake. Makes me wonder if people are buying real high capacity cards, returning the fake version annd getting a refund.