Amazon vs Google

Man of Honour
Love the way they make out like YouTube is so important and essential like its some kind of human right! lol

Many of the people I work with are practically glued to YouTube. I spend at least half an hour most days watching something on there and often my go to for guides on how to do things, etc.

Soldato
Many of the people I work with are practically glued to YouTube. I spend at least half an hour most days watching something on there and often my go to for guides on how to do things, etc.

Its basically supplanted regular tv for me, pretty much the apprentice, robot wars, top gear and dr who are the only things i watch any more

Soldato
Why don't Amazon just launch their own version of youtube with less restrictive monetisation, most of the content producers on youtube now have to resort to patreon to get their content funded because youtube flags up pretty much anything and everything as non advertiser friendly.

I'm sure most producers would be happy to make the switch if they could actually monetise their content ? and most viewers would make the switch if the content was the same, I can't see people being loyal to youtube when all youtube does is host the content they enjoy

It's not like it would be hard thanks to AWS having the infrastructure to host something like that

Man of Honour
It is very hard to get traction against an established market leader even with some of the silly stuff like de-monetisation going on unless you can bring something truly new or ground breaking to the table that isn't just a gimmick or otherwise a viable alternative offering.

Soldato
Two big companies going tit for tat.

Can anyone recommend a fire TV stick alternative which will play everything: Amazon Video, Netflix, iPlayer, YouTube, Now TV, etc, etc? I'm tired of these games and want to move to something independant.
roku

Man of Honour
Why don't Amazon just launch their own version of youtube with less restrictive monetisation, most of the content producers on youtube now have to resort to patreon to get their content funded because youtube flags up pretty much anything and everything as non advertiser friendly.
Someone needs to do this, it would be so easy to age catogry and content catogrize videos. Then advertise can select what age and content they want to display on.

Im sure for example violent video game videos would have plenty of advertisers, yet YouTube demontize them
Plenty of game developers, energy drinks etc would have no issue with it.

And YouTube is pretty important for media. For me at least it surpasses conventional TV by a X10 or more.

Caporegime
It is very hard to get traction against an established market leader even with some of the silly stuff like de-monetisation going on unless you can bring something truly new or ground breaking to the table that isn't just a gimmick or otherwise a viable alternative offering.

but a company like amazon is a serious contender to do that tbh... they already have their on demand prime video service which they successfully tagged onto prime membership in order to complete with the likes of Netflix, they have the online rental service in the from of amazon video too and they've got the devices that are starting to fill up people's homes

if they were to launch a new video sharing site then they could offer deals to some top you tubers and start to promote it right away via prime, fire TV sticks, fire tablets etc.. etc.. all of which gives them a significant advantage over other contenders and could make them a very credible threat to youtube

in fact I really hope they do it!

Soldato
Im sure for example violent video game videos would have plenty of advertisers, yet YouTube demontize them
Plenty of game developers, energy drinks etc would have no issue with it.

2 Youtubers I follow both got demonitised vids

Worth a Buy posted a video about fluffy rabbits that was flagged and Thunderf00t had a video called "seeing electrons with the naked eye" that was flagged

He makes quite a good rant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlRFoYr-XuY

People are getting ****** off with Youtube and its now cancerous advertiser friendly algorithm all the market needs is someone like Amazon to offer a new platform where they can happily post content without it getting flagged for utterly stupid reasons

if they were to launch a new video sharing site then they could offer deals to some top you tubers and start to promote it right away via prime, fire TV sticks, fire tablets etc.. etc.. all of which gives them a significant advantage over other contenders and could make them a very credible threat to youtube

Don't forget Amazon now own Twitch, they're basically half way there to offering a youtube competitor all they need to do is offer service for pre recorded vids instead of only streaming and it's done & dusted for Youtube

Soldato

I'm sure most producers would be happy to make the switch if they could actually monetise their content ? and most viewers would make the switch if the content was the same, I can't see people being loyal to youtube when all youtube does is host the content they enjoy

It's not like it would be hard thanks to AWS having the infrastructure to host something like that

Amazon won't do that for the same reasons Google are coming down hard on what videos show adverts or monetized. They won't host them for fun, they'll need some way to have an income from video hosting.

Soldato
Amazon won't do that for the same reasons Google are coming down hard on what videos show adverts or monetized. They won't host them for fun, they'll need some way to have an income from video hosting.

the thing is its ridiculous, they'd be much better off just setting up categorised ads- give advertisers a bunch of options for content they don't want to be supporting and don't show the ads on those videos.

might not be simple but it's no more complex than any of youtube's other systems for categorising things.

Soldato
OP
Why don't Amazon just launch their own version of youtube with less restrictive monetisation
Or Amazon could stop stifling people's choices by not blocking Google devices on their marketplace and allowing Prime video to work on chromecast and Google would stop this whole thing.
Thinking Amazon are going to be heroes and save the world from YouTube with a more "humane" version is naive.

Soldato
I don't think anyone can realistically have a chance of competing with youtube without a serious wad of cash to burn. I didn't think youtube itself actually turned a profit yet?

Associate
but a company like amazon is a serious contender to do that tbh... they already have their on demand prime video service which they successfully tagged onto prime membership in order to complete with the likes of Netflix, they have the online rental service in the from of amazon video too and they've got the devices that are starting to fill up people's homes

in fact I really hope they do it!

Is easy to underestimate how difficult it is to take people away from a market leader. A good example of this is YouTube Gaming which tried to do exactly what you described with Twitch. YT Gaming just hasn't pulled the numbers from twitch, even though the infrastructure and existing YT user base is already there.

Man of Honour
Is easy to underestimate how difficult it is to take people away from a market leader. A good example of this is YouTube Gaming which tried to do exactly what you described with Twitch. YT Gaming just hasn't pulled the numbers from twitch, even though the infrastructure and existing YT user base is already there.

Related to that often pulling the big names and offering them a lot of money to come over doesn't work that great either - often the audience doesn't come with them and instead they risk fading into relative obscurity.

Caporegime

that isn't really the main point I'm making, my point is that amazon likely has a bigger advantage/chance to do it than most other contenders... whether it is still unlikely or not isn't the point, it could be even less likely for a company without all the advantages amazon has - if there are contenders here then amazon is likely a serious one

if it is as difficult as you suggest then fair enough perhaps I'm overestimating and there are only slim chances... but those slim chances are probably better than the even slimmer chances of the rest of the potential competitors

Related to that often pulling the big names and offering them a lot of money to come over doesn't work that great either - often the audience doesn't come with them and instead they risk fading into relative obscurity.

they got some decent stuff on their prime TV service buy splashing the cash about... maybe they overpaid for the grand tour a bit but some of their other content is decent

I do wonder what would happen if they bunged say pewdiepie a few million to come over to them... I mean he's had his own beef with youtube anyway

Back
Top Bottom