• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 7nm GPU News and Rumours 2018/2019

Associate
OK all those defending AMD on this cherry picked benchmarking slide that shows them with comparable performance to NVidia' V100. have a watch of the next horizon presentation at the 59 minute mark and then the 110 minute mark.

"MI60 includes special machine learning operations to accelerate machine learning and inferencing"

Thats what David Wang states and then he shows the benchmark slide at the 110 minute mark.

next he states

"for machine learning workload we are also achieving comparable performance."

Yes it does say in the end notes that they used FP32 batch size 256.
I particularly like the line "Performance may vary based on use of latest drivers and optimisations"

Oh you mean like if you actually used the functions of the V100 ie: the tensor cores. Surely they could be special machine learning operations to accelerate machine learning and inferencing.

endnote.jpg

It is only in the WCCFtech article does it say that

So only after AMD had been caught out did they think of mentioning face ID and Banking.

So to all those who have commented and seem to be saying its ok for this sort of thing to happen in presentations, let me ask you this and try to answer honestly.

If it was NVidia pulling a stunt like this and AMD were the ones losing out, wouldn't you be a little put out by it and maybe comment on this forum that we all like to frequent.

What, you mean like Nvidia comparing 20 series with DLSS and RTX to card that don't even have those feature to 'prove' how much better the new cards are. Non-existant features I might add :p

bru

bru

Soldato
What, you mean like Nvidia comparing 20 series with DLSS and RTX to card that don't even have those feature to 'prove' how much better the new cards are. Non-existant features I might add :p

Ill take that as a yes you would be a bit put out then. :)

Caporegime
Vega 10 = RX Vega56 and RX Vega64, also Radeon Instinct MI25
Vega 12 = ??? Speculative Polaris 11/12 replacement UNCONFIRMED
Vega 20 = Radeon Instinct refresh? + likely Vega56/64 refresh? Possibly 7nm? UNCONFIRMED

Vega 3/6/8/10/11 are all branding for APUs - which relates directly to the number of Compute Units - not to be confused with actual "core" names

Polaris 10 - RX 470/RX 480, also Radeon Instinct MI6
Polaris 11 - RX 460/RX560D
Polaris 12 - RX 550/RX 540
Polaris 20 - refreshed(14nm LPP process) Polaris 10 - RX570/RX580
Polaris 21 - refreshed(14nm LPP process) Polaris 11 - RX560
Polaris 22 - "Radeon RX Vega M GH" and "Radeon RX Vega M GL"-branded graphics on Intel chips.
Polaris 30 - Unconfirmed 12nm Polaris refresh RX680?

Caporegime
It's not like AMD haven't brought many forward looking technologies to their GPUs, only to be lambasted for "wasting transistors" on features that are not supported till a few generations down the line. The tech is barely usable as a spot effect on current top of the line Nvidia cards due to it's massive framerate hit. DXR is really only there as a marketing selling point, and for devs to start to get their eye in.
I get the distinct feeling that it's only there so nV can disguise a compute architecture as a gaming card.

nV is focused on AI, driverless cars, HPC, etc. Not gaming. Instead of making a pure gaming card they basically just re-purpose their compute cards and pretend it's for the benefit of gamers. In reality real-time ray tracing is (as we now know) still years away, even with compute heavy "gaming" cards aka Turing.

bru

bru

Soldato
Or of course these last few years worth of keynotes demonstrating deep learning and image recognition and driver less cars have all been because NVidia know that his is the future of graphics for gamming, of course it doesn't hurt that it is also very good for compute usage. Don't forget that NVidia make over 50% of its income from Gaming GPU's, they knew exactly what they were doing and what they want to happen. Its just a pity they seem to have forgotten what side their bread is buttered on when it comes to pricing.

Caporegime
I get the distinct feeling that it's only there so nV can disguise a compute architecture as a gaming card.

nV is focused on AI, driverless cars, HPC, etc. Not gaming. Instead of making a pure gaming card they basically just re-purpose their compute cards and pretend it's for the benefit of gamers. In reality real-time ray tracing is (as we now know) still years away, even with compute heavy "gaming" cards aka Turing.

The RtX codes have no value for compute what do ever.

Permabanned
Years down the line after others have refined and improved there own systems

It's not like AMD haven't brought many forward looking technologies to their GPUs, only to be lambasted for "wasting transistors" on features that are not supported till a few generations down the line. The tech is barely usable as a spot effect on current top of the line Nvidia cards due to it's massive framerate hit. DXR is really only there as a marketing selling point, and for devs to start to get their eye in.

Tesselation, for example.

Soldato
I know this is just speculations but does anyone have a clue how Navi will be compared to Vega 64 ?? About same but on 7nm instead of 14 ? Or better ? Just wondering since the Sapphire Vega 64 is rather tempting to get as a spare card incase my PowerColor V64 dies on me the next couple years (since I have no plans paying 1k+ for a 2080Ti). If I understand what said in the others thread, Vega 64 might not be produced any more once the ones that's out now are all sold out.

Associate
If I understand what said in the others thread, Vega 64 might not be produced any more once the ones that's out now are all sold out.
I got that impression too, does that mean they anticipate Navi sooner than we do, or maybe they don't want to produce dead stock, or that they just know it'll take on average 1 year to sell all 1000 cards for each version, so have said that's the end of the production line...

You should buy one at £299. The Vega 56 is a great card and will be a massive upgrade at the sub £300 price point you were looking for.

I would say the Vega cards are EOL and once they sell out they will be gone for good.

Correct!
This is a crazy opportunity!

Last edited:
Soldato
I know this is just speculations but does anyone have a clue how Navi will be compared to Vega 64 ?? About same but on 7nm instead of 14 ? Or better ? Just wondering since the Sapphire Vega 64 is rather tempting to get as a spare card incase my PowerColor V64 dies on me the next couple years (since I have no plans paying 1k+ for a 2080Ti). If I understand what said in the others thread, Vega 64 might not be produced any more once the ones that's out now are all sold out.

Why would you buy an identical card now just in case your current one dies in a few years when you can just get a new card then?

There is zero information on Navi performance because it doesn't exist yet, but there is also no reason to think it'll be any worse than Vega. Navi will target the mid range, the Vega 64 is about GTX 1080 performance, which is now mid range, logically Navi should be at or somewhat above the 1080. Personally I'd like to see it biting at the 1080 Ti's heels as that will give a nice shift as to what "mainstream" performance is, especially with 1440p and 120Hz+ becoming more commonplace.

Soldato
Why would you buy an identical card now just in case your current one dies in a few years when you can just get a new card then?

There is zero information on Navi performance because it doesn't exist yet, but there is also no reason to think it'll be any worse than Vega. Navi will target the mid range, the Vega 64 is about GTX 1080 performance, which is now mid range, logically Navi should be at or somewhat above the 1080. Personally I'd like to see it biting at the 1080 Ti's heels as that will give a nice shift as to what "mainstream" performance is, especially with 1440p and 120Hz+ becoming more commonplace.
Thank you. :)

Because the only spare cards I have is a boxed 290 and a 970 in my second machine. With the way prices are going, I doubt I be buying a nVidia card if it breaks down, and from has been quoted in davidmt83's post, Gibbo confirms that the Vega 64 is going EOL once they sold out, or atleast that's how I'm reading it. And since having a freesync monitor, rather have another 64 if needed, instead of downgrading since Navi prices most likely will be above 399, hence my question above. If that makes any sens waht so ever ! :p

Caporegime
Thank you. :)

Because the only spare cards I have is a boxed 290 and a 970 in my second machine. With the way prices are going, I doubt I be buying a nVidia card if it breaks down, and from has been quoted in davidmt83's post, Gibbo confirms that the Vega 64 is going EOL once they sold out, or atleast that's how I'm reading it. And since having a freesync monitor, rather have another 64 if needed, instead of downgrading since Navi prices most likely will be above 399, hence my question above. If that makes any sens waht so ever ! :p
Well the info we have is that Navi is targeting the mid-range.

You don't target the mid-range with £400+ prices. Despite what nVidia might tell you :p

Soldato
Well the info we have is that Navi is targeting the mid-range.

You don't target the mid-range with £400+ prices. Despite what nVidia might tell you :p
So your guess is that Navi will be below £400 then ?? Since I am guessing it will be at least Vega 64 performance from LePhuronn's post above ? And with most Vega 64 been around 450+ lately, the Sapphire once does look tempting, as a fall back. :o

Caporegime

Nvidia are renowned for their weird comparisons, they used to (and still do on occasion) babble on about how their gpu has more transistors than certain intel cpu's. Yes they're both processors in a sense but a gpu and a cpu are hardly comparable, they're designed for very different things, a gpu will excel at tasks that will tank a cpu and vice versa.

Caporegime
So your guess is that Navi will be below £400 then ?? Since I am guessing it will be at least Vega 64 performance from LePhuronn's post above ? And with most Vega 64 been around 450+ lately, the Sapphire once does look tempting, as a fall back. :o
Well we "know" that Navi is a mid-range card, built primarily for Sony's PS5.

It's unlikely that the PS5 will be a £600+ console. More likely ~£400-£500. Will AMD attempt to sell a Navi GPU for the same price as a PS5?

So I'm personally expecting 1070 perf Navi for £250 ish, 1080 perf Navi for £350 ish.

I'd be very surprised if it was more expensive than that. And disappointed.

Associate
Well we "know" that Navi is a mid-range card, built primarily for Sony's PS5.

It's unlikely that the PS5 will be a £600+ console. More likely ~£400-£500. Will AMD attempt to sell a Navi GPU for the same price as a PS5?

So I'm personally expecting 1070 perf Navi for £250 ish, 1080 perf Navi for £350 ish.

I'd be very surprised if it was more expensive than that. And disappointed.

Prices are set based on cost to make and markets.
so if Navi does Vega56/1080 performance or more and cost little to make it still will be priced higher than before.
atm with me with a vega56 the next upgrade will take some time as no game will tank my set up for years to come.

Back
Top Bottom