• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 7nm GPU News and Rumours 2018/2019

Caporegime
Not really interested in Gamers Nexus, I am still laughing at them when they made a big thing about putting an AIO on a Titan V and tweaked their setup to set some benching records. It took me one go to beat their scores with a standard air cooled Titan V because they did not know enough about tweaking the CPU memory.

You should not believe everything some of these tech sites claim, it is far better to test for yourself..

So you still are of the conclusion that hbm using lower power is a myth despite the fact nobody (besides you) claims otherwise?

Man of Honour
I don't think AMD ever considered using HBM because of its power saving abilities.

I think AMD decided to use HBM because at the time it was the cutting edge option for its other properties like high bandwidth.

AMD did something positive when they included HBM in the design of the Fury cards but unfortunately because of factors outside their control it did not work out.

Man of Honour
AMD in their slides say 3 times higher performance per watt than GDDR5.

Potentially it can but I don't think anyone has implemented it so far to take advantage of that headline figure - also harder to utilise that advantage for gaming purposes as the way HBM works with best efficiency is more compute type workloads which currently don't make up the bulk of gaming processing.

Caporegime
I think it does use less power but not as much as people seem to think and not enough to justify its use purely on those grounds.

So why do you call it a "myth" if it's fact? Gddr5 per module was meant to be 1.5v Vs hbm 1.3 v. How this translates to gddr6 I don't know. But overall it's less power so a legitimate claim nomatter what.

Back
Top Bottom