• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD 8 core RYZEN price

Caporegime
DragonQ;30489475 said:

Bah, I can't keep up with the dumb prices. I thought £1000 was the 10 core, the 6 core is like a hilarious £600 or something now isn't it, I figured 8 core was somewhere inbetween.

Just looking at the pricing, WTF!!!!

I guess part of it is dollars, I think the 10 core was $1500 so in my brain that is still £1000.... not any more. But 6 cores, one for £420, then another 6 core for £600, woo, more pci-e, for enthusiast where they just don't matter, you're charging people £200 to go from 2 to 4 gpus and even then the increase is woeful value, though of course people who go quadfire/sli are customers they just see as people to rip off.

My brain just doesn't work like that, good value is good value, doesn't matter if I'm spending £200 or £1000, I want good value regardless of how much I'm spending.

So 6 core at £420, 6 core again at £600, 8 core at £1000 and 10 core at £1500..... trollololololol. The problem is these chips are genuinely almost three times the size of a 7700k and so I can understand 3 times the cost, but the 7700k is absolutely tiny at 122mm^2. If you're charging £150 for a quad at 45nm, you shouldn't be charging £360 for a quad at 14nm.

A 7700k due to die size should be somewhere around the £150 mark max, a 6 core should be £250, and 8 cores sub £400.

I paid around 265 for my 5820k probably around a year ago now, pricing has gone up regardless of the pound, when prices should go down as chips get smaller and cheaper to make, something everyone seems to have forgotten.

The general trend for most of the 00's and part of the 90's is, either big clock speed bumps or wider/faster IPC cores every process node. When we hit the cores race, it somewhat went one process node, double the cores, the next process node increase the IPC massively. So one gen you put the double transistors to double the cores, the next process node you put those transistors towards making each core faster. Now you have to factor in that igpu came in and took up one cycle(two nodes) where instead of doubling core count, you doubled size but half was GPU. But that is one two node cycle, after that you go back to adding more cores or way faster cores, instead they've added 10% performance, made it way smaller AND jacked the prices up. Again in the past if you manage to shrink the core by 30-40%, you drop prices by 25-30% to match and get higher sales in a cheaper bracket. Intel just makes it smaller, whacks prices up... then does it again, then again. It's a joke.

Soldato
Yes,DM its £1000 and remember Intel was selling the 14NM Core i7 5820K and 14NM Core i7 5775C for not much more than the 14NM Core i7 6700K:

https://ark.intel.com/products/82932/Intel-Core-i7-5820K-Processor-15M-Cache-up-to-3_60-GHz
http://ark.intel.com/products/88040/Intel-Core-i7-5775C-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz
https://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

They were all in the roughly $340 to $400 range. The thing is the Core i7 5820K was using a much larger die than the Core i7 6700K,and the Core i7 5775C was not only using a larger die,but also had another L4 cache chip and additional packaging costs.

All of these were 14NM,so the Core i7 6700K and Core i7 7700K are just Intel price gouging on a smallish chip. Even the 14NM Atom CPUs were around 90MM2,and all Intel is doing is making sure desktop helps pay for all those subsidised Atom chips and other areas they are moving into.

Soldato
Whats even more hilarious is charing people £200 for more PCIE Lanes and then finding out Xfire / SLI is broken in the majority of titles to the point where Nvidia have blocked it off their better cards hahahah.

Milking at its finest

Soldato
Think I will be getting a 1700X or 1800X, I don’t overclock so generally go for the higher out-of-the box performance but the price difference for 200Mhz looks to be a bit too much. Hope there will be some good main boards and coolers ready for launch day.

Soldato
cosmogenesis;30491042 said:
Makes you realise how greedy a single player can be. Hopefully AMD will get some traction in the CPU space and we will have a more competitive future

Yep and people laugh at AMD video cards, atleast they are almost keeping Nvidia honest with prices, i say almost because the last round were ridiculously priced.

Can only imagine if AMD can score a hit with RyZen, they could potentially follow suit with Vega, im not as sure Vega will be as competitively priced though, still think it may be overpriced for its performance.

But maybe if the sales of Ryzen are massive, it may make AMD rethink pricing strategy for the GPU's.

Soldato
Ryzen's lesser sibling. Think Celeron for Pentium.

Isnt that the sub $100 cpu.
It'll be used for high street builds then, or is it uncapped too

# of Cores10​
If ryzen compares well to that thats a big positive for its price. All these tests are guessing really, we dont know how it'll overclock if its stable and since its upcapped thats the biggest news nobody knows. I'll wait for 8pack to set a record or something :p

Associate
My price prediction: SR3 £200 - SR5 £300 - SR7 £400 - SR7Black - £450

If they are 4/8 - 6/12 - 8/16 that is.

Prices no higher than these, good chance being lower. (Wishful thinking?)

Scenes if the 8/16 is £300, 200% wishful thinking.

1700 @ £329, all that wishful thinking almost has done its job. My prediction may be too high for the SR3 and SR5 :eek:

I thought my predictions was way too low at the time.

Associate
Yep and people laugh at AMD video cards, atleast they are almost keeping Nvidia honest with prices, i say almost because the last round were ridiculously priced.

Can only imagine if AMD can score a hit with RyZen, they could potentially follow suit with Vega, im not as sure Vega will be as competitively priced though, still think it may be overpriced for its performance.

But maybe if the sales of Ryzen are massive, it may make AMD rethink pricing strategy for the GPU's.

I was posting that exact thought months ago before AMD released their graphics cards. Charge less and win market share. Guess what? They didn't offer the value that they are now doing with Ryzen and failed to win much market share.

The funny thing is I was attacked by multiple forum members for suggesting they charge less and offer bang for buck. Just goes to show that you should never really trust anybody's opinion here. AMD is going to do just fine with Ryzen, I think. Glad they finally came around to sense.

Back
Top Bottom