• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD announce EPYC

Man of Honour
News just in Socket SP5 (Genoa onwards) has been pictured.

3h6edxb3ht981.jpg

Yes it is mahoooosive!!!

It's the Cartmam of cpu's... Beefcake!!!

Soldato
OP
Looking at these first decent set of leaked benchmarks Genoa looks to be already busting Sapphire Rapids chops.

Soldato
OP
It seems that AMD have now officially passed the 25%+ market share with EPYC in Datacentre, ans have successfully beaten their old Opteron years by some margin already .

With a further significant delay expected for Sapphire Rapids, their inroads will increase faster than predicted for 2023, allowing Genoa, Bergamo and Genoa-X to retain the lead in DC, and extend it significantly. Interesting times ahead, if AMD hit 35%+ Intel will surely be losing huge sums of cash, since that is where their margins used to be.

Associate
That's a great achievement from AMD.

I wonder with news of Intel's problems getting Sapphire Rapids up and running for customers, will AMD no longer be looking to reduce their TSMC N5 wafer allocation? Client demand might be down but data center is only going to get more demand now.

Soldato
I think I'm going to retire all my current servers in the home lab and sell them to part fund an epic Epyc system.

Anyone else running Epyc at home/lab - what motherboard would you recommend and which Epyc sku if you want more than 16 cores? I would like to avoid first gen but anything newer would be cool - I'm not too fussed about clock speed, core count matters more for me

Soldato
OP
Interesting to see some potential leaks of the new Genoa 96c/192t EPYC 9654 (360w) hitting the shelves (so to speak) this quarter. Makes me wonder if AMD have slightly pulled forward the official launch announcement to capitalise on the further delays that Sapphire Rapids is facing, giving them a clear 2Q's to make even bigger in-road to the DC/server market.

Man of Honour
Interesting to see some potential leaks of the new Genoa 96c/192t EPYC 9654 (360w) hitting the shelves (so to speak) this quarter. Makes me wonder if AMD have slightly pulled forward the official launch announcement to capitalise on the further delays that Sapphire Rapids is facing, giving them a clear 2Q's to make even bigger in-road to the DC/server market.

It's super embarrassing for intel this sapphire rapids debacle, Aurora is how late? The interconnect is just how bad? We all knew EMIB wouldn't scale and would be power hungry and crap so why are they even bothering? Intel please, please sort out your interconnect situation. All this "extra validation" fluff is just that, there are clearly still issues with it so they need to pull it and do us all a favour. I was genuinely looking forward to seeing what it could do now it doesn't even matter. Genoa will hit before it and when it does hit its now impossible for Saphire Rapids not to be underwhelming.

That special glue in zen/epyc must be the bane in intel engineers life's right about now. Imagine mocking something and then that something spanking you time and time again rubbing your face in it repeatedly. The engineers behind IF must be literally falling off their chairs laughing.

What is worse if you are intel is that there is literally nothing stopping amd just scaling further, IF is so amazingly efficient and mature that if intel can't muster up some special sauce of their own they don't stand a chance.

Soldato
Intel please, please sort out your interconnect situation
This does seem to be Intel's major issue right now. I remember when the Arc rumours were gaining traction there was talk Intel had a fully working, incredibly scalable 4 tile design that absolutely decimated the 2080 Ti (yes, we're going that far back), at around 200W...for the tiles themselves. The interconnect drew a further 300W or so.

Honestly, if Intel can't move away from their brute force, throw all the power at everything approach, they are going to get repeatedly toasted in all markets with no chance of ever clawing back; existing Intel customers can only be locked into existing service contracts for so long before they decide they have to bite the bullet and replace their infrastructure with something more cost-efficient to run.

And I say existing customers because we already saw new customers flocking to AMD as early as late-stage EPYC Rome.

Man of Honour
This does seem to be Intel's major issue right now. I remember when the Arc rumours were gaining traction there was talk Intel had a fully working, incredibly scalable 4 tile design that absolutely decimated the 2080 Ti (yes, we're going that far back), at around 200W...for the tiles themselves. The interconnect drew a further 300W or so.

Honestly, if Intel can't move away from their brute force, throw all the power at everything approach, they are going to get repeatedly toasted in all markets with no chance of ever clawing back; existing Intel customers can only be locked into existing service contracts for so long before they decide they have to bite the bullet and replace their infrastructure with something more cost-efficient to run.

And I say existing customers because we already saw new customers flocking to AMD as early as late-stage EPYC Rome.

Agreed if they sort the interconnect they can 100% compete again. Their lack of innovation in fabric tech appears to be all that is now holding them back from competition. I'd love to see them with something similar to IF with lower power draw and efficient throughput, scalable across their entire product line.

We moved on Epyc at Rome release as you already know, don't regret it one bit. Genoa looks like an absolute monster! I still can't believe how these guys are executing, they appear to be on rails right now. It's scary how good they are getting at executing on their promised road map.

Edit: Did I tell you I had a play with some Milan-X chips? Honestly the uptick in certain workloads is mind-blowing. I didn't buy them (I wanted to) just got some review samples to play with and loved the things.

Man of Honour
I saw you mention somewhere you'd had a play. I bet all that cache was luverly

I ran some cache heavy scientific data set workloads... honestly I believe that there isn't anything outside a gpu that even comes close. They didn't lose anything elsewhere either vs Rome... Everything I did on them only generated positive results. They really didn't disappoint anywhere I tested. There may be some outside cases but if there is I didn't find them.

I'd love some Genoa silicon but I'd need to also borrow a chassis for them and that starts getting a bit difficult, not impossible but not as easy. If I get some Genoa I'll enter the cinebench thread with some results :)

Associate
It's super embarrassing for intel this sapphire rapids debacle, Aurora is how late? The interconnect is just how bad? We all knew EMIB wouldn't scale and would be power hungry and crap so why are they even bothering? Intel please, please sort out your interconnect situation. All this "extra validation" fluff is just that, there are clearly still issues with it so they need to pull it and do us all a favour. I was genuinely looking forward to seeing what it could do now it doesn't even matter. Genoa will hit before it and when it does hit its now impossible for Saphire Rapids not to be underwhelming.

That special glue in zen/epyc must be the bane in intel engineers life's right about now. Imagine mocking something and then that something spanking you time and time again rubbing your face in it repeatedly. The engineers behind IF must be literally falling off their chairs laughing.

What is worse if you are intel is that there is literally nothing stopping amd just scaling further, IF is so amazingly efficient and mature that if intel can't muster up some special sauce of their own they don't stand a chance.
The major irony isn't Intel's "glued together" yipe.

What lead the AMD's previous success in the server market?

Well it wasn't just IMC, and everthing else Athlon brought it it, I'd say it was the interconnect: HyperTransport.

Soldato
OP
Intel finally admitting they are knackered for 3+ years

"Intel's CEO Pat Gelsinger announced that he expects the company to continue to lose its market share to AMD as the competition has "too much momentum" going for it. AMD's Ryzen and EPYC processors continue to deliver power and efficiency performance figures, which drives customers towards the company."

"Competition just has too much momentum, and we haven't executed well enough. So we expect that bottoming. The business will be growing, but we do expect that there continues to be some share losses. We're not keeping up with the overall TAM growth until we get later into '25 and '26 when we start regaining share, material share gains."

Yet only a year ago Pat was saying AMD had a good run, but it is now over. Talk about counting your chickens, maybe he's been taking advice from Raja K. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom