• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD announce EPYC

Soldato
The cache on that is nearly as big the hard drive I had in my first PC from 1997! The question has to be asked though, can it cache Crysis?

My first HD in an x86 was only 40mb, mind you ram was an astonishing 1mb, this is before Windows and on DOS 3.1 with apps like 8in1 Gold :D

Associate
No doubt the foot is firmly pressed against the accelerator when it comes to their server business and their most important market. No let up.

I hope some of the MilanX perks trickles down to us humble folk

Associate
Curious, do you have experience of enterprise and hyperscalers? And dealing with vendors sales teams?

I have colleagues who work in those functions, and I assume you're asking whether I understand the service-level agreement, general support side? Apparently Intel are pretty good in this regard, but hard to ignore a competitor with superior tech. Will probably become less relevant from a scale perspective as more enterprises move to cloud, thereby consolidating those contracts.

Seeing the likes of Meta, Azure and Salesforce embrace AMD tech is more than enough evidence to support the fact. Why would anyone pay similar pricing for worse performance and higher running costs?

Man of Honour
I have colleagues who work in those functions, and I assume you're asking whether I understand the service-level agreement, general support side? Apparently Intel are pretty good in this regard, but hard to ignore a competitor with superior tech. Will probably become less relevant from a scale perspective as more enterprises move to cloud, thereby consolidating those contracts.

Seeing the likes of Meta, Azure and Salesforce embrace AMD tech is more than enough evidence to support the fact. Why would anyone pay similar pricing for worse performance and higher running costs?
The simple truth is that most sales of enterprise hardware that run x86 is Intel. It's what the vendors want to sell, it's what companies want to buy and moving to AMD from Intel is something most companies don't want the headache of doing. It's no where near as simple as 'AMD is better so let's go with them'.

Source: I work for VMware delivering huge projects at some of the biggest companies in the world. I don't think I've seen an AMD piece of hardware since I started with them over two years ago.

Associate
The simple truth is that most sales of enterprise hardware that run x86 is Intel. It's what the vendors want to sell, it's what companies want to buy and moving to AMD from Intel is something most companies don't want the headache of doing. It's no where near as simple as 'AMD is better so let's go with them'.

I can believe that, it's not a simple case of ripping out a couple motherboards and putting new ones in; all of the monitoring and configuration systems and protocols would likely need to be revised for the AMD platform.

The bigger cloud providers, and more notably Meta (building a new data centre) are probably in a better position to make these transitions. I have shares in both and competition is good so I definitely don't want to see Intel fall; they just need to sort themselves out.

Soldato
I can believe that, it's not a simple case of ripping out a couple motherboards and putting new ones in; all of the monitoring and configuration systems and protocols would likely need to be revised for the AMD platform.

The bigger cloud providers, and more notably Meta (building a new data centre) are probably in a better position to make these transitions. I have shares in both and competition is good so I definitely don't want to see Intel fall; they just need to sort themselves out.

To pick Intel over AMD the project has to be run from a money no object point of view. Literally we don’t care, we’ll just buy X3 more Intel machines and pull 4x the power.

I haven’t come across that type of project for some time and I’m not sure I’d want me name attached to one TBH.

Associate
To pick Intel over AMD the project has to be run from a money no object point of view. Literally we don’t care, we’ll just buy X3 more Intel machines and pull 4x the power.

I haven’t come across that type of project for some time and I’m not sure I’d want me name attached to one TBH.

I can only see it make sense from a maintenance perspective, but at some point, when you need to scale or replace end-of-life hardware, migrating to more efficient hardware should be evaluated.

Soldato
OP
News just in Socket SP5 (Genoa onwards) has been pictured.

3h6edxb3ht981.jpg

Yes it is mahoooosive!!!

Back
Top Bottom