• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD brings back consumer HEDT, launches TRX50 platform, Threadripper 7xxx

Soldato
I think I’ll be doing the same unless there is something newer coming very soon. As cool as these new Threadrippers are, not much point if they are ££££ and have no benefits for gaming.

They will be £££££ but DIY console builders aren’t the market for this kind of system.

Last edited:
Soldato
I get why they moved to TRX40 for a proper multi-generational platform, but I don't think they fully anticipated just how much demand EPYC would have and just couldn't commit the chiplets to make Threadripper as well. And with Intel continually shatting the bed with Sapphire Rapids, there was no financial incentive for AMD to take the hit on EPYC.

Hopefully this out of the blue announcement marks a re-commitment to HEDT. Start over (again), PCIe 5 and DDR5, fresh platform that can also take Pro CPUs and knock out a couple generations of Threadripper. Because I don't see Granite Rapids being anywhere good enough to warrant a knee-jerk response from AMD, if indeed this is just a knee-jerk response.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Threadripper 7995x breaks multicore world records, scores 100k points in Cinebench R23 at stock and 148k points overclocked. The 96 core CPU ran at an all core speed of 4.4ghz and sipped 600watts

Records broken again

This time they got the 7995x up to 4.8ghz all core with its 96 cores, sipping 980watts and producing a score of 161k

That's an extra 61% performance from overclocking Threadripper. If only desktops CPUs could overclock like that..

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah that was posted here a reasonable while back.

It's expensive, loud and I can't recall if it ever proved to be better than heatpipe coolers. It has got a large plate to target TR type cpus but that's not unique.

Associate
Records broken again

This time they got the 7995x up to 4.8ghz all core with its 96 cores, sipping 980watts and producing a score of 161k

That's an extra 61% performance from overclocking Threadripper. If only desktops CPUs could overclock like that..

Crazy performance, but at 1KW, that's nuts

Soldato
OP
Records broken again

New world record again..

Scores are not much higher than when it was Air cooled, but they've now tried the 7995wx with water cooling. Its booting to windows with 5.2ghz all core, but it's only stable in benchmarks at 5.0ghz all core.

Cinebench r23 with 7995x at 5ghz all core: 168k points

LN2 cooling is next

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Didn't an earlier Xeon W require about that when not overclocked? But to put it into perspective, 980W for 96 cores is only 10W per core.

Intel's top Xeon under LN2 only scores 132k score and pulls 1800watts. This Threadripper pulls 1000watts, about 50% less power and scores 161k to 168k score with just air or water cooling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom