• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD brings back consumer HEDT, launches TRX50 platform, Threadripper 7xxx

Soldato
OP
Records broken again

This time they got the 7995x up to 4.8ghz all core with its 96 cores, sipping 980watts and producing a score of 161k

That's an extra 61% performance from overclocking Threadripper. If only desktops CPUs could overclock like that..

You guys knew it was coming

R24 record has been smashed once again and this time Derbauer got to film the whole thing

6ghz all core with 1.5v, cooled with LN2 avhieving 201k score in Cinebench R23

Associate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bei_2NNmvLs one of our OC guys got one. Never seen R23 finish so fast lol

Do be warned if you plan to play around with one:

image.png

Last edited:
Soldato
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bei_2NNmvLs one of our OC guys got one. Never seen R23 finish so fast lol

Do be warned if you plan to play around with one:

image.png
This message comes up in all BIOSes and i believe with Ryzen Master software should you enter the AMD overclocking section and modify any of the settings. This includes turning PBO on. I am not sure what it does but it sets some sort of switch on the CPU (Possibly efuse or something along those lines) which can be identified when the CPU is sent back under warranty to AMD. I guess we will have to see if anyone gets the RMA on a several thousand pound CPU rejected because of overclocking, only time will tell.

Soldato
OP
This message comes up in all BIOSes and i believe with Ryzen Master software should you enter the AMD overclocking section and modify any of the settings. This includes turning PBO on. I am not sure what it does but it sets some sort of switch on the CPU (Possibly efuse or something along those lines) which can be identified when the CPU is sent back under warranty to AMD. I guess we will have to see if anyone gets the RMA on a several thousand pound CPU rejected because of overclocking, only time will tell.

yeah software and bios warnings have been around for ages

but no manufacturer has implemented such a mechanism for recording the overclocking. I have to wonder if its even true

Soldato
but no manufacturer has implemented such a mechanism for recording the overclocking. I have to wonder if its even true

AMD is known for having these fuses, locking the CPU to - say - HP systems. That said, I have PBO enabled on my Ryzen 5 7700 and got no such message when I set it in the BIOS; I haven't tried running Ryzen Master yet.

Soldato
OP
AMD is known for having these fuses, locking the CPU to - say - HP systems. That said, I have PBO enabled on my Ryzen 5 7700 and got no such message when I set it in the BIOS; I haven't tried running Ryzen Master yet.

When I googled e fusing, it seemed to indicate the data was pre populated during production. For example if you use an e fuse to store a MAC address, it's fused on during manufacturing. How do they do the fusing after production while the chip is inside a PC?

Don
When I googled e fusing, it seemed to indicate the data was pre populated during production. For example if you use an e fuse to store a MAC address, it's fused on during manufacturing. How do they do the fusing after production while the chip is inside a PC?
In the case of the lenovo amd machines the vendor locking fuse is blown following a bios level prompt

Soldato
OP
In the case of the lenovo amd machines the vendor locking fuse is blown following a bios level prompt

That's really alarming. I wonder how long until consumer ryzen parts have these fuses. And when someone buys a second hand cpu they have no way of knowing it has no warranty due to xyz fusing from the previous owner

Last edited:
Associate
That's really alarming. I wonder how long until consumer ryzen parts have these fuses. And when someone buys a second hand cpu they have no way of knowing it has no warranty due to xyz fusing from the previous owner
When you buy 2nd hand these days you unfortunately have to assume it has no warranty - most are not transferable even if you have the original receipt.
That said, if this fuse exist(I still think its just urban myth/scare tactic) its probably readable by some software, we just dont know it yet.
It would be ironic that a company that build their following on being "consumer friend" would do such an extremely anti consumer thing.

Soldato
I will be testing, when i get some more boards, if a CPU that has been installed in a different motherboard and had the AMD Overclocking enabled shows up that the overclocking has been enabled. I enabled AMD Overclocking and tested PBO on the 7980X and the 7995WX, the results were very impressive. The power draw was also impressive... In a... WOW I cant believe how much that is pulling impressive.. lol.

Back
Top Bottom