• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD crashes in latest Steam survey

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
This is not true
24fps was found as the LOWEST fps human eye could still perceive as somewhat smooth, chosen for motion pictures. But the higher fps goes, the nicer it looks (and feels, for interaction).
Upper bound (as in, you could still feel a difference) would be somewhere beyond 1000fps.

I would always prefer going from 60 to 120 fps to going from 1080p to 1440p, even for desktop work.

What I mean is its subjective from person to person, we have an idea that 30 is low but perfectly playable - what is interesting will be what is ample as there is clearly a diminishing return once you get beyond a value like 200fps where even the most genetically gifted eyeballs will not determine any benefit. We also have displays where the gsync/freesync hz has to stay within a range and to avoid tearing you cap. I myself play on a 4k monitor and 60fps is pretty crisp for me.

Soldato
What I mean is its subjective from person to person, we have an idea that 30 is low but perfectly playable - what is interesting will be what is ample as there is clearly a diminishing return once you get beyond a value like 200fps where even the most genetically gifted eyeballs will not determine any benefit. We also have displays where the gsync/freesync hz has to stay within a range and to avoid tearing you cap. I myself play on a 4k monitor and 60fps is pretty crisp for me.

FPS in games is not the same as FPS in video.
In games, 30fps can be playable or a mess, depends on stutters, input lag, type of game you're playing. Sure, I was playing BF2 back in the day with 24-30fps somewhat good, but just is not the same as 60fps locked. i wouldn't call that experience as good, especially in FPS games.
Even some games can be a stutter mess at relatively high FPS due to stutters.

With that sad, 1080p@60fps is probably good enough for most. Even with RT. :)

Permabanned
With that sad, 1080p@60fps is probably good enough for most. Even with RT. :)

If they see 2160p, they won't want to return to 1080p.
1080p looks like 540p in reality. It's just a very low resolution.

"Good enough" is an illusion because they haven't seen what's better.

Soldato

I think it has more to do with pixel density and viewing distances. 1080p on my desk looks good, but 1080p on my face (Oculus Rift CV1) looked like Minecraft.

Moving up to 4k on my face with an HP Reverb looks good, but not as good as my son's 4K OLED TV.

But that's viewing distance again. My 1080p TV in my den doesn't look as good as my son's 4k TV but I'm sitting far enough away that I don't feel a burning need to upgrade the TV either.

Last edited:
Soldato

I think it has more to do with pixel density and viewing distances. 1080p on my desk looks good, but 1080p on my face (Oculus Rift CV1) looked like Minecraft.

Moving up to 4k on my face with an HP Reverb looks good, but not as good as my son's 4K OLED TV.

But that's viewing distance again. My 1080p TV in my den doesn't look as good as my son's 4k TV but I'm sitting far enough away that I don't feel a burning need to upgrade the TV either.

Exactly. Depends from what distance you look at it.
I have at work 22" 1080p which obviously is sharper than my 27" 1080p from home, but not by much. When weaker hardware is involved, 1080p with high details, high FPS, I would say is preferable to 4k low(er) details, low(er) fps.

i know some would prefer high IQ lower FPS (so 4k@30fps or whatever), but if you'd make a blind test, so starting to play directly in 1080p (after a break, not switching direclty from 4k), from a "proper" distance, I think you'd notice less than playing in 30fps or so variable fps.

Probably a bigger difference than 4k vs 1080p or 1440p, would be the type of panel and quality.

Associate

Pixel density is the key here.
I think you're talking about a 24" monitor or larger. Now scale this down to 14-15" (the average laptop) and see how much difference it makes.

Steam takes into account all kinds of PCs and the mass market are often laptops...

Permabanned
The thing is that the lower resolution means larger objects on the screen. So, when the user switches to 2160p, they get more objects on the screen:

Soldato
The thing is that the lower resolution means larger objects on the screen. So, when the user switches to 2160p, they get more objects on the screen:

They need to be large enough to see from the distance you are viewing the screen. As long as there are enough pixels to draw the "thing" you want on the screen clearly and smoothly, adding more pixels beyond that point is just adding excess work.

My Reverb can render an entire scene on its display, but it would be usless if I tried to view that scene from the distance I usually look at my monitor. Sure there would be a lot of objects, but they would be too small.

Soldato

If you mean desktop then yes but if you are talking about games then that’s not how it works as games use device coordinates not screen coordinates.

Permabanned
If you mean desktop then yes but if you are talking about games then that’s not how it works as games use device coordinates not screen coordinates.

I mean games as well. Try F1 2018 both at 1080p and 2160p to see how much more pleasant to the eyes is the 2160p. You get smaller everything and much nicer / richer to play environment.

Soldato

No.
in games is just pixel density, FoV remains the same.
Actually, to get MORE on screen, you'll need 3 monitors. So for 3x1080p, you'll actually have larger FoV than standard 4k and better performance (since is only around 75% of 4k). Of course, that means that 3x1080p screens will have need a more powerful CPU than one single display since there will be more objects to be rendered.

Permabanned
Actually, to get MORE on screen, you'll need 3 monitors. So for 3x1080p, you'll actually have larger FoV than standard 4k and better performance (since is only around 75% of 4k). Of course, that means that 3x1080p screens will have need a more powerful CPU than one single display since there will be more objects to be rendered.

Nonsense. :mad:

Soldato
I have a 1080p 65" TV and my son has a 65" 4k OLED. I would like the blacks on my TV to look more like his TV and might even shell out money for an upgrade soon. I will most likely end up with a 4K TV because I don't know of any OLED's that aren't 4K. -But I'm not looking to spend money on 4k resution.

I have seen the difference between 1080p and 4k and the resolution improvement itself just doesn't move the needle that much for me.

Last edited:
Associate
I have a 1080p 65" TV and my son has a 65" 4k OLED. I would like the blacks on my TV to look more like his TV and might even shell out money for an upgrade soon. I will most likely end up with a 4K TV because I don't know of any OLED's that aren't 4K. -But I'm not looking to spend money on 4k resution.

I have seen the difference between 1080p and 4k and the resolution improvement itself just doesn't move the needle that much for me.

HDR has as much if not more impact than just upgrading to 4k...

Back
Top Bottom