• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD crashes in latest Steam survey

Soldato
I will ignore.
4K is 4 monitors, not 3 1080p monitors.

Is healthy in general to change your point of view when is proven wrong.

1080p - https://ibb.co/WWZ6FYd
720p - https://ibb.co/Y3pNXSC

You can clearly see that the image is just the same (in terms of FoV), when only the resolution changes, but the aspect ration and FoV in game stay the same. That is why when moving from 16:9 1080p to 16:9 4k (or even back to 16:9 1280x720), only the density of the pixels change. That is why when you activate DLSS, Fidelity FX or any other in game personal resolution scale, only the resolution changes, not the FoV.

5760*1080 with DLSS - https://ibb.co/RyR9kgX
5760*1080 without DLSS - https://ibb.co/tctpdLK

Look at CPU3 in all pictures, that thread is almost maxed out at 90%+ both in 1080p and 720p. Once the extra FoV is increased (due to the extra screen - 3 in total), the FPS drops because the CPU was already maxed out in normal 16:9, 100FoV in game set (poorly threaded game, although a Vulkan one), so extra work is needed now for maintaining the same FPS... which cannot be done, ergo lower performance.

So, going wider from 16:9, you'll need extra CPU power, in which case, the old "the higher the res, the less important the CPU becomes", is not always true. The demand of a more powerful CPU increases with FoV.

Soldato
What I mean is its subjective from person to person, we have an idea that 30 is low but perfectly playable - what is interesting will be what is ample as there is clearly a diminishing return once you get beyond a value like 200fps where even the most genetically gifted eyeballs will not determine any benefit. We also have displays where the gsync/freesync hz has to stay within a range and to avoid tearing you cap. I myself play on a 4k monitor and 60fps is pretty crisp for me.

I play PUBG 144hz 1440p, and now have a system that can run it at that.

The difference between 60 FPS and 144fps is night and day.

Even 80-90fps Vs 144 is a very noticeable difference.

What I cant tell you is if I had it running at 300fps how much of a difference that makes.

60fps is fine for single player games, but for anything competitive where fractions of a second count it's not good enough.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I play PUBG 144hz 1440p, and now have a system that can run it at that.

The difference between 60 FPS and 144fps is night and day.

Even 80-90fps Vs 144 is a very noticeable difference.

What I cant tell you is if I had it running at 300fps how much of a difference that makes.

60fps is fine for single player games, but for anything competitive where fractions of a second count it's not good enough.

I do take your word for it, I have not played on a 144hz panel but if I do I will revise. I don't play the competitive shooters these days, chiefly because of a slow internet connection (and Im older). No point in having best panels etc if Im on a 10Mb down 150ms connection (I played warzone with it and while enjoyable to some degree, you could tell my setup was hampered chiefly by internet connection latency).

Regarding the bold part, that is what I was asking. At what point do we get where having more is simply wasted and quality becomes the forefront again? Are people using 360Hz displays going to say the same 'night and day'?

Caporegime
It seems everytime AMD are about break the 30% mark there is a massive influx of old Chinese Win 7 Intel systems. and it is tens of thousands at least to make a 7 percentage point difference. It happens over and over again, its a clear pattern.
Meanwhile i have had this 5800X for 9 months, i use Steam every day and still haven't had a Steam Hardware Survey request.

If Valve really wanted to show an accurate view of the hardware its users run it would do what others do, simply collect that information from everyone automatically as part of the user agreement and then publish that, the fact that so many people use it for content generation and Intel have been known to use it as a marketing tool probably explains why its set up to put out whatever result is desired.

The whole thing is utter garbage.

Associate
It seems everytime AMD are about break the 30% mark there is a massive influx of old Chinese Win 7 Intel systems. and it is tens of thousands at least to make a 7 percentage point difference. It happens over and over again, its a clear pattern.
Meanwhile i have had this 5800X for 9 months, i use Steam every day and still haven't had a Steam Hardware Survey request.

If Valve really wanted to show an accurate view of the hardware its users run it would do what others do, simply collect that information from everyone automatically as part of the user agreement and then publish that, the fact that so many people use it for content generation and Intel have been known to use it as a marketing tool probably explains why its set up to put out whatever result is desired.

The whole thing is utter garbage.

Does it really matter in the end? AMD's financials are thriving and they are selling anything they are making right now, I wouldn't loose sleep over a survey TBH.

Soldato
In reality AMD must be very dominating in sales now.

I’ve just been looking at some C426 upgrades and it works out better to just move to AM4. I can buy a motherboard, 3000MT, RAM and a Ryzen 5000 CPU with ECC support for less than price of an Intel CPU.

Just looked at a large online retailer and 9 out of its 10 top selling CPU’s are AMD.

Last edited:
Soldato
He is wrong. If I upload pictures of F1 2018 at 1080p and 2160p showing two completely different pictures, will he be treated as the wrong? :D
You really do talk absolute nonsense sometimes. :D

If he is wrong then why don't you just do as you just suggested; post up pics of F1 2018 at 1080p and 2160p and show us two completely different pictures - with so much extra width and height of the scene shown on the 2160p?

I'll tell you what, I'll do it for you just in case you don't have a 4k and 1080p screen to show us these "completely different pictures".

F1 2018 taken at the same position on the Russian track.

1080p monitor
51492693598_fd306e928f_k.jpg

2160p 4K TV
51492693558_94ffac226e_k.jpg

Proof of resolution
1080p
51491680812_d50b619fe6_k.jpg

2160p
51493397565_ff6ab6aeaa_k.jpg

We will wait with baited breath for your 'evidence' from F1 2018 as you proposed to prove which person is actually talking nonsense.

In reality AMD must be very dominating in sales now......Just looked at a large online retailer and 9 out of its 10 top selling CPU’s are AMD.
AMD definitely are, though ironically as Intel are still pretty competitive in the midrange they are still selling units.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seems like the Steam survey is more a measure of the used Chinese component market. I’d think the GTX1060 popular because of the mining cards Nvidia pushed hard in China.

Associate
The Steam survey is useless if it doesn't report the hardware for the entire Steam userbase as an automatic thing, what if Steam did a survey on more Intel users than AMD ones even though the majority of the Steam userbase for example could be AMD, just makes the whole thing invalid.

I've been with Steam and logged in pretty much daily since around 2004 and in all of that time I've had less than 5 surveys, absolute crap.

Back
Top Bottom