• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD freesync coming soon, no extra costs.... shocker

dbd4ed732681e3a57270a173b93a1ba8.jpg

Fixed that for you :p

:D:cool:

If I corrected everyone's spelling on here I'd go insane.

It's the appalling grammar which gets me. Spell the word right but then the wrong context.

you're your

their there they're

Well look at you Mr perfect, not everyone here will have perfect English spelling and grammar I for one know my spelling and grammar isn't the best but why should that stop me coming on the forum.

Think your post is really rude and disrespectful.

Well that was a surprise. I knew AMD were going to hit back with something but I didn't expect something this soon. The only reason I went to Nvidia on my recent 780 purchase was for Gsync, but I am returning the 780 using DSR as I just don't like Nvidia drivers and the card just feels **** in general.

Cannot wait to get my 290 now at the end of the week hopefully.

Does anyone know if this is likely to work on a Samsung 700D 120hz monitor? As I understand it, the hardware stuff is in the GCN cards not the monitor?

Well that was a surprise. I knew AMD were going to hit back with something but I didn't expect something this soon. The only reason I went to Nvidia on my recent 780 purchase was for Gsync, but I am returning the 780 using DSR as I just don't like Nvidia drivers and the card just feels **** in general.

Cannot wait to get my 290 now at the end of the week hopefully.

Does anyone know if this is likely to work on a Samsung 700D 120hz monitor? As I understand it, the hardware stuff is in the GCN cards not the monitor?

The monitor needs to support the Vblanking feature which, I don't know for any certainty but I'm guessing that very few screens currently support it. It's a new proposed standard, it has made it's way into new screens already(the toshiba laptop supports it, but you wouldn't want to game on that :p ). I strongly suspect most current monitors won't work with it. I suspect that certain gaming oriented monitor manufacturers have been persuaded, or dissuaded from pushing to release monitors with Vblanking as soon as they had maybe planned.

I have a 700d also, but I really think a new monitor will be required for it. I'm in no particular rush because the difference is going to be exponentially smaller the higher the framerate you have in games. G-sync/freesync will probably follow an exponential curve, making the biggest difference at 30fps, much less difference at 60fps, and by circa 90fps will be very small.

Based on the quality of my 700d, I think i'd quite happily wait for a Samsung replacement, they seem to have been quite neutral, not going 3dvision, no sign they went g-sync, so hopefully will get a screen for it sooner rather than later.

Basically I'd see any current screens supporting it as a massive bonus, but expect to be looking for a new screen.

Someone on Rage3D says

"any DirectDrive Monitor (DDM 1.0+) display should support it..
circa 2010"

How true that is, i don't know though. I also don't know if my monitor supports that. ^ :p

Pana never supports backward compatibility on anything, nor enables extra features on old products.

I'd say a 100% No.

There isn't even a certainty that the whole technology will even work properly for years or months. See how long it takes for mantle to come out and be optimized for more than one game.

Ok cool I guessed it wouldn't.

I hadn't really considered it still might be years away from release.

It's not about the hardware needed on the GPU,

You dismiss the needed GPU hardware very easily.:rolleyes:
The bottom line is that the AMD GPU's have supported this for three generations, so they have the hardware necessary.

Until we get more info the rest is all just speculation.

It seems that it's possible it's part of the display port spec but monitor makers maybe don't actually have to pay any attention to it, so display port is set up for it already but monitors may not have put any software in place to use it.

I think we'll find out relatively soon, Anand or one of 50 other guys will ask AMD, vesa, someone about it and get an answer.

Guess, it's part of display port spec, it's not required yet in Vesa so many screens haven't ever used it, most new screens will want to do it for power saving reasons. We'll get gaming screens with 120+hz with whatever is required included monitor side and we all get it. Changable refresh rate for power saving has been on the cards for several years, so it's likely everyone was building up to this and someone decided to jump the gun with a non standard version...

Something more interesting is if this would come to tv's soon, and if both consoles support it, because it's likely given that Kabini supports it. With tv panels being so much bigger and using so much more power, the push for greener tv's will probably see it pushed forward.

The bottom line is that the AMD GPU's have supported this for three generations, so they have the hardware necessary.

I dismissed nothing, don't put words in my mouth thanks. The hardware GPU side is NOT relevant to the hardware monitor side, this is not speculation. If a monitor is using a soon to be industry standard, AMD could not lock out another Vesa member using this for free OR a non member using it for a small cost. They couldn't use AMD's hardware implementation but they can use the monitor's implementation, it's up to whoever else to decide how to output the signals however they want.

AMD can't take a stranglehold on a Vesa standard, everything up to the output of the gpu is AMD, everything beyond that has to adhere to industry standards.

AMD/Nvidia/Intel all have different hardware but can all output a 120hz signal.... how AMD does it doesn't have to be identical to how Nvidia or Intel do it, that doesn't mean they can stop a screen using an industry standard method from working with other hardware.

Someone on Rage3D says

"any DirectDrive Monitor (DDM 1.0+) display should support it..
circa 2010"

How true that is, i don't know though. I also don't know if my monitor supports that. ^ :p

If your monitor has anything other than a single DP port then it isnt DDM
DDM was another power saving thing from 2008, I can only find a single Dell monitor that has it

MY Original comment

If it needs the hardware that is present in AMD GPU's then it wont work on non AMD GPU's.

the (yet another pointless argument) conversation that followed.

It's not about the hardware needed on the GPU, the lock in is on the screens.

I dismissed nothing, don't put words in my mouth thanks. The hardware GPU side is NOT relevant to the hardware monitor side, this is not speculation.

This statement is quite correct, one does not necessarily have a bearing on the other.

With many posters in this thread maybe you thought you were answering someone else, or thought I said something else I don't know. But my original statement is perfectly correct.

If it needs the hardware that is present in AMD GPU's then it wont work on non AMD GPU's

I know that using comments in a tech article is a pretty poor source (especially since they are translated from another language), but if what they are saying is true then it will make freesync virtually useless for gaming because it doesn't work very well with a constantly varying refresh rate (which would explain why AMD went with a demo that had a perfectly constant framrate):
http://be.hardware.info/nieuws/38467/ces-amd-toont-gratis-alternatief-voor-g-sync-freesync

Buzz Buzz said:
Free Sync will not work as well as G-Sync.
FreeSync must framerate predict and that the refresh rate / VBI dynamically set. This costs performance because it has to be calculated and V-sync must be on. At G-Sync card can tell the monitor when to change again. This may be so in FreeSync not!
However, the question will be whether the difference in quality is worth the price of G-Sync. Wait until there is objective comparisons are made ​​with real setups.

I don't pretend to understand the technical details of how vsync and gsync are working, and I also freely admit that the source I'm getting this from is a bit crap, but if this is actually the case then it would certainly explain why nvidia went with the gsync route when they must have known about the vesa standard that was in development that freesync is using.

If this guy is talking from his behind then do please carry on as you were :)

Last edited:
No wonder this industry is in such a mess when standards body (ie VESA) is basically run by no one else but those MAD guys (amd). Sometimes someone has to take a charge and make things happen for REAL

Back
Top Bottom