• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD freesync coming soon, no extra costs.... shocker

It uses a VESA standard to enable variable refresh rates, it's something some existing screens can already do, it's just not completely finished.

Way to go Nvidia, taking a standard and a move towards "freesync" and jumping the gun early, adding hardware, and cost and then charging ONLY Nvidia customers the extra.

variable refresh has been around before yes

G-Sync uses VBLANK to hold the frame until the GPU is ready. Currently the technology is held back by panels themselves, so the delay seen with G-Sync if any will only decrease given refresh rate increases.

The fact it's free doensn't interest me. If FreeSync is just adjusting VBLANK on the fly at driver level instead of holding the frame in the same fashion, the affects will certainly not be better, possibly matched. If you're willing to make your decision before seeing either that speaks words for itself.

Last edited:
variable refresh has been around before yes

G-Sync uses VBLANK to hold the frame until the GPU is ready. Currently the technology is held back by panels themselves, so the delay seen with G-Sync if any will only decrease given refresh rate increases.

The fact it's free doensn't interest me. If FreeSync is just adjusting VBLANK on the fly at driver level instead of holding the frame in the same fashion, the affects will certainly not be better, possibly matched. If you're willing to make your decision before seeing either that speaks words for itself.

Isn't gsync creating frames and throwing them out at an equal time to the monitor whereas freesync is creating frames and holding the monitor back until its ready to throw a new one (producing/shooting blanks).?

I don't really understand, anyone got a dumb persons guide lol.

Isn't gsync creating frames and throwing them out at an equal time to the monitor whereas freesync is creating frames and holding the monitor back until its ready to throw a new one (producing/shooting blanks).?

I don't really understand, anyone got a dumb persons guide lol.

FreeSync is using (from what I've read so far) the power saving within the panel to hold the refresh rate till the GPU requires it to change.

G-Sync isn't designed as a power saving feature primarily for one, so read into that what you will, and holds each frame individually until the GPU is ready to display it. It's designed for the purpose for which it was intended and at hardware level.
Also the fact it works on slower panels isn't nessessarily a good thing. The faster the panel the longer G-Sync is able to hold the frame. 6.9ms (144Hz). How long a notebook panel at 60Hz would be able to hold a frame, when the panels primarily designed to use it as a powersave, remains to be seen.

It might just be me, but it seems that they're manipulating Toshibas panels to fit their own gain, so basically the ground work on their part is already done within their engine.

So it's cost AMD nothing to implement. Good for them.

Last edited:
Gsync does not work with all games/multi monitor though, according to Nvidia's own FAQ. I wonder if FreeSync will work properly with EVERY game and multi monitor.

Does Gsync work with SLI?

GSync works with SLi yes, and TBH I think they're covering their backs with game support. I think games which don't will be few and far between.

Now you mention multi GPU, I wonder how FreeSync will effect frame pacing issues still present.

According to Koduri, the lack of adoption is simply due to a lack of momentum or demand for the feature, which was originally pitched as a power-saving measure. Adding support in a monitor should be essentially "free" and perhaps possible via a firmware update. The only challenge is that each display must know how long its panel can sustain the proper color intensity before it begins to fade. The vblank interval can't be extended beyond this limit without affecting color fidelity.

Also what's the point in releasing features to reduce input lag when you can't even fix frame pacing for most cards.

Factual dig :D

Honestly, imagine if G-Sync wasn't propitiatory...would we get articles about how G-Sync is crippled on AMD hardware? "It could be frame pacing, but how much is to do with frame pacing?" :D

FreeSync is using (from what I've read so far) the power saving within the panel to hold the refresh rate till the GPU requires it to change.

G-Sync isn't designed as a power saving feature primarily for one, so read into that what you will, and holds each frame individually until the GPU is ready to display it. It's designed for the purpose for which it was intended and at hardware level.
Also the fact it works on slower panels isn't nessessarily a good thing. The faster the panel the longer G-Sync is able to hold the frame. 6.9ms (144Hz). How long a notebook panel at 60Hz would be able to hold a frame, when the panels primarily designed to use it as a powersave, remains to be seen.

It might just be me, but it seems that they're manipulating Toshibas panels to fit their own gain, so basically the ground work on their part is already done within their engine.

So it's cost AMD nothing to implement. Good for them.

Thanks.

It sounds as if Nvidia have jumped in first (as they do with there bigger budget) and basically made hardware to force G-Sync on. I'm saying force but their just making it work in their way, copyright ******** (as opposed to what it will anyway).

AMD on the other hand are doing it in a cleverer way (no hardware) so it will take a little longer to program.

Its all good though. Basically if you want it now you pay.

AMD should come in soon with something similar and when theirs come's in everyone will jump on (it will have bugs) and NVidia will probably follow suit with a software design (theirs will have bug and they'll be playing catchup on optimisation). By that time they will have grabbed their cash.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom