• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***AMD Freesync owners thread***

Soldato
Anyone with a 1440P 144Hz monitor, what are you powering them with?
Doesn't seem like there's a lot of options between RX580 and Vega 56

1440p over 100hz is pretty savage on requirements unless you turn settings way down. For an AMD setup you wouldnt want anything less than a V64 tbh. You might be better off waiting on the new releases over the next few months or even a 2nd hand 980ti as a stop gap.

Soldato
1440p over 100hz is pretty savage on requirements unless you turn settings way down. For an AMD setup you wouldnt want anything less than a V64 tbh. You might be better off waiting on the new releases over the next few months or even a 2nd hand 980ti as a stop gap.
Yeah, as mentioned in my thread. It's a shame there's not a lot of AMD cards atm to power some cracking Freesync monitors.
Apart from freesync, what downside is there to having a nice Freesync monitor along with a 980Ti/Nvidia card?

Soldato
Anyone with a 1440P 144Hz monitor, what are you powering them with?
Doesn't seem like there's a lot of options between RX580 and Vega 56
Acer XF270HU (1440p/144Hz) with a Vega 64. Work very well together.

A pair of R9 390s also worked well, albeit only when there was a crossfire profile.

Ree

Ree

Associate
Yeah, as mentioned in my thread. It's a shame there's not a lot of AMD cards atm to power some cracking Freesync monitors.
Apart from freesync, what downside is there to having a nice Freesync monitor along with a 980Ti/Nvidia card?

i had my freesync monitor with a 1080 and it was nowhere near as smooth as my vega 64 with freesync it really is night and day the difference imo.

Soldato

Was watched this 4 days ago, noticed HardwareCanucks published the video on 6 April. Not surprised they not updated Windows 10 to version 1803 to tested HDR that will be done properly and the headline should be something like "HDR Gaming Monitors With 1803 Spring Creators Update - Ready for Prime Time!

Hieu Nguyen posted comment about 1803 update:

Hieu Nguyen 3 days ago
Windows 10 SCU 1803 fixed the pink issue. Currently my windows 10 HDR setting always on , chrome quick fix is set it to sRGB color profile.

Associate
I finally got to play Bastion when I got my AOC freesync monitor. The game had horrid tearing both on a gtx 760 and an amd Fury. No matter what I tried, v-sync on or off, it looked awful. Somehow freesync sorted this out, great game!

Associate
i had my freesync monitor with a 1080 and it was nowhere near as smooth as my vega 64 with freesync it really is night and day the difference imo.
Yeah I'm tied to it now. Which is good and bad. Good as I love it but right now I just want to grab a 1060. 580s are still close to £400

Caporegime
580s are still close to £400

Nah they're still dipping under £300 on occasion, just keep your eyes open for Gibbo's posts when they do drop now and again. It's def worth sticking with Freesync if you can, makes a difference.

edit - Just a little search showed a decent 8GB model at £287.

Ree

Ree

Associate
Yeah I'm tied to it now. Which is good and bad. Good as I love it but right now I just want to grab a 1060. 580s are still close to £400

yeah amd prices just are not worth it at the moment unfortunately, but with bitcoin tumbling prices will come down more. no doubt the etailers etc will try drag it out as long as they can and also kid on they're a gamers best friend again lol.

Associate
Hi guys, few questions about freesync please:
- I have a 34UC98 on the way (warranty replacement for my old 34um95) which has a 'poor' freesync range of 55-75Hz. Plan is to lower this to ~35Hz using CRU - is this guaranteed or panel dependent?
- I've read conflicting reports on how best to use freesync i.e enable FRTC, v-sync etc. What are the optimal settings?

Soldato
Depends what kinds of games you play and what kinds of settings you're happy with. RX 480 is sufficient for 1440p >60 Hz for me: I don't need high/ultra settings and I almost never play stupidly GPU-bound and demanding AAA games.

Back
Top Bottom