• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD FSR 3.0 has exposed the ugly truth about most PC gamers

Soldato
As someone with a gsync ultimate 175hz monitor, this isn't correct. Higher FPS provides more motion fluidity thus a smoother image in play, which is one of the main reasons to have high fps in the first place, even in hogwarts where the base fps is already like 80 fps, jumping to 130+ is noticeably better in this regard.

MSFS is not the kind of game you'll see a huge benefit in due to the sim like slow nature of it.

In my opinion if you are getting 80FPS enabling fake frames does nothing substantial to add to your experience. It is already good and enabling fake frames simply makes it appear smoother.

Where fake frames should be a game changer is making slower GPUs useable, but it actually arguably makes things worse. If your old GPU is giving 30FPS you would imagine fake frames giving you nearly 60 FPS would be a literal and figurative “game changer”. You would not need to pay the silly money for an even mediocre GPU. For such people the trade off for those fake frames is increased lag and more visible graphical artefacts. The artefacts are masked more the higher the base FPS gets, at which point the entire reason for fake frames becomes moot IMHO.

So if your main argument for how great fake frames is boils down to, “it makes my already 80 FPS smooth RTX games look smoother”. Well good for you, but I would argue that for the majority, that’s like reducing tax for the rich and calling it a “boon for the economy”.

Edit: Also there are plenty of scenarios in flight sims where you need high response times and accuracy. Air racing and stunt flying etc. MSFS is not just about flying a big sedate bus with wings. So it’s a bit condescending to assume anyone playing MSFS won’t see any benefit in real (ie not fake) FPS improvements.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Not sure what all that was about, but for me it makes a very nice difference in the games I tried. Unfortunately it is not in the games I am playing now so not even used it apart from testing in some games.

Try it in Cyberpunk 2077.

Caporegime
OP
In my opinion if you are getting 80FPS enabling fake frames does nothing substantial to add to your experience. It is already good and enabling fake frames simply makes it appear smoother.

Where fake frames should be a game changer is making slower GPUs useable, but it actually arguably makes things worse. If your old GPU is giving 30FPS you would imagine fake frames giving you nearly 60 FPS would be a literal and figurative “game changer”. You would not need to pay the silly money for an even mediocre GPU. For such people the trade off for those fake frames is increased lag and more visible graphical artefacts. The artefacts are masked more the higher the base FPS gets, at which point the entire reason for fake frames becomes moot IMHO.

So if your main argument for how great fake frames is boils down to, “it makes my already 80 FPS smooth RTX games look smoother”. Well good for you, but I would argue that for the majority, that’s like reducing tax for the rich and calling it a “boon for the economy”.

Edit: Also there are plenty of scenarios in flight sims where you need high response times and accuracy. Air racing and stunt flying etc. MSFS is not just about flying a big sedate bus with wings. So it’s a bit condescending to assume anyone playing MSFS won’t see any benefit in real (ie not fake) FPS improvements.

"appear smoother" - it is smoother and more fluid, which is exactly the reason you want higher fps.... this is not opinion, it's fact as backed up by several reputable sources so the claim of it provides nothing is just false. This is what makes frame gen good, yes it doesn't improve latency to make it feel like the real xyz FPS but if you're wanting a smoother and more fluid game then frame gen precisely achieves this. If you aren't sensitive to motion clarity, fluidness then yes, it may not be noticeable to you, personally for me and as shown, many others, it is, especially since I'm gaming on a QD-OLED screen.

Daniel Owen covers it well:

Agree on the base fps for lower gpus, having said that, based on my experience testing the FSR 3 mod on my 3080, ark survival enhanced and cp 2077 despite the base fps being 40-50 fps, it feels and plays a **** ton better with frame gen on than off. But it also seems to come down to the game or/and mod/fsr 3 as in dying light 2 for example, even with a base fps of 70, it's awful but I'm pretty sure this is down to something to do with fsr 3/mod or/and the game as the motion blur/clarity takes a nose dive completely in this particular game. Input lag when your base fps is 60+ is pretty much a non issue "for me" on my display but I do notice the latency when base fps is say 40 but I'll take that if it means a smoother looking game (as long as artifacting is not too bad/noticeable).

Also, blurbusters take on fake frames:

Soldato
"appear smoother" - it is smoother and more fluid, which is exactly the reason you want higher fps.... this is not opinion, it's fact as backed up by several reputable sources so the claim of it provides nothing is just false. This is what makes frame gen good, yes it doesn't improve latency to make it feel like the real xyz FPS but if you're wanting a smoother and more fluid game then frame gen precisely achieves this. If you aren't sensitive to motion clarity, fluidness then yes, it may not be noticeable to you, personally for me and as shown, many others, it is, especially since I'm gaming on a QD-OLED screen.

Daniel Owen covers it well:

Agree on the base fps for lower gpus, having said that, based on my experience testing the FSR 3 mod on my 3080, ark survival enhanced and cp 2077 despite the base fps being 40-50 fps, it feels and plays a **** ton better with frame gen on than off. But it also seems to come down to the game or/and mod/fsr 3 as in dying light 2 for example, even with a base fps of 70, it's awful but I'm pretty sure this is down to something to do with fsr 3/mod or/and the game as the motion blur/clarity takes a nose dive completely in this particular game. Input lag when your base fps is 60+ is pretty much a non issue "for me" on my display but I do notice the latency when base fps is say 40 but I'll take that if it means a smoother looking game (as long as artifacting is not too bad/noticeable).

Also, blurbusters take on fake frames:

I have the 3080FE too and ARK Ascended works very well with both LukeFZ and Nukem mod. I still have to turn down settings to get around 70fps with FSR3 FG enabled though which just shows how badly optimized that game is. CP2077 goes from 45fps to around 70fps with full PT on and definitely feels smoother and I haven't felt much input lag.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom