• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD GPU sales tanking

Caporegime
it doesnt help AMD screwing their base, fans go out and buy their gpu's, but within a short time it starts dropping prices from silly high prices. it would seriously pee me off if happened to moi

Then people should hold off, offers are always bound to crop up. But some people feel the need to be day 1 buyers which always carries the potential of missing out on offers a few weeks down the line.

Soldato
Then people should hold off, offers are always bound to crop up. But some people feel the need to be day 1 buyers which always carries the potential of missing out on offers a few weeks down the line.

Am thinking the other way

After years of watching the prices of nvidia 2000 + 3000 + 4000 series and buying ages after release i don't think it was worth waiting at all as there has been no offers worth waiting for
Some times the prices have increased after release (mainly due to supply & demand)

Plus GPU's are normally sold out a few weeks after release

Last edited:
Caporegime
Am thinking the other way

After years of watching the prices of nvidia 2000 + 3000 + 4000 series and buying ages after release i don't think it was worth waiting at all as there has been no offers worth waiting for
Some times the prices have increased after release (mainly due to supply & demand)

Plus GPU's are normally sold out a few weeks after release

But you can bet your ass the minute you get one early, suddely there's an offer on it shortly after, that's usually the way things go!

Soldato
Surely that's a bad precedent to set. Encourage your fans not to buy your products because price cuts are always just around the corner?
How long do you wait before buying? 1 month? 2 months? 3 months? 6 months? 1 year?
Even if there is a price cut, what if there's another one just around the corner?

And then the product release looks like a failure because nobody's buying it as they're all waiting for price cuts.

Soldato
And then the product release looks like a failure because nobody's buying it as they're all waiting for price cuts.
if the product is good enough and good value,then price cuts in short term aren't necessary, which encourages buying, plus if a company is known for price cutting soon after release, then surely that's the company fault. any gamer with half a brain cell is going to hold off on buying knowing price cuts incoming

Associate
Then the onus is on amd to create solutions which are on par or better than nvidia and preferably by beating them to the punch and not coming out months/years later. Until this changes, it will always be an uphill battle for amd especially when they charge in the same ballpark as a company that offers arguably the better "overall" package.

For me, this was the difference when getting my 3080. The overall package won out … and to date since … it’s hard to see where the upgrade value is from on either side , and as a result I’ve not bought anything … I suppose I contribute to the decline then.

Man of Honour
OP
if the product is good enough and good value,then price cuts in short term aren't necessary, which encourages buying, plus if a company is known for price cutting soon after release, then surely that's the company fault. any gamer with half a brain cell is going to hold off on buying knowing price cuts incoming

start at 11:20
basically what i've been saying the whole time lol

Caporegime
Surely that's a bad precedent to set. Encourage your fans not to buy your products because price cuts are always just around the corner?
How long do you wait before buying? 1 month? 2 months? 3 months? 6 months? 1 year?
Even if there is a price cut, what if there's another one just around the corner?

That's entirely up to the company in question. I don't really care one way or the other as i don't have a gpu preference.

Last edited:
Associate
Yea so don't blame AMD for the high prices?

Don't give them excuses. They should release at realistic prices from the off and then we don't have to argue for them about the market share for another 2 years...

Caporegime
Yea so don't blame AMD for the high prices?

I didn't say that, prices with gpus and cpus can fluctuate quite a bit a few weeks after launch, especially with amd. Hence why i rarely ever buy on launch at all these days, the day 1 ******** is bad enough, and there's been more than enough drama on here over the years, especially with products mysteriously changing price between adding it to the basked and hitting the checkout, or checking out only to find out the card has oversold and you have to wait.

Better off waiting a few weeks imo

Associate
No doubt it's better waiting but you shouldn't have to especially not for price concerns. Waiting for the bug and niggles to be worked out fair enough but not because the morons have priced them too high. The price may have pushed many people to buy a rivals gpu...

Caporegime
No doubt it's better waiting but you shouldn't have to especially not for price concerns. Waiting for the bug and niggles to be worked out fair enough but not because the morons have priced them too high. The price may have pushed many people to buy a rivals gpu...

Indeed, this slightly cheaper pish simply doesn't cut it, be interesting to see the pricing for the new cards later this year (allegedly) and where they're positioned price wise, especially if the top end is going to be around 7900xtx performance but with a new ray tracing setup.

Associate

Yeah they should price it right from the start so no need for the quick price cuts

Does sometimes think AMD are clueless.

I'll say it again, their product stack was labelled a tier higher than it should have, if they released as they should have would have sold loads of cards from the off and they wouldn't have had to do the super quick discounting which annoys everyone even more.

I think they were caught out with the design flaw they baked into the 7000 series, and they wasn't expecting the 4090, this caught them on the hop, but were saved by Nvidia pricing their line up up a teir higher than it should be, and AMD thinking they were handed a get out of jail free card.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I'll say it again, their product stack was labelled a tier higher than it should have, if they released as they should have would have sold loads of cards from the off and they wouldn't have had to do the super quick discounting which annoys everyone even more.

nvidia tried to pull a fast one and everyone noticed the tier shuffle deceit AND the price hike at the same move. It didn't go down well and we got an unlaunched box rename of shame to prove it. AMD copied and are now paying the price as they are in their 5700 phase between gens (struggling to compete at the high end). They will have to work miracles sticking with gddr6 but who knows how its going to play out - the main thing is both vendors stop shafting on the prices but AI is the new garlic bread unfortunately, so stock up on lube talc.

Soldato
Does sometimes think AMD are clueless.
Nope.

Went and looked to see where they sit in the list-38th richest company in the world, surprised as didn't think they were anywhere near that

Think people need to realise they know exactly what they're doing with price em high as it clealy works.

Both of them have manipulated available stock all through the channels since last gen at least when AMD caught right up with NV out of nowhere.

They've both successfully cut out the scalpers in discrete-job done they got the scalpers cut too, they both got ALL the profits this gen.

If the rumours are true that AMD's starting at the mid range first, they're shifting to a maximise profit model in discrete.

Soldato
Nope.

Went and looked to see where they sit in the list-38th richest company in the world, surprised as didn't think they were anywhere near that

Think people need to realise they know exactly what they're doing with price em high as it clealy works.
Lets not even start to pretend AMD's great success is from their discrete GPU offerings. :D

Back
Top Bottom