• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD GPU sales tanking

Associate
To be fair its in the article, AMD share has gone from 19% to 12%, Intel's share has gone from 1% to 0%. Nvidia have gone from 80% to 88%.

AMD's market share continues in perpetual decline, eventually AMD will have no choice but to bow out as it becomes unsuitable, I think a lot of PCMR idiots would like that... Intel, they can't even get a toenail in the door as every review outlet is doing their best to given them a leg up.
Mean yeah if we are just discussing market share.

But when overall sales are actually declining for an industry, its a bigger issue as a lot of vendors are less likely to drop price as they are likely to reduce production volume, which Nvidia and AMD has done with this generation already which unfortunate led to prices staying high still to this point.

Market share is one thing, sales decline effects the whole chain including OCUK, we will see less offers as well - I haven't seen a GPU offer in a long time.

But at the same time, I can't recommend people buying at a high price either, its a really bad situation for consumers.

Last edited:
Suspended
Mean yeah if we are just discussing market share.

But when overall sales are actually declining for an industry, its a bigger issue as a lot of vendors are less likely to drop price as they are likely to reduce production volume, which Nvidia and AMD has done with this generation already which unfortunate led to prices staying high still to this point.

Market share is one thing, sales decline effects the whole chain including OCUK, we will see less offers as well - I haven't seen a GPU offer in a long time.

The 7900 XT was too expensive on launch, $900 was stupid stupid stupid, what were they thinking?

They also did a stupid on top of a stupid, they changed the naming scheme:

7900 XTX : 6900 XT
7900 XT : 6800 XT at a silly price.
7800 XT : 6800
7700 XT : 6700 XT WTF????
7600 XT : ????????
7600 : 6600 XT ??????????

Not only did that confuse customers, it also gave ammunition for click bait titled 'i'm angry' Youtube vomit.

Lets look at pricing.

6900 XT $1000 > 7900 XTX $1000, ok that's fine.
6800 XT $650 > 7900 XT $900, that's not fine, that's bad.
6800 $580 > 7800 XT $500, that's good, its as fast as the 6900 XT, overclocks a lot higher and is actually better' faster with RT. All good stuff IMO, so i bought one.
6700 XT $480 > 7700 XT $450, meh, its not bad but its not good either, the 6700 XT was always over priced, the 7700 XT should have been $420.

The 7900 XTX is now $850
The 7900 XT now $700
The 7800 XT now $450
The 7700 XT now $380

Those are good prices.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 7900 XT was too expensive on launch, $900 was stupid stupid stupid, what were they thinking?

They also did a stupid on top of a stupid, they changed the naming scheme:

7800 XT : 6800
7700 XT : 6700 XT WTF????

Not only did that confuse customers, it also gave ammunition for click bait titled 'i'm angry' Youtube vomit.

Lets look at pricing.

6900 XT $1000 > 7900 XTX $1000, ok that's fine.
6800 XT $650 > 7900 XT $900, that's not fine, that's bad.
6800 $580 > 7800 XT $500, that's good, its as fast as the 6900 XT, overclocks a lot higher and is actually better' faster with RT. All good stuff IMO, so i bought one.
6700 XT $480 > 7700 XT $450, meh, its not bad but its not good either, the 6700 XT was always over priced, the 7700 XT should have been $420.

The 7900 XTX is now $850
The 7900 XT now $700
The 7800 XT now $450
The 7700 XT now $380

Those are good prices.

7900Gre : 6800
7800 XT : 6700xt
7700 XT : 6700 WTF????

I personally see it this way as the 7800xt uses the middle end chip like the 6700xt, while the 6800 uses the top chip just scaled down some more like the 7900 GRE

Last edited:
Soldato
Justified criticism from Hardwareunboxed is *not* a hissy fit. Likening Steve to a rapist because you don't like his takes (many of which are spot on) about your favourite company? :/

You are the one of the ultimate AMD internet defenders. I get that you own shares, but calm down...

Suspended
Justified criticism from Hardwareunboxed is *not* a hissy fit. Likening Steve to a rapist because you don't like his takes (many of which are spot on) about your favourite company? :/

You are the one of the ultimate AMD internet defenders. I get that you own shares, but calm down...

The Microsoft guy said he didn't want a gaming PC because the XBox was better value, to which Dr Lisa Sue responded "No you're just cheap" which was _____ hilarious.

Steve Walton explained that in his pretzeled mind opinion this was proof that in her mind people didn't want to buy their products because they were cheap people, and that he had demanded that Dr Lisa Sue was to atone for her crime personally to him, when she didn't respond he started relentlessly spamming her account on Twitter, some of it was bile.

No, i don't think he's a very nice man.

Last edited:
Soldato
Good Grief, this actually IS insane, AMD bad because ATI bad Drivers, 15 years ago, i buy Nvidia because people keep brining that up, like i just did. :confused:

gh6gtA5.png

Vids like this don't help aye

Soldato
It's hardly surprising that driver updates could potentially break a 14 year old game.......

And more importantly why is he making this video, shilling for Nvidia? No one releases videos like this about Nvidia running 15 year old games, this come across as just to hate on AMD

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I got for fallout 3 free with prime gaming, thought I would give it a go and crash to desktop. When AMD know there is an issue for months and have not yet fixed it, criticism is warranted. What 15 year old very popular games like FO3 don't run on nvidia? and if some did not, you can bet it would be fixed asap.

Last edited:

G J

G J

Associate
Prime Gaming was the way I played Elder Scrolls Oblivion for the first time and I had problems with my Nvidia card at the time running it at higher resolutions than 1080p as it would either eventually crash or crash on startup. I sold the Nvidia card and played it fine on the IGPU on the 12600K at 1080p with some settings turned down and its a great game.

I think the issues people are having are with Bugthesda.

Caporegime
Well I got for fallout 3 free with prime gaming, thought I would give it a go and crash to desktop. When AMD know there is an issue for months and have not yet fixed it, criticism is warranted. What 15 year old very popular games like FO3 don't run on nvidia? and if some did not, you can bet it would be fixed asap.

Uh huh

Meanwhile back in reality....

Associate
amd famously broke directx 9 compatibility at the time of vega launch from recent memory

i personally experienced this issue, being unable to play witcher 1

other than that amd was marketing the ability to reuse cuda code as-is with radeon drivers, and that too failed spectacularly. maybe things have improved now cant be bothered to find out.. caused some heartburn back then, amd's got a dubious trackrecord for overpromising and underdelivering, often leads to long term loss of goodwill

Soldato
amd famously broke directx 9 compatibility at the time of vega launch from recent memory

i personally experienced this issue, being unable to play witcher 1

other than that amd was marketing the ability to reuse cuda code as-is with radeon drivers, and that too failed spectacularly. maybe things have improved now cant be bothered to find out.. caused some heartburn back then, amd's got a dubious trackrecord for overpromising and underdelivering, often leads to long term loss of goodwill
Kepler stutter bug, NV took the unprecedented step to delete threads, posts, anything negative, resulting in shutting down it's forum for months, due to the backlash.

They re-opened the forum months later shortly after the fix went live, claiming it was hacked.

There was a big thread in here about it back in the day.

Associate
lm studio works quiet well on my 7900xtx, had fun messing with various models. annoyed that screen mirroring seems to be broken to some extent cos i use it a lot.

Soldato
The fallout 3 crash is so easy to fix by yourself. All that drama for nothing. Is it annoying yes. Is it the end of the world no! Use a DX to Vulkan wrapper and your golden. You owe me a bear beer.;)

Seriously though. I see the posts about all this drama. Spent 2 minutes downloading the game and 1 minute fixing the issue. How hard can it be.

EDIT: I don't need a bear, but a beer will do just fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
The fallout 3 crash is so easy to fix by yourself. All that drama for nothing. Is it annoying yes. Is it the end of the world no! Use a DX to Vulkan wrapper and your golden. You owe me a bear ;)

Seriously though. I see the posts about all this drama. Spent 2 minutes downloading the game and 1 minute fixing the issue. How hard can it be.
For you or me that's easy but for the average gamer who knows little or can't be bothered to google it's an issue. To be where we are means to have an interest in hardware and PC's overall. If you just want to game like the majority then you most likely won't look to hard to fix an issue or might just give up the game.

Last edited:
Soldato
For you or me that's easy for the average gamer who knows little or can't be bothered to google it's an issue. To be where we are means to have an interest in hardware and PC's overall. If you just want to game like the majority then you most likely won't look to hard to fix an issue or might just give up the game.
Well considering who is complaining, a lot of which are so called tech enthusiast, I don't think this is really about the average gamer. It's drama for drama's sake. Otherwise people would supply the temporary fix like I just did, submitted a bug report and moved on. There is no real reason for the uproar when there is a way around it. And before someone comes along putting words in my mouth then sure, AMD should absolutely take a look at this and fix it if the issue is on their end aka the driver itself. But if the average Joe can figure out how to use Reshade and open a browser then there really isn't an excuse when the temporary solution is this easy.

Soldato
Well considering who is complaining, a lot of which are so called tech enthusiast, I don't think this is really about the average gamer. It's drama for drama's sake. Otherwise people would supply the temporary fix like I just did, submitted a bug report and moved on. There is no real reason for the uproar when there is a way around it. And before someone comes along putting words in my mouth then sure, AMD should absolutely take a look at this and fix it if the issue is on their end aka the driver itself. But if the average Joe can figure out how to use Reshade and open a browser then there really isn't an excuse when the temporary solution is this easy.
You won't get an arguement from me there. If you are on these forums and know a decent amount and use google most fixes are easy. In my circle of gamers i am like a nanny always giving out what i know and fixing issues that i can help with. Gets a bit frustrating as all they want to do is complain instead of trying to fix the issue. I knew from the first month of PC gaming that it was not going to be as straight forward as Console was so started to learn and do research on everything. I was overclocking to a noob degree soon after but never went to deep.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom