• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD - How To Overclock The Official Way Using Afterburner + Step By Step Overclocking Guide + Comple

Caporegime
OP
Yeah, I am just using the CCC Overdrive now. It seems to be cruising along happily at 1100 core, 1300 Memory. This will do just fine for now :)

Yep it seems as if most 7xxx cards max out ccc overclocks without touching vcore, its very impressive compared to previous gen amd cards.

Soldato
Added the 2 extra dll files into the afterburner folder and added the /xcl can confirm my ccc limits have now been increased. Removed the /xcl shortcut and rebooted, ticked unlocked voltage control etc under settings but still cant ajust it. I have even tried changing the unlockvoltage part of the cfg file to 1 but still no luck! This is with the 12.3 drivers, i dont believe voltage unlock would differ across different drivers though would it?

Caporegime
OP
Added the 2 extra dll files into the afterburner folder and added the /xcl can confirm my ccc limits have now been increased. Removed the /xcl shortcut and rebooted, ticked unlocked voltage control etc under settings but still cant ajust it. I have even tried changing the unlockvoltage part of the cfg file to 1 but still no luck! This is with the 12.3 drivers, i dont believe voltage unlock would differ across different drivers though would it?

Probably not but if its the only thing you haven't tried then it might be worth a shot. These 12.8 drivers are insane in membrane.

I just noticed you have the MSI 7850. I don't think afterburner supports voltage control on your card yet, which is most odd considering its an msi card.

You could use trixxx i believe to change the voltage in the meantime.

Soldato
Cheers matt, is kinda weird that afterburner wouldn't support voltage for its own card. What would you say would be the better option out of Asus GPU Tweak and Trixx? Will it be ok to keep AB installed or will it conflict do you think?

Thanks again pal

Caporegime
OP
Cheers matt, is kinda weird that afterburner wouldn't support voltage for its own card. What would you say would be the better option out of Asus GPU Tweak and Trixx? Will it be ok to keep AB installed or will it conflict do you think?

Thanks again pal

I've never used GPU tweak but trixxx seems ok. Its no afterburner but it does the basics well and thats all that matters.

Not sure about about using them both at the same time, you might find as you click apply on one it changes the settings on the other.

If you use trixx though you will be on the un official overclock method. However if its that or no overclocking at all then id just go with it.

Soldato
Thanks again matt, so frustrating i've always used AB with no issues. Well i might try my luck first on AB as i now have more core to play with, running 1050/1200 at stock so i guess i'll have to say how far i can push the stock voltage. My asic is showing as 85.1% so hopefully i might have a good clocker

Caporegime
OP
Thanks again matt, so frustrating i've always used AB with no issues. Well i might try my luck first on AB as i now have more core to play with, running 1050/1200 at stock so i guess i'll have to say how far i can push the stock voltage. My asic is showing as 85.1% so hopefully i might have a good clocker

Thats a higher than average asic you have there, might well be a good clocker.

I'm a member of the msi forum, ill start a thread and ask if they know why afterburner isnt working with their own card and report back here.

Soldato
Cheers for that Matt much appreciated. Really wanna perhaps try BF3 on ultra using mainly high at the mo bar shadows on medium and it seems to run well. Downloading the new 2.5gb patch now, you going on later?

Caporegime
OP
Cheers for that Matt much appreciated. Really wanna perhaps try BF3 on ultra using mainly high at the mo bar shadows on medium and it seems to run well. Downloading the new 2.5gb patch now, you going on later?

Once you've played Bf3 on full ultra with 4xaa there's no going back. :cool:

Yep downloaded the patch 30+ minutes ago, battlelog is still down for the update though. Ready to get the server going as soon as it goes live again.

Associate
Yeah its true, the graphics are so beautiful i find it hard to play older favorite games like l4d2 simply as the graphics look so poor in comparison.

installed CS source for a bit of a blast from the past.
laughed a lot at how crappy the graphics are and remembering how much my old pc used to struggle with it.

battlefield fun online too? only played the campaign so far (finished last night). not too overrun with cheats or anything?

Soldato
Yeah, I am just using the CCC Overdrive now. It seems to be cruising along happily at 1100 core, 1300 Memory. This will do just fine for now :)

well maybe mine is still too high then, 1200/ 1600...........but it seems ok even on R6 VEGAS 2.

Soldato
Yeah its true, the graphics are so beautiful i find it hard to play older favorite games like l4d2 simply as the graphics look so poor in comparison.

YEA Deus Ex looks great even an a 55'' screen, but old games look bad now, especially DOOM 3/ Painkiller

you cant improve these with texture packs either, because they still look blurry/ AI looks bad....the only way to do it is to redo everything from scratch, dont try and patch it up, we've been talking about this on the Serious Sam forums.

jo wood tried this and it didn't work and now it looks like Nordic studios have fallen into the same trap, do not give us another Painkiller patched up expansion DLC game in the year 2012 whatever...... just redo it completely from scratch, on the Rage engine, with modern AI monsters, stop releasing botched up crap games like PK Redemption, that uses the same crap AI from 8 years ago !!!!

Serious Sam 3 BFE have got it right.... unfortunately PK is still getting it wrong.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've never used GPU tweak but trixxx seems ok. Its no afterburner but it does the basics well and thats all that matters.

Not sure about about using them both at the same time, you might find as you click apply on one it changes the settings on the other.

If you use trixx though you will be on the un official overclock method. However if its that or no overclocking at all then id just go with it.

yes all 3 effect each other, but Trixx clashes most with AMD Catalyst, you'll notice this if you minimise all 3 together side by side, because if you save one profile in Trixx, you'll see the numbers changing on the software beside it and especially if you fool around with Catalyst.....because as soon as you adjust Catalyst it'll wipe out all your other settings.

thus, i would not have all 3 on your computer at once, only Catalyst; which has to be turned on and right up to max, plus another software, i use Trixx now.

because you cant overclock via Trixx, unless Catalyst is set to max overdrive already, i only noticed this yesterday.... if not, you'll overclock via Trixx, press save and it'll return to default in front of your eyes, leaving you scratching your head like Homer Simpson :D

Kronkmaster that i was using to benchtest, only stress tests at 1.17 v, i only noticed that yesterday, but it might be ok for you.

so yesterday i said that's enough :confused: and deleted MSI/ KRONK

MSI is ok to use for sure..... but not with Trixx, i prefer Trixx anyway because it's simpler, plus the graphics are far easier to read on a large screen

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
battlefield fun online too? only played the campaign so far (finished last night). not too overrun with cheats or anything?

Great fun online. A load of us from ocuk play on my server. If you feel like joining us you can visit us here. http://cq247.co.uk/

Mal does trixx have an OSD like Afterburner would you know?

No it does not, but until afterburner supports your card its the best you can do.

Associate
YEA Deus Ex looks great even an a 55'' screen, but old games look bad now, especially DOOM 3/ Painkiller

you cant improve these with texture packs either, because they still look blurry/ AI looks bad....the only way to do it is to redo everything from scratch, dont try and patch it up, we've been talking about this on the Serious Sam forums.

jo wood tried this and it didn't work and now it looks like Nordic studios have fallen into the same trap, do not give us another Painkiller patched up expansion DLC game in the year 2012 whatever...... just redo it completely from scratch, on the Rage engine, with modern AI monsters, stop releasing botched up crap games like PK Redemption, that uses the same crap AI from 8 years ago !!!!

Serious Sam 3 BFE have got it right.... unfortunately PK is still getting it wrong.

need some more good looking games to play now.
anyone tried metro 2033?

Back
Top Bottom