• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD - How To Overclock The Official Way Using Afterburner + Step By Step Overclocking Guide + Comple

Caporegime
OP
But you can choose not to install CCC right?

What if it's not installed?`Is this whole thing necessary?

You can choose not to install it, not sure how that would affect this though.

The point is, with this method you don't even need to touch overdrive, but still get all the benefits of using it without the clock limits.

Caporegime
OP
It works with 12.08

Feeling pretty smug right now.

2087481422_3cb39808f8.jpg

Associate
Just followed the process and it is working fine for me. I was put off afterburner having flickering issues and clocks not down clocking to 300/150 outside of gaming but this appears to have resolved all the issues. 1x 7950 and 12.8 drivers running 1200/1600in 3d, fast as ****!

Caporegime
OP
Just followed the process and it is working fine for me. I was put off afterburner having flickering issues and clocks not down clocking to 300/150 outside of gaming but this appears to have resolved all the issues. 1x 7950 and 12.8 drivers running 1200/1600in 3d, fast as ****!

Yes people. Listen to these men, do not be put off by the poor and strange fellows who somehow couldn't get this to work. It works, and it works beautifully.

Associate
I had to reinstall windows today and i can now confirm how easy it is to do this.

1. Install the ATI 12.8 drivers. http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=367183
2. Install the latest version of afterburner.
3. Download and run and install this file. http://www.sendspace.com/file/r7jys0
4. Right click afterburner desktop shortcut.
5. Select properties and add /xcl to the target box.
6.Click apply and run the shortcut. It will say ccc limits increased.
7. Delete /xcl, apply, and restart your pc.
8. You can now use the official overclock method without those crappy ccc limits.
9. Go into afterburner settings and unlock voltage control/monitoring.

I have re-installed windows and tested this works A-ok for AMD 7xxx single card users.

Quick Question :)

Step 5. Select properties and add /xcl to the target box.

Should this be before or after the " and does it matter?
And its / not \ ?

Caporegime
OP
Quick Question :)

Step 5. Select properties and add /xcl to the target box.

Should this be before or after the " and does it matter?
And its / not \ ?

Right click the afterburner shortcut on your desktop, select properties and add/xcl to the end so it appears like this.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MSI Afterburner\MSIAfterburner.exe" /xcl

Associate
What do you mean memory clock jumps when applying? :confused:

Keep overdrive disabled. It might conflict with afterburner.

When i apply Memory Clock to something like 1225 the lower screen "jumps" or flickers..

Also off topic: Should i install CAP(3)?

Anyways it doesn't "jump" when using youtube and such like before :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
When i apply Memory Clock to something like 1225 the lower screen "jumps" or flickers..

Also off topic: Should i install CAP(3)?

Which card are you using?

I don't get any flicker using this method. Only when i use the unofficial method. Try uninstalling afterburner, and when it says do you want to keep your settings etc say no, delete everything. Once uninstalled reinstall from fresh.

Sounds like its still using the old method.

EDIT

Yes always use the latest caps, and uninstall any old caps.

Associate
Which card are you using?

I don't get any flicker using this method. Only when i use the unofficial method. Try uninstalling afterburner, and when it says do you want to keep your settings etc say no, delete everything. Once uninstalled reinstall from fresh.

Sounds like its still using the old method.

Just redid the whole thing, deleted Afterburner in programs without saving anything then i deleted the folder and it still flickers when changing the Memory clock, but it doesn't really matter i guess i don't got the flicker anywhere else so its fine :)

Caporegime
OP
Just redid the whole thing, deleted Afterburner in programs without saving anything then i deleted the folder and it still flickers when changing the Memory clock, but it doesn't really matter i guess i don't got the flicker anywhere else so its fine :)

Ah ok thats likely a flash issue. I get that sometimes. I think its either a flash or driver issue. Anyway, glad its working. ;)

Soldato
Hows it going Matt, just a quick one regarding this. Im still running the 12.3 drivers with Afterburner version 2.1 once i have installed the download you linked is do you have to do anything in CCC? Or do you just carry on as normal using AB? Also do you still have to ajust the unofficial overclocking in the AB cfg file or not?

Thanks again mate for this guide

Caporegime
OP
Hows it going Matt, just a quick one regarding this. Im still running the 12.3 drivers with Afterburner version 2.1 once i have installed the download you linked is do you have to do anything in CCC? Or do you just carry on as normal using AB? Also do you still have to ajust the unofficial overclocking in the AB cfg file or not?

Hey Liam. ;)

Which card do you have? I'd probably upgrade if i was you, 12.8 drivers (with the latest caps) are excellent performers.

Once you've followed the guide, leave ccc alone. Sure you can tweak graphical settings but there is no need to touch overdrive as it may conflict with afterburner.

You can tweak core and memory clocks, voltages and power levels with afterburner.

Afterburner latest official version (not beta) is 2.3.3 and is smooth and stable. Probably about time you updated from the old 2.1 version as well.

:)

Soldato

Hey Liam. ;)

Which card do you have? I'd probably upgrade if i was you, 12.8 drivers (with the latest caps) are excellent performers.

Once you've followed the guide, leave ccc alone. Sure you can tweak graphical settings but there is no need to touch overdrive as it may conflict with afterburner.

You can tweak core and memory clocks, voltages and power levels with afterburner.

Afterburner latest official version (not beta) is 2.3.3 and is smooth and stable. Probably about time you updated from the old 2.1 version as well.

:)

Hi Matt thanks for that, think i am behind on the driver side of things :) I have never used CAPS before either so not 100% sure how they work. The thing is the games i play GTA Sleeping Dogs and BF3 all seem to run well and i was worried that updating drivers might cause some issues. Im sure if i update everything will be fine i just hate changing things that work if you see what i mean :)

As for my card its the MSI 7850, without doubt this best card i have ever had really impressed with it. I just know i can get a little more than 1050/1200 out of it :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom