• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD IQ Vs Nvidia IQ - shenanigans or something else?

Soldato
It'd take someone to take 2 shots at exactly the same time on fresh installs at default settings (In the driver) at same IQ settings on the game at the exact same angle for me to be able to comment.

Because that's the only way you'd actually see if there was a genuine intended difference in rendering.

^^^^ This

Associate
Iv'e been stuck working on a Bmw E60 525D with a Gearbox issue for the past few days, finally get a break and come on here to find Greg had started the apocalypse.

Greg can you get a move on and finish destroying the planet so i don't have to carry on with it on Monday please

On a serious note, imagine if BMW made graphics cards... Jesus Christ ,all these first world issues would pale in comparison !

Caporegime
OP
Iv'e been stuck working on a Bmw E60 525D with a Gearbox issue for the past few days, finally get a break and come on here to find Greg had started the apocalypse.

Greg can you get a move on and finish destroying the planet so i don't have to carry on with it on Monday please

On a serious note, imagine if BMW made graphics cards... Jesus Christ ,all these first world issues would pale in comparison !

Why BMW? Audi are far superior :cool:

Anyways, I think that is for another time/forum :p

Associate

I think you misunderstood , Bmw make awful cars and if they made gpu's they would be diabolical. And i agree Audi would make much better gpus, well as long as you avoid the Q7 range of gpus.....

I love my Audi A4, its now covered nearly 280000 miles and still going strong.

But you're right , i would hate to derail this thread or in fact any thread in the Graphics section..............:D

Associate

Not true , i drove many cars, mustang, lincoln town car (lot of v8 beast) etc and audi s5 . I would say nowhere to camaro or mustang if i have to compare . It is a nice car don't get me wrong but just doesn't feel right.
I drive a VW passat and it is and old man kinda car.

Last edited:
Soldato
Took some screenshots at the same spot (and a different one). Game set to Ultra preset @ 1440p, using a 980Ti with NVC settings completely default (just like I have always used them).

VvARviQ.jpg

iFejBab.jpg

I never change anything in the NVC control panel and never had any reason to, the only exception is if I want an extra feature such as DSR or if a game doesn't apply AA/AF/vsync/etc properly, in which case I set that up through on an app by app basis, not globally. Never had any issues except with certain games that are well known not to apply AA/AF/vsync/etc properly, on both Nvidia and AMD.

Associate
Just forgot, Audi S5 is kinda high-tech feeling car but fails to deliver the power as you expect form others. (just couldn't even enjoy to seat in the car, that was my first "impression" )

Soldato
The whole AMD has more vibrant colours, higher detail stuff is utter nonsense. Never noticed a single difference going from my 5870 to a 580 back in the day, apart from the increased fps, despite people saying nvidia had worse colours, blah, blah, blah. People are still saying the same thing it seems. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
The whole AMD has more vibrant colours, higher detail stuff is utter nonsense. Never noticed a single difference going from my 5870 to a 580 back in the day, apart from the increased fps, despite people saying nvidia had worse colours, blah, blah, blah. People are still saying the same thing it seems. :rolleyes:

Utter nonsense in YOUR opinion. Plenty of people have noticed the colour difference between default nvidia and amd settings. With games like TF2 its very obvious as the colour is pretty muted on nvidia cards compared to amd. I noticed it immediately going from a 2900xt to an 8800gtx and then again going from a gtx295 to crossfired 6970's.

Last edited:
Associate
I think you misunderstood , Bmw make awful cars and if they made gpu's they would be diabolical. And i agree Audi would make much better gpus, well as long as you avoid the Q7 range of gpus.....

I love my Audi A4, its now covered nearly 280000 miles and still going strong.

But you're right , i would hate to derail this thread or in fact any thread in the Graphics section..............:D

You mean the Q7 with the general key problem :D My friend just ran into it :D

Caporegime
If you want images to compare with other images, then yes. If you just want to play and get the highest frames, then no!

If you are spending £500+ on a GPU, you are surely wanting the best image quality available, after all, we all try to aim for max settings in games with acceptable FPS, if you/people don't care about image quality then why bother spending that much in the first place if you are happy to settle for what is essentially low graphics? :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
Utter nonsense in YOUR opinion. Plenty of people have noticed the colour difference between default nvidia and amd settings. With games like TF2 its very obvious as the colour is pretty muted on nvidia cards compared to amd. I noticed it immediately going from a 2900xt to an 8800gtx and then again going from a gtx295 to crossfired 6970's.

Most likely placebo or people are enabling some sort of vibrancy setting, which subjectively may look better to them. Every time I see one of these threads claiming AMD have better colours, you see people saying that the nvidia vibrancy setting in the control panel (or whatever it is) has the same effect. Sorry, but if looking better means colour accuracy goes to **** than I prefer "dull" and "muted". I want the graphics card output and monitor output to be as neutral as possible, as its the job of the game designer to make their games look vibrant (if they want to).

You see the same crap in the audio world. I bet the same people who want added vibrancy to their graphics, also like to crank up the bass and treble on their sound outputs, destroying everything in between in the process.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Takes you about 2 minutes to change that. ATI tend to push contrast and saturation which some people like, similar to selling TVs in a store, the first thing anyone who cares about IQ will do is turn down the saturation and contrast on their new TV. All a personal choice and easily resolved to your own liking. Nvidia tend to have 'muted colours' more in line with professional requirements.

Caporegime
Most likely placebo or people are enabling some sort of vibrancy setting, which subjectively may look better to them. Every time I see one of these threads claiming AMD have better colours, you see people saying that the nvidia vibrancy setting in the control panel (or whatever it is) has the same effect. Sorry, but if looking better means colour accuracy goes to **** than I prefer "dull" and "muted". I want the graphics card output and monitor output to be as neutral as possible, as its the job of the game designer to make their games look vibrant (if they want to).

You see the same crap in the audio world. I bet the same people who want added vibrancy to their graphics, also like to crank up the bass and treble on their sound outputs, destroying everything in between in the process.

Good post, it is really funny when people,who have no idea about image quality always go for the images "that pop" where contrast has just been thrown way over the top and destroying any colour accuracy or tonality.

Soldato
Spent plenty of time on both vendors.

Only times I noticed nvidia being worse for colours was when they were not outputting full rub over hdmi and displayport. There was a hack around for a long time to fix that, but nvidia finally pulled their finger out not too long ago, and we no longer need that hack.

But I agree with those above, that just because an image has more 'pop', doesn't make it better, just like those settings on TVs that throw more saturation and contrast.

As for the issue being discussed in here, don't have any amd cards laying around any more to check against, but nothing has jumped out at me. But then, I'm not all that observant.

Associate
Spent plenty of time on both vendors.

Only times I noticed nvidia being worse for colours was when they were not outputting full rub over hdmi and displayport. There was a hack around for a long time to fix that, but nvidia finally pulled their finger out not too long ago, and we no longer need that hack.

But I agree with those above, that just because an image has more 'pop', doesn't make it better, just like those settings on TVs that throw more saturation and contrast.

As for the issue being discussed in here, don't have any amd cards laying around any more to check against, but nothing has jumped out at me. But then, I'm not all that observant.

This!

Back
Top Bottom