AMD launches B550 motherboards

Associate
Did they show off the ITX by any chance?
Yes, quite a bit of it:

8 Layer PCB
8 straight power thingies for the CPU + 2 for APU + 1 for memeory (i think)
HDMI 2.1 support (like the aurus)
2.5Gb lan / wifi 6
semi-passive fan on the nvme 4.0 slot
219 euros price

Looks great, but I hope the gigabyte board has a less ugly price!

i'm not averse to paying extra for quality components in a HTPC - i did buy the Z87i-Pro** back in 2014 - but there is a big difference between £133 and ~£220!

** https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Z87IPRO/

Last edited:
Soldato
£150-220 for the new AM4 budget motherboard range with pcie gen4 for all. I guess this is what AMD meant when they said they didn't want to be a budget brand anymore.

In future news.. X670 starting from only £399.99!

Soldato
Does anyone have any details about the MPG B550 GAMING EDGE (ATX)? Can't seem to find any specs on the official, or even unofficial, sites.

EDIT: Don't worry. They talk about it at the 2hr01min mark here.

Last edited:
Soldato
£150-220 for the new AM4 budget motherboard range with pcie gen4 for all. I guess this is what AMD meant when they said they didn't want to be a budget brand anymore.

In future news.. X670 starting from only £399.99!

A520 will be a thing and it's not like B450 is vanishing overnight. The general rise in prices for everything is annoying but with the handling of the current world wide situation... Stock up on Vaseline

Soldato
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/grl5in/msi_b550_launch_pricing_announced_starting_at_119/

Interesting tidbit about white motherboard i.e. Titanium: MSI says they can't get signal quality with a white PCB to be as good as a black PCB yet, at least not for PCIe gen 4 and super high RAM speed, so all B550 and X570 use a black PCB.

Edit: B450 non-MAX not supporting Zen 3 is not true, but the BIOS will be toned down.

Edit 2: Price list (MSRP in USD w/o tax)

B550 Gaming Carbon Wifi: $219

B550i Gaming Edge WiFi: $199

B550 Gaming Edge WiFi: $189

B550 Tomahawk: $179

B550M Mortar WiFi: $169

B550M Mortar: $159

B550 Gaming Plus: $149

B550-A Pro: $139

B550M Bazooka: $139

B550M Pro-VDH WiFi: $129

B550M Pro-Dash: $119

A520 will be a thing and it's not like B450 is vanishing overnight. The general rise in prices for everything is annoying but with the handling of the current world wide situation... Stock up on Vaseline

Then a lot of these companies are screwed longterm then,as people will upgrade less often,if prices rise above inflation and these price increases are above inflation. They are probably trying to target margins well beyond what they would get 10~20 years ago.

The problem is many tech companies have gotten used to people throwing money at them due to cheap credit,etc,which is artificially fueling their growth. However, if people have less money in their pocket, eventually it means they will keep things longer. This is what happening with the smartphone market,ie,they started jacking up prices,segmenting every innovation and people kept the phones longer. The biggest growth markets were entry level and mainstream where newer companies successfully used lower margins.

It's meant Apple and Samsung have started to put more effort into their cheaper models now.

Last edited:
Soldato
Perhaps AMD were selling their B350 and B450 chipsets for such a small profit margin to gain market share. Now they're in a position where they're able to sell B550 for a more normal price that's closer to Intel's.

It would better explain why they didn't want to support B450 any longer.

Associate
We'll have to see how the good the bios is. For the last two generations, on both AMD and Intel, the TaiChi has been the best performing board during our early testing.
I was under the impression the TaiChi achieved this performance by being overly aggressive with volts & boost in default settings - basically running what amounts to a non stock or "OC" default. Am I wrong about that?

Back
Top Bottom