• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Launches Three Kaveri APU SKUs in February 2014 – Feature Set For A10 and A8 APUs Detailed

Caporegime
The thing is though, for the next APU, even if they just launched it with the same IGP, but with a bandwidth solution, it's going to be a jump.
If they sort bandwidth, get a 20NM GPU in there, we're talking some mighty impressive equipment.

What's really annoying me in the PC industry is that we're always saying "The next one will be XXXX good", but we're only ever getting XXX good, while then saying the next one will be XXXX good :p

Frustrating the hell out of me.

Soldato
OP
The thing is though, for the next APU, even if they just launched it with the same IGP, but with a bandwidth solution, it's going to be a jump.
If they sort bandwidth, get a 20NM GPU in there, we're talking some mighty impressive equipment.

Yeah, a die shrink and DDR4 support maybe even quad channel DDR4 would be a nice boost, even if your talking about the same amount of GCN cores as the 7850K..

For me a 3 module / 6 core with 768/1024 GCN shader units would be perfect for a small system / HTPC, or budget gaming PC.

Associate
The optimist in me was hoping for 7750 performance from the 7850k, but as that isn't the case, I opted to get a 7750 discrete instead.

Just realised that my USB monitor relies quite a bit on the cpu too (as it does the compression of the displaylink data to send over usb), so I need to upgrade the cpu.

The question is, do I go for a £90 6800k just for cpu duties, or wait for the A8-7600?

I can't be arsed swapping out the mobo, so I am stuck with FM2/FM2+

Incase you do go for Kaveri and haven't done so already, put the latest bios in (it will save a lot of trouble later, the factory bios doesn't recognise FM2+ APUs)

Caporegime
Associate
Just a thought, i'm using 2400mhz RAM with c10 latency, if you put in 2933mhz RAM and downclocked it to 2400mhz, could you decrease the latency to c9?

Associate
Well AMD are saying upto 45% (Which is probably down to a CPU bottleneck already existing)

Whereas those results are more into 300% category.
The 45% figure is for BF4, which is a game designed for DX with a Mantle rendered quickly patched on. Stuff like Starswarm, which is using a 3D engine able to exploit Mantle's advantages, is going to see a much bigger performance increase.

Associate
Been playing around with the Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI.
1 glaring issue atm.

The IGP is currently hardlocked at 720mhz in the bios on my 7850k.
You can set any value and it accepts it and software reads it as what you set it as, but there is no speed increase in any benchmark or game.
Tested with 2 A10-7850k's, it's definitely a bios issue.

I hope Gigabyte get a bios fix out for this asap, it's a cracking little board otherwise.
Going to test with Easytune6 and see if that makes any difference, will keep you posted.

/Edit

Graphics tab greyed out in Easytune6, confirming the IGP is hardlocked with the current Kaveri bios's available.

Associate
Been playing around with the Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI.
1 glaring issue atm.

The IGP is currently hardlocked at 720mhz in the bios on my 7850k.
You can set any value and it accepts it and software reads it as what you set it as, but there is no speed increase in any benchmark or game.
Tested with 2 A10-7850k's, it's definitely a bios issue.

I hope Gigabyte get a bios fix out for this asap, it's a cracking little board otherwise.
Going to test with Easytune6 and see if that makes any difference, will keep you posted.

/Edit

Graphics tab greyed out in Easytune6, confirming the IGP is hardlocked with the current Kaveri bios's available.

Yeah, I added 10% + 20% to the iGPU's clock and seen no difference, but the 6800k was the same, increasing that iGPU gained virtually nothing, main increases was RAM speed & CPU overclocking. I do hope it's a bios issue and a fix comes along shortly.

PS: at 20% I found some benchmarks actually performed slightly worse than standard.

Last edited:
Associate
Couldn't it be your bandwidth bottleneck?

It's a hardlock buddy, there should be good gains clocking the iGPU with a fast 2400 cas 10 kit.
I've experienced it before with Trinity boards on early bios's

Using 3d mark 11, there's no movement at all in score on any speed you care to set over 720 on this little board (Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI)

These guy's using other boards are seeing the gains no problem.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1459052/amd-a10-7850-preview-by-flank3r/20

Associate
TDP limit maybe?

I ruled that out too when I downclocked the CPU and started again.
Still no movement when you clock the iGPU, it's definitely a hardlock.

You can clock the iGPU on Trinity and Richland no problem in this board and go well out of their TDP's.
I'm hoping Gigabyte release a new bios with the lock removed soon.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
AMD A10-7700K "Kaveri" De-lidded

Here are the first pictures of an AMD A10-7700K "Kaveri" APU with its integrated heat-spreader (IHS, or 'lid') removed. Put next to its predecessors, "Richland," "Trinity," and "Llano," AMD's new APU silicon is its biggest for the DIY PC market, more so because it's built on the 28 nm silicon fab process, compared to its predecessors being built on 32 nm. The die measures roughly 245 mm², and packs a staggering 2.41 billion transistors.

http://www.techpowerup.com/197051/amd-a10-7700k-kaveri-de-lidded.html

Back
Top Bottom