• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Don't forget that with Nvidia you won't be able to use Smart Shift which Xbox, PS5 & upcoming AMD desktop products support and is the base for using the CPU to do part of the RT job also and boost graphic performance. We see it already on laptops where the tiny APU can get 10% perf for free on games.
Still think even considering that if true nvidia will be ahead if I am being honest. Hope I am wrong and that AMD bring a huge leap in performance.

Soldato
In that video it says AMD has been involved with MS for years developing DXR.

Yep. Making a console needs many years to design hardware & software (API). AMD RT wasn't a post 2018 afterthought, considering had already put down the specs earlier that same year for DXR1.0

Will explain why nvidia was so fast to jump at RTX and get ahead of the game.

Even if it wasn't the most practical way of doing it.

You expected anything less from Nvidia than brute force solution :D

--
Btw feels bit off Nvidia retracting from GDC 10 days ago and uploaded nothing about future development.
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/events/gdc/

All other companies retracted also "physical" appearance yet that didn't stopped them from posting everything they had online already.
https://gdconf.com/gdc-2020-virtual-talks?MCAID=77FB1CFE532B22840A490D45@AdobeOrg

While the RTX development platform hasn't changed it's specs
https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx

Soldato
It’s awesome what some of you read into things, comedy gold.

There is some interesting stuff on how much more efficient DXR1.1 is though - the AMD chap was saying certain things could be done in one pass instead of 5 passes with DXR1.0,so will be interesting to see how much Nvidia gains from this too.

Will explain why nvidia was so fast to jump at RTX and get ahead of the game.

Even if it wasn't the most practical way of doing it.

It reminds me a bit of GSync,but we will need to see also how much Nvidia benefits from DXR1.1 too.

Yep. Making a console needs many years to design hardware & software (API). AMD RT wasn't a post 2018 afterthought, considering had already put down the specs earlier that same year for DXR1.0

I found it funny people were thinking AMD was not doing work with MS on RT too,especially with the consoles confirmed to use.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
sigh, BOTH amd AND!!! nvidia have worked with MS on DXR and have been for a few years. how each gpu handles it in hardware like everything else is the question. the software is the same for both when it comes to DXR.

Soldato
sigh, BOTH amd AND!!! nvidia have worked with MS on DXR and have been for a few years. how each gpu handles it in hardware like everything else is the question. the software is the same for both when it comes to DXR.

A lot here were saying DXR was only Nvidia and MS working together exclusively(not AMD) - it is apparent AMD were also working with MS and Sony too during the same period,which was obvious as the consoles probably have been in development for years. There were prototypes and dev kits last year,which means the base specifications would have been frozen long before,ie,AMD would need to have the uarch already and prototype silicon out for probably a longtime before,to make sure it was doable.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
A lot here were saying DXR was only Nvidia and MS working together exclusively(not AMD) - it is apparent AMD were also working with MS and Sony too during the same period,which was obvious as the consoles probably have been in development for years.

yeah, the fanboys are going to be very annoying the next few months i fear, cabin fever will kick in and its going to get very silly.

Soldato
yeah, the fanboys are going to be very annoying the next few months i fear, cabin fever will kick in and its going to get very silly.

Well I just hope the decent specifications of the consoles means we get another HD4870/HD5870 or 8800GT/GTX970 moment come again,as it means mainstream PC graphics cards need a good jump in performance IMHO.

GAC

GAC

Soldato
Well I just hope the decent specifications of the consoles means we get another HD4870/HD5870 or 8800GT/GTX970 moment come again,as it means mainstream PC graphics cards need a good jump in performance IMHO.

jump in performance or just 2080ti performance cards selling at £450, if the new generation of cards with 2080ti performance come out at £600+ its going to be very stagnant for a lot of us, and will just force people on to consoles.

Soldato
jump in performance or just 2080ti performance cards selling at £450, if the new generation of cards with 2080ti performance come out at £600+ its going to be very stagnant for a lot of us, and will just force people on to consoles.

If it's another stagnant generation I am just going to play my older games,and play Cyberpunk 2077 on lower settings. The mainstream needs more performance,and if things don't improve enough in the next 2 to 3 years,I might just get my first console to play AAA games,and keep my PC upgraded on and off for older titles.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Yes this is what the forums have been chattering on for the past year. We can only hope the prices are miles more reasonable (doubtful) or the newer gear surpasses the 2080ti in both performance AND power consumption (expecting ~40%).

GAC

GAC

Soldato
If it's another stagnant generation I am just going to play my older games,and play Cyberpunk 2077 on lower settings. The mainstream needs more performance,and if things don't improve enough in the next 2 to 3 years,I might just get my first console to play AAA games,and keep my PC upgraded on and off for older titles.

yeah il probably end up sticking with my 1070 for a year or two longer if prices are just too much.

Yes this is what the forums have been chattering on for the past year. We can only hope the prices are miles more reasonable (doubtful) or the newer gear surpasses the 2080ti in both performance AND power consumption (expecting ~40%).

yup, £450 is the sweet spot for a 2080ti performance card, the problem is with the likelihood of very low stock on all fronts i have a feeling we wont see realistic rrp prices for months after release, back to crypto mining prices or worse even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom