• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Polaris architecture – GCN 4.0

Soldato
Back to school in the US is August to early September, June is still at school in the previous school year!I know, because I happen to live there.

Yes and if you bothered to read my posts I already said that - Google will tends to have such information.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Back_to_school_(marketing)

Back to shool period is between mid July and mid September and is a marketing term for that period.

Another markett website specifically says July and August:
http://www.emarketer.com/m/Article/Schools-SummerBring-on-Back-to-School-Shopping/1012653

I know people are desperate for Polaris to be delayed biut seriously it is getting a bit tiresome.

AMD said in time for the period so I expect late June or probably July even if it is a limited launch.

The CEO said both laptops and desktops.
Any later it would miss significant parts of the period.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm not desperate at all, the sooner Polaris is shipped the better. I'm just stating the facts about what back to school is, as I said, I live in the Us and I know when places like Best Buy have Back to school specials and have a load of dirt cheap laptops and desktops being shoved in parent's faces. American's don't do back to school shopping in July, period. However, Polaris will have to start shipping to the OEMs in June to have a hope of shopping out in July and appearing on shelves in August.

The headline form your link:
buying still occurs close to first day of school
That is around September 9th. From the data 80% of purchases are done within3-4 weeks of start of school, so August 12th-19th or so is when sales pick up. Exactly as I said.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Well I agree its irrelevant but some people were trying to claim June release etc. I really don't car, sooner the better but I'm not interested in any low-end laptop GPU. I'm just pointing out the timeline that AMD specified in case people get upset that AMD is "late", when I wouldn't consider Polaris late if it didn't appear until September.

Suspended
I'm happy to hold on to my 970 for the rest of the year, its still eating everything i throw at it and i doubt that going to change any time soon.

I'm going to wait a while until i see a deal from either side that i can't resist, i'm not rushing into anything.

Last edited:
Caporegime
BTW you guy know that even if Gibbo knows the release date (which he might not know yet) he could't hint it because of NDA.

Very unlikely he'll know the actual release date, he's just aware that if he hasn't heard anything then it's safe to assume there's still a few months yet.

I'm not sure how it works really with retailers being informed of upcoming releases, you would think they are informed before the rest of us lot, but who knows!

Associate
We don't know. Wait and see is the best course of action rather than daft speculation based on previous speculation and vague 'hints'...

+1 to that.

But all this is exactly what the manufacturers want us to do.....get wound up about their products....I gotta say it's working LOL :p

Roll On August, September...then this Graphics Card forum will REALLY get going. :D

Associate
We should hopefully know if there's any substance to the summer release rumours within a couple of weeks. If nothing is mentioned at GTC, I think it'd be pretty safe to assume a summer release window isn't what Nvidia are targeting.

Soldato
AMD were always going to be the back to school period, which is the end of summer! (September).

Exactly, this was the reliable info straight from AMD that was easy enough to find rather than speculation. Nvidia on the other hand have issued no even semi official info. Only a few people assumed (hoped) April-June.

Soldato
WCCF are so fond of the phrase "as we exclusively revealed to you previously". Yes you previously "revealed" a bunch of made-up waffle and contradicted yourselves umpteen times. I hope someone has saved all their BS and we can have a good laugh during the launches.

Man of Honour
because the FAB's they are using are 6 months behind the FAB's AMD are going to be using.

Care to clarify? as AFAIK Samsung only ramped upto volume production for high performance ASICs a few weeks back while TSMC was at the very end of last year - so basically nothing in it as far as that goes depending on when they start actually making stuff for the respective companies, while there might be some design considerations with Samsung having a head start with LPE its unlikely that aspect alone is going to dictate the schedule for GPUs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom