• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Polaris architecture – GCN 4.0

Soldato
AMD_Polaris_8.jpg

More Slides:

AMD_Polaris_4.jpg

AMD_Polaris_5.jpg

AMD_Polaris_7.jpg

AMD_Polaris_9.jpg

AMD_Polaris_10.jpg

AMD_Polaris_11.jpg

AMD_Polaris_3.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How people say power consumption (Performance per Watt) is irrelevant is beyond me? :p

Better performance per watt is needed to build faster GPU's within the same TDP !!

Come on people, take the stupid hats off.

We will see low power decent performance laptop / entry level PC GPU's, and high end GPU's (250W TDP) performance monsters, way beyond current cards. Improvements in performance per watt allow this...

Can't wait for the new tech, been waiting far to long for a real advance. Like the idea of a very low power but good performing gaming system in small form factor for the lounge, and absolute beast GPU for my desktop PC (Pascal Titan / Full Fat Polaris '250W' High end). Roll on the new stuff.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The problem with this thread is there is no real information whatsoever about Polaris and it's likely performance.

Give it some time mate, Mr impatient :p The Pascal thread is the same way, tons of speculation etc. It's part of the fun. When we know all the facts and the mystery is gone, and also the price tag is revealed the fun bit will be over :p

Soldato
OP
^^

Yeah I must admit, I can see what DM is saying here it's getting a bit too salty lately. Kaap's even critiquing the way I posted this thread. Others don't get this level of scrutiny lol. Just posted the latest news, it all gets updated along the way.. Exactly the same in the Pascal thread. Oh well what can you do. Maybe lack of real progress in hardware is making people irritable :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Agree with Gregster, real world performance will be within ~ 5% ~ 10% of each other. With price and features also influencing which card to go for.

Probably gonna go AMD this time around, then Nvidia, then AMD again, then back to Nvidia and AMD :p:D

Soldato
OP
Some people really need to chill out a bit. We have nothing set or said by AMD or Nvidia, nothing but speculation and nothing but some good ol fashioned gossip. I love the chit chat and speculation but the insults and "usual suspects" comments are silly. It is supposed to be a fun thing, not a religion lol.

Exactly mate, speculation is part of the build up. Bit of friendly banter makes it fun. No need for peeps to get snarky with each other over it.

Roll on the new tech, sooner the better lol.

Soldato
OP
[UPDATE 3 : 2016 January 8, 12:53 AM ET]
We’ve reached out to AMD and they have confirmed that the Polaris GPU demoed was in fact built using Globalfoundries’ 14nm FinFET process. Some publications have reported that Polaris will be a mix of both TSMC 16nm and Globalfoundries 14nm GPUs, which is where some of the confusion could potentially have stemmed from. However, according to AMD Polaris “is only 14nm”.

Furthermore, they’ve asked us to refer back to the company’s press release — which you can find quoted in its entirety in the original article below — which clearly states that the Polaris Architecture is 14nm based. Here’s the the relative segment of the press release :

AMD’s Polaris architecture-based 14nm FinFET GPUs deliver a remarkable generational jump in power efficiency. Polaris-based GPUs are designed for fluid frame rates in graphics, gaming, VR and multimedia applications running on compelling small form-factor thin and light computer designs.

Read more: http://wccftech.com/amd-polaris/#ixzz3we4dfHYB

Soldato
OP
Cheers Boom and good to see some solid info (even if it is from wccftech). Hopefully we can get to see some die sizes and specs soon so the mathematicians can do the sums for performance. It would be great to see a release soon. My machine needs an overhaul :D

Yeah I can't wait for new GPU's. Have to wonder if AMD have achieved this level of performance to watt. Than what have Nvidia been able to do, considering they are already ahead. They might of been able to make even more progress. Would love a card performance level of 980 Ti in performance a lower power envelope that runs cool. Would go well with this Skylake i5. Low power / cool running gaming system.

I will probably pick one of these early AMD chips up to mess with until the big boys arrive. It will be ideal for my boys MITX. (When I'm done playing) lol :p

Soldato
OP
lol fair.

I am only interested in a sizeable performance gain over my TX in truth and not wasting money anymore. I have been gaming so much and the Swift and DK2 have made that, so as long as I have enough grunt to have the pretties on with the CV1 and Swift, I will be set. Not interested in benching now either, just gaming.

Same here not benching atm. Although Broadwell -E and Pascal Titan could be tempting later on lol.

Would be happy with Skylake i5 and 980 Ti level performance in lower power envelope, cos like you I'm just gaming these days. The games I play aren't even that taxing lol only @ 1080P atm. Am looking forward to Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC soon. Hitman looks good as well, there are more games than I could ever finish tbh.

If I do move to 4K this year that would be end up with me getting another Titan or AMD equivalent..

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
TBH we don't know the performance of 'Baffin', they were just giving us a power consumption demo for a game scenario running at the same quality settings on a 950 and the EARLY 'Baffin' engineering sample running on early drivers.

they didn't state once if either card was running flat out. just giving a power consumption comparison for equal ingame performance.

It's fairly safe to assume the performance level of the card they demoed is similar to the competitor card it was demoed with (GTX 950).

AMD were literally showing that level of performance in a much lower power envelope.

We could see other midrange cards launch early with GDRR5, not just this particular card. There might be a few different lower - mid end offerings. Just not the HBM 2.0 beasts until later on this year.

One of these low power gaming cards would be spot on for my boys MITX, anything that runs cool / quiet and uses little power is ideal. Looking forward to seeing Nvidia's answer to this segment as well. The replacements for the 750 Ti / 950.

Soldato
OP
I don't mind that so much as everyone has there own reasons for there purchase. Mine is all about getting the most power for my money. As the day's, months and year has went on my purchase is looking better and better. After selling the games my pcs+ 290 cost me £170. There is nothing on the market even now that can compete with this price/performance. So thanks Powercolor and AMD in this regard.

Yeah such slow progress and pricing remains high. Worrying trend, i.e take that example Polaris card from AMD. What if it comes in priced at same level as GTX 950 offers same performance but lower power consumption, which yeah great performance per watt has improved, but not performance per price lol.

It might be sensible to sit the first round of die shrunk cards out until pricing settles. I think these cards are gonna be priced to the moon.

As I am not sensible no doubt I will buy as soon as they land :p

Soldato
OP
Amd need to come out swinging so hopefully they come out with a big powerful chip to start off with which in turn will force Nv into doing the same.

Ye i will have no probs going with AMD either if they provide a card with much greater perf over a 980Ti.

Not sure what to expect this time, maybe they will surprise us.

Yeah it's not just the performance I want to see improved though this time. Pricing needs a shakeup.

I would be happy with a 980 Ti level performance level card but would like to see it much lower power envelope and priced accordingly.

In the old days the new midrange cards would beat the old high end and be priced at midrange. Lately we've seen midrange pretenders card priced at high end, then after a year of milking we get the new high end but it's even higher priced than before.

Would be great if a 980 Ti level card was the new midrange and priced at midrange. I would grab from AMD or Nvidia. I have no preference of either AMD or Nvidia just want the better hardware for whatever amount of money I'm willing to spend. Next card will be that mid - high end level either EVGA or Sapphire. Plz don't price it though the roof :p

Back
Top Bottom