• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Polaris architecture – GCN 4.0

I currently own a 7950 and looking to upgrade to the r390, however with the next gen around the corner should I wait?

I am still running a i5 2500k so It may be a big upgrade to six cores to lower the bottleneck.

I currently own a 7950 and looking to upgrade to the r390, however with the next gen around the corner should I wait?

I am still running a i5 2500k so It may be a big upgrade to six cores to lower the bottleneck.

Bottleneck on CPU will reduce for a while. Hopefully in the not too distant future when devs can rely on the API to be predictable they will be better able to utilise the CPU for increase AI complexity, increased engine complexity and adding more features to games. The short term situation with DX12 is it's reducing CPU load fairly dramatically, so over the next two years the majority of AAA titles are likely to need less CPU power than the past 3-4 years. So CPU wise I wouldn't be upgrading to remove any bottlenecks... though I would quantify that with a if you're happy overclocking CPU a bit, if you are it will be plenty for a while.

GPU, yeah, personally I wouldn't upgrade to anything now. I've got a 290, well 2 but xfire/sli support has gone to the dogs. If new gen stuff wasn't coming this year I'd seriously consider the cheapest probably Nano I could find then put it under water. But I think at worst Polaris 10 will be the best option in the next few months, might stretch it out and wait for Vega probably Jan/Feb next year... may do both.

Bottleneck on CPU will reduce for a while. Hopefully in the not too distant future when devs can rely on the API to be predictable they will be better able to utilise the CPU for increase AI complexity, increased engine complexity and adding more features to games. The short term situation with DX12 is it's reducing CPU load fairly dramatically, so over the next two years the majority of AAA titles are likely to need less CPU power than the past 3-4 years. So CPU wise I wouldn't be upgrading to remove any bottlenecks... though I would quantify that with a if you're happy overclocking CPU a bit, if you are it will be plenty for a while.

GPU, yeah, personally I wouldn't upgrade to anything now. I've got a 290, well 2 but xfire/sli support has gone to the dogs. If new gen stuff wasn't coming this year I'd seriously consider the cheapest probably Nano I could find then put it under water. But I think at worst Polaris 10 will be the best option in the next few months, might stretch it out and wait for Vega probably Jan/Feb next year... may do both.

Agreed. Going to wait for both pascal and Polaris and see what they offer and decide then myself. Then later I do see myself getting a Vega when it comes out. That way I get to play with two new toys :D

Likely I will keep the vega for 2-3 years after that.

Off topic, on a side note, I say keep wenger :p;):D

Same position but i just pulled the trigger on a 390 today. Its all well and good waiting but i currently have some games that run poorly at 1440p and after selling my 7950 and the hitman game i am only out of pocket 160. When pascal/polaris come out i reckon i could still get 100+ for the card if i decide to sell it and upgrade so its not really costing me much and if they keep delaying the cards i am not stuck in the meantime.

no. code for: "we are going for market share".

That's actually spot on. If they lose any more ground they risk becoming irrelevant in the PC space.
Nvidia, on the other hand, have a complex headache in the way developers are programming DX12, and specifically async compute. If rumours are correct, Pascal doesn't fully resolve the issue, so they're relying on brute power to see them win over the competition.

All of this is really good news for us. No one's going to argue with cheap or powerful. If we get both it will be amazing.

Better to buy stuff earlier rather than much later imo seeings as the 980Ti is not far off a year old now, I'll be waiting for the Pascal Ti at least before changing as the midrange level will likely be similar perf, or if better probably not by much at all.

Yeah I'll wait, not in a rush to upgrade right this minute.

http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/a...10-is-in-our-office-and-heres-what-to-expect/

We’ve all heard about AMD’s response to the NVIDIA’s Pascal generation CPUs but not all had the chance to test the new GPUs. Luckily, we were able to get our hands on an early engineering sample of what is believed to be an AMD Radeon Polaris 10 series GPU. 10 means that the GPU is used in consoles and notebooks and in our case – a notebook.

The laptop we have is considered to be low to mid-range notebook so the chances are that we are not testing the high-end model. However, it will give us a good grasp of what’s to come from AMD’s Polaris generation and how will compete in the mid-range segment against NVIDIA’s Pascal counterparts.

One of the most notable features we are really excited about is the brand new GCN 4 architecture that brings tons of new features including the well-known instruction pre-fetch, which is found in the CPU industry. Along with the GCN 4, the company finally goes 14nm on its graphic chips using the FinFET manufacturing technology process. This will decrease the overall power consumption at idle and at load while limiting the leakage of current and lower heat dispersion.

We are eager to test out the full potential of the GPU so expect full set of test and a full review in the coming days or week.

Probably means Polaris 11 - so already in laptops.

Code for - we are selling the mid range parts first as they make up the majority of the market, it makes sense so we can improve the market share and use smaller parts until the fabs get better on the new lithography and they will be priced like mid range parts.

;) ;)

Probably means Polaris 11 - so already in laptops.

Unfortunately with AMD, the next question when it comes to laptop parts is..... Can you actually buy it? And not just in a one off form like an envy 13". An actual honest to god, market wide part.

Code for - we are selling the mid range parts first as they make up the majority of the market, it makes sense so we can improve the market share and use smaller parts until the fabs get better on the new lithography and they will be priced like mid range parts.

;) ;)

Unfortunately with AMD, the next question when it comes to laptop parts is..... Can you actually buy it? And not just in a one off form like an envy 13". An actual honest to god, market wide part.

Polaris 11 is meant to be small and cheap,so might do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom