• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD prepare a new offensive

Associate
depends on what you do of course. anything that maxes out all your cores (encoding, rendering etc) will of course benefit from any freq increase.

most other things tbf, wont. inc gaming at this point (unless your physics also runs off your CPU and *isn*t* threaded)

IMO of course :p

Soldato
I got bored of the waiting and just got a dirt cheap Asus 790FX and a cheap Phenom 9600 to last me until the new AMD's are out.
If I can get 2.6-2.7ghz stable in a 64bit OS over the next few months I'd be more than happy. TLB bug? I'll eat my hat if I experience it.

I can not see the PhenomFX coming out at 4ghz though, maybe 3ghz but with more appealing power useage... I imagine the "normal" Phenoms will come out on 45nm at pretty much the same clock speeds we see them at right now, maybe a small boost.
I'm interested to see just what the extra (and faster?) cache will do for the CPU, also to see if Nehalem is a bit of an anti-climax, which seeing as it's almost being built as the second coming of Christ, could happen.

Soldato
depends on what you do of course. anything that maxes out all your cores (encoding, rendering etc) will of course benefit from any freq increase.

most other things tbf, wont. inc gaming at this point (unless your physics also runs off your CPU and *isn*t* threaded)

IMO of course :p

There you go ripping apart my analogy by using such silly things as facts to try to sway the vote!!!

Ok, but truth, a very small number of people who overclock actually need to overclock at all...

Those who do need it, do things like Rendering etc I can accept that but the vast majority of users dont really need the speed.

a bit of an anti-climax, which seeing as it's almost being built as the second coming of Christ, could happen.

Nearly everythign that comes out gets billed as the second coming and turns out to be a wet nanky... The only thing that did deliver for me, was C2D - that certainly did what was on its tin, but pretty much everythign else got hyped to buggery and quite frankly flopped like an Elephants flacid phalus.

Soldato
I have not in truth really bothered to compare frame rates...

All I know, is that I run a game on my fastest PC and I run that same game on my slowest PC, and the difference is too small for me to seriously worry about...

Sure, I suppose, if I was to put them head to head, side by side, or run frame-rate benchmarks, I will see a difference, but to just go to any one PC and start playing a game, is pretty much exactly the same experience as it is to play it on another PC.

I do however, say this with a hidden pinch of salt, because my slowest PC is actually a single core AMD 3700 and my fastest is a Quad core C2D Q9450 so there is a massive difference there, but of course I did say "These days" and I stick by that... The Q9450 is no different to the Q6600 or even the E6300 in nearly all the games I play, and bar a few % here and there, I really cannot see THAT much difference at all...

Back
Top Bottom