** AMD R290X NOW AVAILABLE & OVERCLOCKING REVIEW!! **

Soldato
Guessing 5UB missed his alarm, poor guy needs his sleep! ;)

Really looking forward to 8 packs opinion on these 290X's, but think we can see it being very similar to yours Gibbo...

Also great to see all ref designs using (ref?) blower coolers.

Soldato
Guessing 5UB missed his alarm, poor guy needs his sleep! ;)

Really looking forward to 8 packs opinion on these 290X's, but think we can see it being very similar to yours Gibbo...

Also great to see all ref designs using (ref?) blower coolers.

You haven't read the thread at all then? Looking at posts 5UB has been up easily since 5AM.

Associate
Highly dissapointing, like GTX 480 some time ago.
I think that sweetener = price tag = will convince some people to buy it, but.. BUY IT and USE IT is something different. Will see within few months (weeks/days ?) if it is still so good :-/

Associate
I think AMD are onto a winner here when non-reference cards are released.

As it currently is, I don't think we can expect much of a price-drop on Nvidia's side - The reference cooler plays a large part in the low price of the 290x, and I think it hinders Nvidia with the more expensive cooler on the 780.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
I don't know why they force partners to use the crappy stock cooling solution for newly released top end stuff.

Its not like they don't all have huge warehouses full of 3rd party cooling units just sat there waiting to be bolted on to these cards.

Associate
I really don't like this card; smacks of compromise to me. It runs very hot, uses a lot of power, makes a lot of noise... why? Because it's constructed cheaply to make it competitive (I know Titan is expensive but you get a solid metal cooler that's efficient and quiet). They're pushing this chip so hard and it's not even a new architecture by any means; it's right on the edge of what they can achieve.

I would not be surprised if you start getting these RMA'd left, right and centre. I wouldn't use one without a water block and a good PSU.

Soldato
I really don't like this card; smacks of compromise to me. It runs very hot, uses a lot of power, makes a lot of noise... why? Because it's constructed cheaply to make it competitive (I know Titan is expensive but you get a solid metal cooler that's efficient and quiet). They're pushing this chip so hard and it's not even a new architecture by any means; it's right on the edge of what they can achieve.

I would not be surprised if you start getting these RMA'd left, right and centre. I wouldn't use one without a water block and a good PSU.

How does it use a lot of power, it's basically the same as all the other top end cards? The cooler is also quieter than the 7970 stock cooler. Granted, it runs hot, but its the stock cooler which it was forced to be released with - Why don't you just wait for the non-reference cooled ones to come out?

Haters gonna hate.

Back
Top Bottom