• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

I'd be interested to see how the trade-off you're making with x16/[email protected] vs moving to 2.0 and gaining HT works out.

+1, I'd also be interested, but not as much as me old mucker Petey would.

What benches would you guys like? I'll be doing 3d mark I also have Heaven, Sleeping Dogs, Tomb Raider and a few others kicking around. Just so I can get the i5 benches done before I forget in my excitements.

No, the vapor X will be a few fps faster, if that.

Cheers Matt. Still saving the coin for my first build but constantly reevaluating what I am going to include. Definitely leaning towards a 290 and was originally going to go for an MSI but from reviews the sapphire cards seem to be cooler and better build quality

That's the how to get crossfire working thread that I'm very familiar with haha. Where's the part about graphs? I'm assuming just detaching the usage in afterburner and screenshot that's if it's graphs your after? Or am I missing something in that thread.

There are a couple of set run benches they use on a couple of review sites you could copy.
Other than that, I suppose I could find some demanding sections that are easily repeatable (more or less) for a rough idea?

The opening set of levels are a bit ropey, so go with anything after you get out and into the sunshine/long grass I guess.

Well I'm playing through it and I've just not long gotten out but I was holding off till I got my i7. I'll see what checkpoints I have I could load up.

I've also got thief so I could do a mantle vs direct x run as that has a benchmark doesn't it?

Urgh, had the black screen issue mid game when playing Payday 2 Tuesday night... Happened after about 3-4 hours on it. I cap the fps at 105 as it limits the screen tearing nicely. GPU usage was hovering around 60% with temps around 72c so it wasn't like it was being heavily stressed. All ok after a hard restart.

Played again last night for a few hours and no issues. Hopefully it was just a one off, but it does make me wonder.

Cheers Matt. Still saving the coin for my first build but constantly reevaluating what I am going to include. Definitely leaning towards a 290 and was originally going to go for an MSI but from reviews the sapphire cards seem to be cooler and better build quality

The Sapphire cards seem to be the pick of the litter, cooling, overclocking and performance wise.

If a solid and extra years RMA service is your preference then go for the Gigabyte/MSI 290 cards.

If you're after powerful quiet cooling then I'd go with the Sapphire/Powercolor cards. The bonus the Sapphire cards have over Powercolor is you're guranteed Hynix memory with Sapphire which is a few percent faster than Elpida and often overclocks a bit better too.

Back
Top Bottom