• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Mobster
Soldato
So Which one would you guys recommend, I'm just put off with issues with AMD

for benchmarking and multimonitor setups. AMD ALL DAY. For casual gaming/use just get the Nvidia. It'll work outta the box.

Ill say what i always say; You gotta work with the AMD cards to get the most out of them.

Soldato
for benchmarking and multimonitor setups. AMD ALL DAY. For casual gaming/use just get the Nvidia. It'll work outta the box.

Ill say what i always say; You gotta work with the AMD cards to get the most out of them.

Well, my 290 is at stock and I can get respectable FPS out of BF4 single player on Ultra. I do get some severe FPS drops during some sections of the game, but I think there may be optimisation issues. Additionally - the drivers I am using are the ones that came on the disc with the card, so I could probably do with updating them! :D

Anyone know a good source of Asus / AMD drivers? My card is an Asus, but their website is that slow the pages time out before they load :(

It is early days yet but so far no black screen errors :) I have read that vrm temps may be part of the cause though, and bad software/driver performance.

I had MSI Afterburner software on my previous card (6870) and that was very poor, and often crashed my system when trying to overclock.

Associate
I know the 290 will destroy the 770 acx but is it something to go for as it will be very loud
And hot untill I wc in about 9 months time. Will my case (air 540) benefit the stock 290 by any chance ?

Mobster
Soldato
Well, my 290 is at stock and I can get respectable FPS out of BF4 single player on Ultra. I do get some severe FPS drops during some sections of the game, but I think there may be optimisation issues. Additionally - the drivers I am using are the ones that came on the disc with the card, so I could probably do with updating them! :D

Anyone know a good source of Asus / AMD drivers? My card is an Asus, but their website is that slow the pages time out before they load :(

It is early days yet but so far no black screen errors :) I have read that vrm temps may be part of the cause though, and bad software/driver performance.

I had MSI Afterburner software on my previous card (6870) and that was very poor, and often crashed my system when trying to overclock.

You dont download the drivers for your card from ASUS. You download it directly from AMD lol

Mobster
Soldato
I know the 290 will destroy the 770 acx but is it something to go for as it will be very loud
And hot untill I wc in about 9 months time. Will my case (air 540) benefit the stock 290 by any chance ?

I never used the stock cooler so i dont know what to say about this lol

Caporegime
I can answer questions about the AMD card. 60% or louder on the fan speed is loud. This should be good on a single card for an overclock around 1100/1400 minimum. Quite possible you will get more from the core and memory at that fan speed and keep temps well below 90c. 50% fan speed or lower is very quiet and should be enough for stock settings or a small overclock 1050/1350 etc.

Caporegime
I don't know what GPU's you've used in the past if you think 50% is very quiet :p

Yeah 50% is quiet. I mean i can hear it but its not at all loud. Mind you i don't keep my ear right next to my pc listening for fan noise while i play games. I only find the noise to be distracting or noticeable once i hit 60% or louder.

Associate
As i said earlier, 780s are better out of the box, a lot better overall. If you want RAW HORSEPOWER AMD is the way to go.

Just get the 780 :)

The thing is, i want to keep the price around £330 so 290 seems great for the price, do you think the black screen issue is something to be worried about ?

I can answer questions about the AMD card. 60% or louder on the fan speed is loud. This should be good on a single card for an overclock around 1100/1400 minimum. Quite possible you will get more from the core and memory at that fan speed and keep temps well below 90c. 50% fan speed or lower is very quiet and should be enough for stock settings or a small overclock 1050/1350 etc.

i wont be overclocking this at all on stock cooler as it will be more than enough for me on 1080p :), if i was to go for the 290, which one would you recommend? i know everyone keeps saying all the referance ones are the same but i feel MSI has to be the best option due to the wc warranty and the free copy of bf4.

Mobster
Soldato
The thing is, i want to keep the price around £330 so 290 seems great for the price, do you think the black screen issue is something to be worried about ?

i wont be overclocking this at all on stock cooler as it will be more than enough for me on 1080p :), if i was to go for the 290, which one would you recommend? i know everyone keeps saying all the referance ones are the same but i feel MSI has to be the best option due to the wc warranty and the free copy of bf4.

Black screen issue is really going to **** it up if you get a card that has the issue. I still dont know if its a driver issue or not. My 290x had this issue, my 290 does not.

I'd be worried.

Back
Top Bottom