• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Caporegime
The thing is, i want to keep the price around £330 so 290 seems great for the price, do you think the black screen issue is something to be worried about ?

i wont be overclocking this at all on stock cooler as it will be more than enough for me on 1080p :), if i was to go for the 290, which one would you recommend? i know everyone keeps saying all the referance ones are the same but i feel MSI has to be the best option due to the wc warranty and the free copy of bf4.

Get this one. Comes with BF4. Three year warranty and you can remove the reference cooler without voiding the warranty. (so long as you dont damage the card in the process)

Associate
Black screen issue is really going to **** it up if you get a card that has the issue. I still dont know if its a driver issue or not. My 290x had this issue, my 290 does not.

I'd be worried.

Has AMD said anything about this issue ? ive also heard people saying it might be due to the cooler as it gets too hot.

Get this one. Comes with BF4. Three year warranty and you can remove the reference cooler without voiding the warranty. (so long as you dont damage the card in the process)

this is the one i will go for, but then again the ******k black screen seems to put me off it. Also, do you think setting a frame limit on certain games will keep the card cool and quite (if thats possible with these coolers :D)

Soldato
Add me to the club...for now ;) Got to see if this baby unlocks :cool:

90w1.jpg

e5bm.jpg

Came with Battlefield 4, so selling that + cashback means I get it for approx £280 all in :)

Such a lovely looking cooler to be honest...shame it's no good :p Although idling at 32C right now...I know it'll ramp up :p

Soldato
I don't think it will, but nice and welcome to the club.

I know mate but at the price it would have been rude not to take it.

So quick Heaven Run there...

Score: 1200 (usual 1080p benching settings on here)
Max Temp: 93 Degrees
Max Fan Speed: 48% (albeit quiet mode)

Now when doing the bios change if the numbers don't match those quoted on Overclock.net as per the hawaii program am I right in saying it definitely won't unlock? Or have people had theirs unlock despite the coding not matching?

Cheers

Caporegime
I know mate but at the price it would have been rude not to take it.

So quick Heaven Run there...

Score: 1200 (usual 1080p benching settings on here)
Max Temp: 93 Degrees
Max Fan Speed: 48% (albeit quiet mode)

Now when doing the bios change if the numbers don't match those quoted on Overclock.net as per the hawaii program am I right in saying it definitely won't unlock? Or have people had theirs unlock despite the coding not matching?

Cheers

Indeed it would. I got mine at Xmas when they were on offer for £299. Mine didn't unlock, hence the £299 price i reckon. Yours might though, so good luck.

Changing the paste to a quality one like Gelid can bring temps down 3-5c. Recommended. Setup a custom fan profile, it will work better than the stock one. If you stop the gpu getting so hot sooner, it stays cooler. The fan profile on auto won't kick in until its at 90c.

Yes if the clocks match the thread, you're in luck. Neither of mine matched, so i didn't attempt to flash.

Mobster
Soldato
Add me to the club...for now ;) Got to see if this baby unlocks :cool:

90w1.jpg

e5bm.jpg

Came with Battlefield 4, so selling that + cashback means I get it for approx £280 all in :)

Such a lovely looking cooler to be honest...shame it's no good :p Although idling at 32C right now...I know it'll ramp up :p

Im glad you joined the 290 Peasants!

Caporegime
I think ive perfected my voltage settings and custom fan profile now. Able to run stock clocks, with a low fan speed of 50% and not get any throttling and keeps temps around 85-93c depending on the game. I think this is pretty good when you consider i have crossfire. Temps are much lower with just one card.

EDIT

The afterburner picture doesn't show it but i have AUX voltage at -0.087mv at stock.

YtHil93.jpg

vPMLn6N.jpg

1LzcppE.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Me? Definitely staying with the reference coolers. You can kinda see the Sennheiser HD-25 headphones on the side there. When those bad boys are on, and I'm busy doing badly in BF4, the reference coolers are a distant memory :)

Once the PC is on the floor and under the desk, the noise will drop off considerably.

Caporegime
Me? Definitely staying with the reference coolers. You can kinda see the Sennheiser HD-25 headphones on the side there. When those bad boys are on, and I'm busy doing badly in BF4, the reference coolers are a distant memory :)

Once the PC is on the floor and under the desk, the noise will drop off considerably.

Atta boy.

This stuff will knock 3-5c off load temps.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=TH-001-GD

About time I validated mine.

Sapphire R9 290, stock cooler, never been overclocked.

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

Nice Tute, but shame on your cable management. :p

Soldato
Indeed it would. I got mine at Xmas when they were on offer for £299. Mine didn't unlock, hence the £299 price i reckon. Yours might though, so good luck.

Changing the paste to a quality one like Gelid can bring temps down 3-5c. Recommended. Setup a custom fan profile, it will work better than the stock one. If you stop the gpu getting so hot sooner, it stays cooler. The fan profile on auto won't kick in until its at 90c.

Yes if the clocks match the thread, you're in luck. Neither of mine matched, so i didn't attempt to flash.

No luck here Matt...:( Was a shot in the dark to be fair but what I'll do is bench a few titles etc. To be fair hitting 93 in Heaven is probably a decent start since Benchmarks are notoriously different to real gaming experiences.

I have a hybrid coming this week at some stage so the plan is to stick that on and quieten the thing down. Battlefield 4 to sell now too which looks like it'll go straight on the auction house! :p

Soldato
It would be better, but see the stock CPU cooler? I've got something planned for that soon, which would involve destroying my lovely managed cables. So that'll do for now. :)

Back
Top Bottom