• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Soldato
Caporegime
Have you put that on your cards?

I forgot to say that one of my cards has Elipda memory, and the other has Hynix. Makes no difference to me though. I haven't had any black screen issues, and the cards now run great after I reinstalled the 13.12 drivers yesterday (DDU for the win!).

No as that would void our warranty with OcuK. However if you were to do it, ive been reliably informed that it knocks a lot off the load temps. Use a grain of rice application method and screw it back up as tight as you can. ;)

Both my cards have Elpida and both seem to clock well on the memory.

Last edited:
Soldato
No as that would void our warranty with OcuK. However if you were to do it, ive been reliably informed that it knocks a lot off the load temps. Use a grain of rice application method and screw it back up as tight as you can. ;)

Both my cards have Elpida and both seem to clock well on the memory.

Fair enough. Wouldn't want to void the warranty on such an expensive item (x 2)!

Soldato
Rig pics plox.

As requested :)

3jiDX12.jpg

Specs:

4770K @ 4.4GHz
Gigabyte Z87 G1.Sniper M5 motherboard
Patriot Venom Red 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C10 2400MHz Dual Channel Memory Kit
2 x Sapphire R9 290s
1 x 256GB Crucial MD SSD
2 x 4TB WD RED HDDs
Corsair AX860 PSU
Corsair H100i
Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 case
Dell U2713HM monitor

Unfortunately the H100i has this fault so I have to find the inclination to rip everything out and RMA it :(

Last edited:
Caporegime
As requested :)

3jiDX12.jpg

Specs:

4770K @ 4.4GHz
Gigabyte Z87 G1.Sniper M5 motherboard
Patriot Venom Red 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 PC3-19200C10 2400MHz Dual Channel Memory Kit
2 x Sapphire R9 290s
1 x 256GB Crucial MD SSD
2 x 4TB WD RED HDDs
Corsair AX860 PSU
Corsair H100i
Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 case
Dell U2713HM monitor

Unfortunately the H100i has this fault so I have to find the inclination to rip everything out and RMA it :(

Nice. :cool:

For all the crap the reference cooler gets, it always looks smart when its paired with another.

Handy tip for you to help reduce temps even further. Keep a positive air pressure in your case. (more intake fans than exhaust fans) Remove all those spare pci brackets, give the cards more room to breathe. Positive pressure will then naturally force all the hot air out of the rear of the case. Check my pci brackets. (there aren't any!) I have one 120mm exhaust fan and 6 intake fans.

EDIT

Make your H100i intake should give you positive pressure. Don't forget to put a dust filter on top though!

wGzMFKk.jpg

1LzcppE.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice. :cool:

For all the crap the reference cooler gets, it always looks smart when its paired with another.

Handy tip for you to help reduce temps even further. Keep a positive air pressure in your case. (more intake fans than exhaust fans) Remove all those spare pci brackets, give the cards more room to breathe. Positive pressure will then naturally force all the hot air out of the rear of the case. Check my pci brackets. (there aren't any!) I have one 120mm exhaust fan and 6 intake fans.

EDIT

Make your H100i intake should give you positive pressure. Don't forget to put a dust filter on top though!

wGzMFKk.jpg

1LzcppE.jpg

Interesting! Is that why the fans on your H100(i) are on the top?

When I RMA my H100i, I may have to try your advice.

Caporegime
Interesting! Is that why the fans on your H100(i) are on the top?

When I RMA my H100i, I may have to try your advice.

Yes. You get better cpu temps if you have it as intake. The rear 120mm exhaust you have will suck out the hot air it puts in the case. Plus with more air being pushed into your case, you get less dust as hot air is forced out of all the case gaps. Positive pressure for the win. Pack in as many intake fans as you can. I have 4x120mm side fans, 1x200mm front intake +1x120mm top intake, +2x120mm H100i intake fans and just one exhaust. Plus my 2x290's exhausting and psu.

Soldato
That's a lot of fans :eek:

I can put a 140mm on the bottom of the case, and a 140mm on the side panel. I still have two Corsair AF140 quiet editions left over, so I may just give that a go. The case has a crude built-in fan controller which is quite handy.

Cheers :D

Caporegime
That's a lot of fans :eek:

I can put a 140mm on the bottom of the case, and a 140mm on the side panel. I still have two Corsair AF140 quiet editions left over, so I may just give that a go. The case has a crude built-in fan controller which is quite handy.

Cheers :D

That sounds suitable. Use a side intake fan and feed those gpus cold air, really helps.

Regarding my fans they're all bitfenix Spectre Pro blue led fans. So they're very quiet, even when at full speed. I also cut away the mesh metal grills all over my 600T case to improve airflow and reduce the noise the fans create. I use 2x120mm 1850 RPM Gentle Typhoons on the H100i. Aside from the 290's over 50% fan speed, they're the loudest fans in my case, at full speed. All via a Lian Li fan controller.

Soldato
Ok...so been messing around with the overclocking potential prior to the Hydro coming.

Stuck the stock fan on a constant 60% at present to test out.

So far I am seeing:

1.1Ghz Core (stable @ +19mv)
5.5Ghz Mem (stable @ Stock V)

Not too bad for starters :)

Caporegime
Ok...so been messing around with the overclocking potential prior to the Hydro coming.

Stuck the stock fan on a constant 60% at present to test out.

So far I am seeing:

1.1Ghz Core (stable @ +19mv)
5.5Ghz Mem (stable @ Stock V)

Not too bad for starters :)

Not bad mate. I can do 1100/1400 BF4 stable at stock voltage. Any higher on the core needs a voltage bump. You might be able to bring your voltage down a bit at that core clock. Mine appear to be average clockers.

Soldato
Not bad mate. I can do 1100/1400 BF4 stable at stock voltage. Any higher on the core needs a voltage bump. You might be able to bring your voltage down a bit at that core clock. Mine appear to be average clockers.

Had it set @ +13mv on Fire Strike and got an artifact on screen, bumped it up and away they went, done a run in Valley to stress it, didn't hit higher than 83C @60% fan, albeit extra airflown turned up on the case.

I'm gonna up the Mem to 1400 and try the core at 1110.

Soldato
Played a 40minute conquest game in BF4 tonight @ 1050/1300 (Stock volts) with a custom fan profile (max 60%) and it hit a 92C max without ramping up my case fans like usual.

Headphones in so obviously heard nothing but happy to report no Black Screens and perfect/seamless performance without a drop in GPU speeds. :)

Soldato
played and completed battlefield 4 this morning, was getting some dx error but played around and seem to have a stable core of 1150 with +44mv.
memory is at stock for now as wanted to isolate where the error message was coming from, will up that at a later date. temps are max of 79c with custom profile.

Soldato
Hi all.

I have the rig in my signature. Will my corsair AX760i be powerful enough to run a 2nd 290? I dont overclock either GPU or cpu.

Cheers

PS I have the 'voltage unlocled' 290. What does this mean exactly?

Caporegime
Hi all.

I have the rig in my signature. Will my corsair AX760i be powerful enough to run a 2nd 290? I dont overclock either GPU or cpu.

Cheers

PS I have the 'voltage unlocled' 290. What does this mean exactly?

Yes it will be fine at stock or with a small overclock of say 1100/1400 on crossfire. Running a 290 Pro Crossfire setup on a 750W Gold Seasonic PSU. If you're going for a high cpu+gpu overclocks you'll need a better psu though.

Caporegime
Matt have you ran one 290 on it's own at all? I was just wondering what the noise is like compared to the ol' 7990.

I have but only while benchmarking, so the fan has generally been at 100%. Its a bit louder than the 7990. :)

At 100% its like having a woman next to you blow drying her hair. If you keep the fan at 50% or lower, i consider it quiet though.

Back
Top Bottom