• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Caporegime
Maybe run a Heaven or Valley bench so we can see your score to make sure everything is ok. Did you setup gpu overlays? Battlefield 4 has been crashing for me all day, so i think thats a game bug btw.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I do a bit of mining and gaming and observe this strange behaviour which I am hoping someone else may have experienced.

The monitor goes unresponsive and the GPU fans are not being taxed (like idle). The keyboard LCD displays the cpu still responds so is not locked up but I have to reset to get control again.

Wondering if this is something to do with 290/X black screens or power saving features?

Played a couple of maps on BF4 no problem so it seems to just be mining that causes this. Anyone have any ideas?

Matt can you be a hero one more time? :p

Caporegime
I do a bit of mining and gaming and observe this strange behaviour which I am hoping someone else may have experienced.

The monitor goes unresponsive and the GPU fans are not being taxed (like idle). The keyboard LCD displays the cpu still responds so is not locked up but I have to reset to get control again.

Wondering if this is something to do with 290/X black screens or power saving features?

Played a couple of maps on BF4 no problem so it seems to just be mining that causes this. Anyone have any ideas?

Matt can you be a hero one more time? :p

Try turning the monitor on and off, move the mouse and see if it picks up the display again? Had something similar happen sometimes when i run a non native res on my monitor.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Try turning the monitor on and off, move the mouse and see if it picks up the display again? Had something similar happen sometimes when i run a non native res on my monitor.

I couldn't get the monitor back on using these methods. It is an old monitor using a DVI port and the LED is green when working. The card fans would have still been hammering along if the display just forgot to initiate but the mining stops so hard to point where to begin.

Soldato
Looks like I've finally got a working MSI 290 :D

Run it for a good couple of hours & the previous problems with black screens haven't appeared.
Frame rates in Crysis 3 & Grid 2 are excellent. One happy bunny !

Soldato
Maybe run a Heaven or Valley bench so we can see your score to make sure everything is ok. Did you setup gpu overlays? Battlefield 4 has been crashing for me all day, so i think thats a game bug btw.

My game crashes with the overlay instantly the graphics driver stops.

And it just happens all the time with BF4 now -_-

I will run a heaven bench and post the scores.

Soldato
Just ran this setup Matt all stock.

1618407_10152033532683264_1237590704_n.jpg

Soldato
I have them in slot 1 and slot 3 in my board - They seem to be both running in 16x slots at 8x :\.

I get random driver crashes now and then in what ever slot they were in.

I tried beta and latest none beta drivers.

Associate
Btw my 290 Tri-X arrives tomorrow, will post box shots etc

Amazing card but I've had to RMA one due to the bearings in the fans making a weird noise at random times. It was so anoyying sounded like a part of the shroud was cut wrong and hitting one of the fans.

And my replacement might be having the black screen problem. Sigh :rolleyes:

What a good looking card though!

IMAG0243_1.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Same happened my tri x with the strange fan noise, it got very annoying.

Just got approved for a replacement this morning so now im sitting tight waiting for overclockers to get in more stock

Fingers crossed i wont be going through it again. Post office charged me €40 to send it back :eek:

Back
Top Bottom