• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Soldato
Same happened my tri x with the strange fan noise, it got very annoying.

Just got approved for a replacement this morning so now im sitting tight waiting for overclockers to get in more stock

Fingers crossed i wont be going through it again. Post office charged me €40 to send it back :eek:

I dont understand why people are not using collect plus this would have cost you £12 delivered within 2 working days and insured for over £300 and signed for, Royal mail are taking the michael.

On a side note it seems with even the newer cards tri-x etc its still a lottery as to whether the card is going to work correctly and IMO for a top end AMD card surely this is becoming unacceptable, i mean how many have they had to replace now?

Last edited:
Associate
I dont understand why people are not using collect plus this would have cost you £12 delivered within 2 working days and insured for over £300 and signed for, Royal mail are taking the michael.

On a side note it seems with even the newer cards tri-x etc its still a lottery as to whether the card is going to work correctly and IMO for a top end AMD card surely this is becoming unacceptable, i mean how many have they had to replace now?
Well Im Irish. So it was delivered with DPD in two working days. Fairly impressed!

DPD wanted €60 off me to send it back. The cheapest way I found was the post office(An Post) at €35 which is an absolute disgrace. It was insured up to €300 tho

So I'm seriously hoping the next card I get is 100% working as I honestly cant afford to RMA it again :(

Its been my first build and I've honestly had horrendous luck. I needed to RMA my motherboard too. Its been an extra costly adventure haha

Currently have everything working 100%, just need a new tri 290 to get back to my gaming :)

Associate
Count me on the board powercolor r9 290! Amazingly good card, AMD are the winner!
-Asus m5a97
-Corsair vengeance 2x4gb
-Corsair GS600 psu

Permabanned
And my replacement might be having the black screen problem. Sigh :rolleyes:
[/IMG]

so glad i never got a replacment for my tri-x which had black screen problem sent it back for refund, moved over to nvidia after being with ati/amd for the last 4 years

Last edited:
Soldato
I am disappointed with my 290 CF. The performance and also the fact that I got bad clockers.
Was tempted to upgrade them with the Tri-X ones, but these black screen stories aren't helping. I was hoping that'd be a thing of the past with the custom cards.
Also for the price difference it's tempting to get reference 290Xs, but they just seem like poor value compared to my reference 290s.
Really not sure whether to bother getting new cards or suffering on with my current ones until the next gen. I should've waited for the custom cards really.

What are the MSI Gaming 290s like? anyone know? Black Screen issues? Do they overclock well?

Associate
The reliability of the Tri X 290 cannot be that bad can it?

Surely there must be people out there loving it right now...

I need some positive posts before I lose my mind haha

:eek:

Caporegime
How many have had the black screening and 'no display' issues to take a count?

These black screening problems, is it the cards that are the problem or is it a driver issue?

Only black screens i get are caused by overclocking and not supplying enough voltage. If the card black screens at stock with 13.12 WHQL, then its faulty. A lot (but not all) black screens are caused by people overclocking with not really understanding that increasing the memory speed often requires more core voltage.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
so glad i never got a replacment for my tri-x which had black screen problem sent it back for refund, moved over to nvidia after being with ati/amd for the last 4 years

OMG I am now considering this too. It should not be a lottery if your 290 doesn't black screen!

Trouble is the £400 will only equate to a 780.. :(

EDIT- Matt, I am considering the dark side now...

Associate
OMG I am now considering this too. It should not be a lottery if your 290 doesn't black screen!

Trouble is the £400 will only equate to a 780.. :(

EDIT- Matt, I am considering the dark side now...

Th0nt just remember bad news travels faster than good news.
I've got a MSI 290 GE and I'm extremely impressed with it; currently I'm playing Battlefield 4 at everything set to Ultra with a minimum overclock on it and after about 3 hours the max temp it hit was 76c with fan at 50c and stock voltage.
It was still very very quiet and my case hasn't even got optimal cooling so hopefully once I clean it out I'll get a little bit off the temperature.
I can also confirm it's not black screened once (touch wood) and I've not had any other problems with it.
The problem with this forum is the majority of people that post on here regarding the 290 will be the ones looking for help where as the majority of people that buy the 290 and have a good experience won't ever post about it unless they're active in the forum.

Associate
The reliability of the Tri X 290 cannot be that bad can it?

Surely there must be people out there loving it right now...

I need some positive posts before I lose my mind haha

:eek:

I'm one of them! lol

Nothing but praise for this card. Best purchase I've made in a longtime, 100% hassle free! *touches large wood!* lol

Back
Top Bottom