• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Associate
Not think the FPS are a bit low for my setup?

Check cpu and gpu usage whilst running. If the cpu is at 100% and the gpu isnt then perhaps in those games there is a cpu bottleneck, but I doubt it at the higher resolution your running at which would normally put more stress on the gpu.

I had an i5 760 when i got my 290X and in benchmarks the difference between it and my current i7 4770K are minimal. Though they are of course heavily gpu intensive.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I have only had my MSI 290 for about a day and so far it has been fine. Impressed with it overall, just wish it ran cooler, hitting 86 degrees @ load after a hour or so of gaming, dread to imagine what temp it will be hitting when the really hot weather kicks in.........

Soldato
You have an ancient PSU, try upgrading that first.

Did you plug both power connectors into the GFX card (8pin and 6pin)?

Is the boards BIOS upto date?

Dont mock my poor old PSU :p Yeah i plugged them all in and no, i havent updated my bios. Never had to before in my life but looks like i might need to.

Man of Honour
Dont mock my poor old PSU :p Yeah i plugged them all in and no, i havent updated my bios. Never had to before in my life but looks like i might need to.

The cards are very demanding on PSUs

Three of my 290Xs were too much for a Corsair 1200i

But I had a plan.:D

Vsgidar.jpg
[/IMG]

Caporegime
Check cpu and gpu usage whilst running. If the cpu is at 100% and the gpu isnt then perhaps in those games there is a cpu bottleneck, but I doubt it.

I had an i5 760 when i got my 290X and in benchmarks the difference between it and my current i7 4770K are minimal.

Just played a quick bit of crysis 3 and here are some afterburner screenies:

NZuzvLi.png
DeDMsRJ.png

Associate
I have only had my MSI 290 for about a day and so far it has been fine. Impressed with it overall, just wish it ran cooler, hitting 86 degrees @ load after a hour or so of gaming, dread to imagine what temp it will be hitting when the really hot weather kicks in.........

Thats normal to be honest and the temp wont go any higher but what will happen is that the card will throttle to keep the temps in check.

May be worth setting up a custom fan profile if you want to keep to a lower temp but higher fan speed may mean more noise.

Caporegime
So close to ordering a tri x 290 but hear nothing but stability issues with the whole 290 range :(

Can anyone honestly say what the deal is with these cards? Good/bad?

I can't comment on other people, my experience of the 290 is its absolutely rock solid.

Its pretty boring as a GPU in the sense it never gives me reason to mess about with it, it rather annoyingly just works without fail.

Caporegime
Mantle in bf 4 with this 290 is lovely, game def. feels smoother overall now! :cool:

Yeah looks like in Crysis 3 you have very high cpu usage and the gpu is up and down like a yoyo.

Are you able to overclock anymore?

I have had both an i5 750 and 760 in the past and both did 4.0ghz with a decent cooler.

Nah, I had to drop the OC for my CPU since getting this gpu as it pushed the cpu temps up by quite a bit :( Was at 3.8GHz, now at 3.6GHz which goes to 3.8GHz with turbo.

I think I will go ahead and buy a i5 4670k when the price drops in the next month or so anyway, have had this i5 750 chip for about 4-5 years now :o :p

Thats normal to be honest and the temp wont go any higher but what will happen is that the card will throttle to keep the temps in check.

May be worth setting up a custom fan profile if you want to keep to a lower temp but higher fan speed may mean more noise.

Hmmm, I might actually look into that custom profile, got any recommended settings?

I am planning on adding 2x120mm fans to the top of my case in the next few months so hopefully that should help a bit as well as the new CPU running a decent bit cooler....

Caporegime
Just played a quick bit of crysis 3 and here are some afterburner screenies:

NZuzvLi.png
DeDMsRJ.png

Are you using vsync and bouncing off the 60 fps limit? Because otherwise you're at cpu bottleneck central and the population is you.

Mantle in bf 4 with this 290 is lovely, game def. feels smoother overall now! :cool:

Word. Another Nvidia user converted to Mantle. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom