• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Yeah I am going to use mantle for hardline but not bf 4 as sweetfx won't work then :( Unless there is a fix for this now???

BTW, just having a look at AMD ccc and noticed that AMD overdrive was enabled by default (iirc shouldn't this always be disabled at default??), any recommended settings I should be using for the power limit setting? (with my 7850 and old antec 500w psu, I had to use 20% otherwise I got blue screen in COD black ops 2)

210f0uo.png

Leave overdrive disabled, so untick it. Use MSI afterburner for overclocking and copy these settings. Set +50% powertune in afterburner and away you go.

gtpBHNv.jpg

See for the box beside unlock voltage control (you have reference selected), since I have a MSI card, should I just leave it at "standard MSI" or switch it to "reference design" or "Extended MSI"?

I'm a MSI afterburner noob :o

See for the box beside unlock voltage control (you have reference selected), since I have a MSI card, should I just leave it at "standard MSI" or switch it to "reference design" or "Extended MSI"?

I'm a MSI afterburner noob :o

If it's the MSI gaming just leave it as MSI standard. If it's the lightning select Extended MSI.

loving my 290 but drivers in general seem buggy

I went back to official 14.4 - and in Metro LL - clocks suddenly dropped from overclocked 3d clocks to 2d mode - ie from 1150 down to 800 - volts you coul dsee rop to 2d mode too

yet press escape for LL menu and voila you se afterburner report 1150 core and full performance volts, back to game, 2d clocks, escape for menu back to 1150 core

weird

If it's the MSI gaming just leave it as MSI standard. If it's the lightning select Extended MSI.

MSI standard it is then!

Here are some more benchmarks for crysis 3 and metro last light:

Crysis 3:

r6s64vFh.png.jpg

Texture set to high and using FXAA

iIrEljG.png

Metro Last light:

Physx turned of

3GquIJCh.png.jpg

kNYqoXo.png

Not think the FPS are a bit low for my setup?

MSI standard it is then!

Here are some more benchmarks for crysis 3 and metro last light:

Crysis 3:

r6s64vFh.png.jpg

Texture set to high and using FXAA

iIrEljG.png

Metro Last light:

Physx turned of

3GquIJCh.png.jpg

kNYqoXo.png

Not think the FPS are a bit low for my setup?

Looking at your specs and resolution I would say your i5 is having a hard time. The games you tested are very cpu demanding.

I thought that might be the reason :( Just wasn't 100% sure as a few other forums/threads with similar topics didn't think there would be much of a bottleneck, looks like I might be upgrading sooner than later then!

Here is batman arkham origins:

3kEMIlzh.png.jpg

NojsSYe.png

I was selling my PC and going laptop but after trying a GT70 and Asus G750 and finding both crap I have decided to keep my PC. I have re-installed my 4770k and Just ordered myself an MSI R9 290 gaming (Again)..... :)

Anyone shine some like about the 2 types of memory used in these cards? Do they only affect mining? Will it affect gaming and over clocking the core? - most gain on fps?

So close to ordering a tri x 290 but hear nothing but stability issues with the whole 290 range :(

Can anyone honestly say what the deal is with these cards? Good/bad?
Overall the 290 range is fine yes there is a few cards that have issues like all vendors have.
I wouldnt let it stop me buying one but if its a huge concern to you then you have to either look down to 280x's or left to the Nvidia equivalents if your not willing to try

Back
Top Bottom