• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Caporegime
Cheers will check out those fans and move the others around.

Phanteks TC14
I5 4670
MSI x97 gaming 5
Samsung 225GB SSD
16GB ram

That system shouldn't be generating as much heat as mine so I reckon it is just your case and fans that are the reasons for high GPU temps.

Worth trying bf 4 MP or a less demanding game out just to see how your temps and fan speed are for it.

Soldato
Well, it's been a fun and exciting weekend, but the PC is finally back together and working nicely. My MX100 is in place and has my data on it, another 2TB drive is now RAIDed with my original to give me 4TB of games storage, and....

My Accelero Hybrid II-120 coolers are now both attached to my 290's. :D

PC booted up after being hacked about, which is nice, and sits at about 40C idle on GPU1 (I have ULPS enabled, so the second GPU shuts down, but because of the way the cooler works, the pump still runs but the rad's fan doesn't). So far I haven't run many games as it hasn't been back together long, but what I have run:

Sniper Elite V2 - 61C GPU1 core, 70C GPU1 VRM1, 66C GPU1 VRM2 ; 67C GPU2 Core, 73C GPU2 VRM1, 68C GPU2 VRM2

I also played Just Cause 2 for an hour (LOVE that game!) and my cores stayed under 70C, with my VRMs staying under 80.
Ran Heaven bench for a while, and that stabilised with cores in the early 60s and VRMs around 70. Just run Sleeping Dogs bench a few times and I'm getting similar temperatures to Heaven. Everything's run at 5760x1080 with (generally) maximum settings.

Fitting the coolers was actually fairly easy, instructions were thorough and clear. The hardest part was finding space in my case for the two radiators/fans. One fitted where I planned, but the other wouldn't because the radiator fouled on parts of the case and didn't match up with the holes, so that's in position "Plan B". :)

Because the heatsink fits on the rear of the cards, I was expecting to have to move my sound card from slot 1 (my GPUs are in slot 2 and 5) but I hadn't anticipated it would extend slightly beyond 1 slot wide and actually fouled my Silver Arrow. :( End result, I'm actually using my stock Intel cooler (the shame!) and have a Phanteks PH-TC12DX on order. Once I've got that and put my overclock back on, I'll get some proper runs and temperatures if people are interested. The heatsink being on the rear is also the reason GPU2 has higher temperatures than GPU1 - it's the cooling for GPU2 that is sandwiched between the two cards.

Apologies for the lack of pictures at the moment, they'll have to wait until I'm at the PC in daylight (and the Intel cooler is back in it's box!). All I will say is there's a lot of pipes, power cables and stuff - it ain't pretty but it's effective and, best of all, much, much, much quieter than my pair of stock coolers!

Apologies for the post and run, but I'm off to bed people as I've got an early start and I'm shattered. Good night y'all.

Soldato
Surprised matt is (or was) able to run 2 of these on a 750 watt psu, would have thought it would require a bit more than that.

At stock they hardly use much tbh, i've ran 2 from a single 500w PSU ;)
Took about 580w from the wall. Totally stock mind.

Matt's problem came about when overclocking and overvolting, a single card for me when clocked is taking my load up to nearly 600w lol.

Associate
Cheers, I love it :)

Its in a stuffy room but with all my case fans on full, 1150 core and 1600 memory I get max of 73c at 65% fan speed.

The system is still relatively quiet, to me anyway.

It may just be me but I thought a fan speed of 65% does seem a little high with a case fan virtually blowing directly on it. Do you have many case fans exhausting air?

Just looking to compaire when I get a 290 as I have a 650D with one 200mm in, one 200mm out and one 120mm out with a Noctua D14 CPU cooler taking up a bit of room :)

Soldato
I can see the appeal :p

How many have died on you? Anything more than 2 and i would have gone green by now after going red with rage.

Only 4 now although only 1 actually died the other 3 were just MSI's crappy build quality..

I don't get raged any more just a little closer to selling the lot and buy some Golf bats instead.... :)

Caporegime
Just bought thefogo's msi 290 ref off MM, looks like I'll be in the club for a while at least until I find out what asus are going to do about my 7990.

Soldato
This is a work of beauty, even if it is a reference cooler!!!

2052mgp.jpg

Back
Top Bottom