• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Associate
Hmm, not having much luck with this card. I've played around with case fans but it doesn't make any difference with temps and still hitting 87 degrees after 10mins playtime at 80% fan speed. Would this be classed as faulty?

Caporegime
Hmm, not having much luck with this card. I've played around with case fans but it doesn't make any difference with temps and still hitting 87 degrees after 10mins playtime at 80% fan speed. Would this be classed as faulty?

I have read a few reviews for that gigabyte card and it does get hot, iirc similar to the MSI card, but a bit hotter.

However, your ghost case with those bitfenix spectre fans aren't really that good for temps. What fan setup have you tried?

Although 87 degrees at 80% fan speed does sound a bit much...

Which games is that in?

Yep, I find even bf3 stressed the gpu more than bf4 does.

Might give bf 3 a quick go later and see what temps are like.

Caporegime
Will need to make room on my hard drive for that.

Just played mirrors edge for about 15 min there and max gpu temp is 63 and VRM temp 1 is 53 degrees with a fan speed of 36%

About to try watch dogs now.

Associate
I have read a few reviews for that gigabyte card and it does get hot, iirc similar to the MSI card, but a bit hotter.

However, your ghost case with those bitfenix spectre fans aren't really that good for temps. What fan setup have you tried?

Although 87 degrees at 80% fan speed does sound a bit much...

Which games is that in?

Might give bf 3 a quick go later and see what temps are like.

I might try and get another AF120 and pop two of them on the front instead. I tried

2x 120mm front, 140mm rear and one 140mm top
140mm front, 140mm rear
X120mm front, 140mm rear, 120mm bottom, x2 140mm top

I was playing Sleeping dog for about 20mins so might a less delanding game

Caporegime
your card fine nexus,stop worrying and enjoy you gaming,its middle of summer after all

Yup I will do wazza :D

Think even if MSI/ocuk say it is "faulty", I'll just keep it anyway as I don't seem to have any issues with it and don't really fancy taking the risk and getting another card where I could have a more serious problem...

And temps should get a little bit lower once I upgrade the CPU and get some new fans for the top and front.

I might try and get another AF120 and pop two of them on the front instead. I tried

2x 120mm front, 140mm rear and one 140mm top
140mm front, 140mm rear
X120mm front, 140mm rear, 120mm bottom, x2 140mm top

I was playing Sleeping dog for about 20mins so might a less delanding game

Personally I wouldn't get the corsair fans for the front as they have a weak static pressure. I would look at the akassa apache or noctua (if you don't mind the price) fans for the front and back instead and move your 2x140mm to the top (don't think static pressure matters as much for fans at the top since heat rises anyway)

What is the rest of your system? CPU? hard drives?

Associate
Yup I will do wazza :D

Think even if MSI/ocuk say it is "faulty", I'll just keep it anyway as I don't seem to have any issues with it and don't really fancy taking the risk and getting another card where I could have a more serious problem...

And temps should get a little bit lower once I upgrade the CPU and get some new fans for the top and front.

Personally I wouldn't get the corsair fans for the front as they have a weak static pressure. I would look at the akassa apache or noctua (if you don't mind the price) fans for the front and back instead and move your 2x140mm to the top (don't think static pressure matters as much for fans at the top since heat rises anyway)

What is the rest of your system? CPU? hard drives?

Cheers will check out those fans and move the others around.

Phanteks TC14
I5 4670
MSI x97 gaming 5
Samsung 225GB SSD
16GB ram

Soldato
Cheers, I love it :)

Its in a stuffy room but with all my case fans on full, 1150 core and 1600 memory I get max of 73c at 65% fan speed.

The system is still relatively quiet, to me anyway.

Back
Top Bottom