• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Caporegime
but I don't want it at 100%!

Found it, didnt realise it was under the AMD Overdrive bit of the CCC!

I've just set the target temp to 80c and the fan speed to 65% max. Going to try Crysis 3 :D

Do as Fogo said, We're reference masters. Set target temp to whatever temp you want. I'd recommend 86c at a minimum and set max fan speed to 100%. The higher you have the target temp, the quieter the fan speed will be. If you set 100% fan speed (it will never get near 100% though, don;t worry) then the card will use just enough fan speed to maintain the target temp. The reference cooler dissipates heat best at 94c believe it or not.

Soldato
Aslo make sure its in Uber mode.

Have a play with the fan speed (start at about 50%) until you find a speed it won't throttle.

As Humbug said don't forget to put it in uber mode.

Stock 290's don't have a Quiet/Uber mode - the BIOS switch simply swaps between two identical BIOSes with the same fan speed limits. It was the 290X's that came with Uber BIOSes. :(

Isn't the pro card around 47% or so for non throttling? From what i read on hardocp anyway.

The default maximum fan speed was raised to 47% around launch time to try to limit/stop throttling, but what fan speed a particular card will need to not throttle depends a lot on the card, the case setup and airflow, and the load it's under. My stock cards needed 45% fan to maintain full core/memory speeds on Titanfall, 50% on some other games, and up to 60% in demanding games (Sleeping Dogs, Sniper Elite V2, Crysis 3, etc).

Soldato
Do as Fogo said, We're reference masters. Set target temp to whatever temp you want. I'd recommend 86c at a minimum and set max fan speed to 100%. The higher you have the target temp, the quieter the fan speed will be. If you set 100% fan speed (it will never get near 100% though, don;t worry) then the card will use just enough fan speed to maintain the target temp. The reference cooler dissipates heat best at 94c believe it or not.

Just made the adjustments now and will try another game to see how it goes. I did notice that it was quieter when no throttling at 94c than when I set my target temp as 80c. Strange as you'd expect it to be the other way round.

Do I need to shut down before switching BIOS? Never really done it before.

Caporegime
Just made the adjustments now and will try another game to see how it goes. I did notice that it was quieter when no throttling at 94c than when I set my target temp as 80c. Strange as you'd expect it to be the other way round.

Do I need to shut down before switching BIOS? Never really done it before.

Why are you switching the bios? :confused: Use the stock reference bios. :) I recommend temp target between 86-94C and max fan speed 100%. Lower the temp target if you wish, but the higher the temp target the quieter the gpu will operate.

I'd recommend putting some quality paste on the core as well. Stock paste is crap.

Or you can try an LT crossfire special and use the custom fan profile i use in afterburner. Word of warning though, I'm doing a Nvidia and putting a patent on it. ;)

LT Approved Fan Profile

XACqPlt.jpg

This may be too noisy for you, as it revs up quickly with temp where as auto fan only kicks in shortly before the temp target is reached. If you don't mind noise though, then this will keep your card in the 80C ish range.

Soldato
Someone mention UBER, but if the card doesn't have it, I wont be switching the BIOS. I've got the target temp at 86c and the fan at 100% and its not that bad to be fair. I cannot hear it through my headphones like I could when I had my TF III.

Going back to your recommendation of reducing the volts, is this done through CCC or AB?

Caporegime
Someone mention UBER, but if the card doesn't have it, I wont be switching the BIOS. I've got the target temp at 86c and the fan at 100% and its not that bad to be fair. I cannot hear it through my headphones like I could when I had my TF III.

Going back to your recommendation of reducing the volts, is this done through CCC or AB?

Done through afterburner. If you're going to run stock clocks i recommend trying -0.031v first, then -0.037v and lower. If that passes a couple of hours of game stable, then try lowering AUX voltage, as that helps core temps too. Try -0.050v first, if that works then go to -0.100mv on AUX. Do not attempt to overclock the memory if you lower AUX. It will give you a black screen. Do not apply overclock at startup until you're 100% sure it's lifetime stable. If you apply a faulty overclock on afterburner boot you could get repeating black screens. Fixable by booting into low vga mode and quickly click reset clocks in afterburner.

t9piM3T.jpg

HC7VbZm.jpg

Black sceeen = more core voltage
Flickering while browsing or at desktop = more core voltage

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom