• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Caporegime
My experience with the AMD R9 290 summed up in one photo:

img_plain_blackL.jpg

RMA.

Mobster
Soldato
As long as you have something that gives decent performance to start with the processor really doesn't matter too much.

Here are graphics scores in Firestrike with my 290X at stock running on my i5 760 and also on a new i7 4770K.

11,263 - i5 760 Stock
11,366 - i5 760 4.0Ghz
11,429 - i7 4770K Stock
11,525 - i7 4770K 4.0Ghz

So from a stock i5 760 to an i7 4770K at 4.0Ghz results in just over 2% increase in graphics score.

Rofl.

Once AGAIN. Apache spoke too soon.

Associate
So guys, I took my headphones off, and realised my gpu (well, the sound is loudest when my ear is near to the gpu). There is a light buzzing in a pattern that goes 7 secs buzzing, 5 secs silence, 7 secs buzzing, 5 secs silence etc. It is starting to annoy me now that I have noticed it, but the only reason I haven't is my headphones. So, is this the psu? Or the GPU? And what do you think I should do next?

EDIT: If I sort of push down or up on the pcb/the front of the cooler, then the noise either fades or disappears.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all

I built a new PC a few days ago and put in an R9 290 (non x ;) )

I have been using a HDMI cable for a few days but my display port cable arrived today so I got it all connected and set my monitor up for 1080P @ 144Hz. (monitor is a Benq 2420T)

Anyway I booted up my favourite game - Tribes Ascend - and noticed a buzzing sound coming from the rear of my GPU. Additionally my display port cable is getting very warm where it plugs into the back of the GPU.

GPU temps seem stable @ 90c, but I am a little concerned that the cable getting so warm is not normal, and also the buzzing sound was not happening when I was using the HDMI cable.

Anyone else experienced this kind of thing?

Cheers

Buff

Mobster
Soldato
Hi all

I built a new PC a few days ago and put in an R9 290 (non x ;) )

I have been using a HDMI cable for a few days but my display port cable arrived today so I got it all connected and set my monitor up for 1080P @ 144Hz. (monitor is a Benq 2420T)

Anyway I booted up my favourite game - Tribes Ascend - and noticed a buzzing sound coming from the rear of my GPU. Additionally my display port cable is getting very warm where it plugs into the back of the GPU.

GPU temps seem stable @ 90c, but I am a little concerned that the cable getting so warm is not normal, and also the buzzing sound was not happening when I was using the HDMI cable.

Anyone else experienced this kind of thing?

Cheers

Buff

Its coilwhine, if you're running with vsync on when using the HDMI then the card wouldnt coilwhine because of the low FPS. Some cards coilwhine at a certain fps (usually high FPS) some coil whine under certain loads. Its weird. Mine coilwhine all the time, even when moving the mouse on desktop. Its not harmfull for the card. Just ignore it.

Soldato
Its coilwhine, if you're running with vsync on when using the HDMI then the card wouldnt coilwhine because of the low FPS. Some cards coilwhine at a certain fps (usually high FPS) some coil whine under certain loads. Its weird. Mine coilwhine all the time, even when moving the mouse on desktop. Its not harmfull for the card. Just ignore it.

Never heard of coil whine before! Thanks for the heads up.

What about the display port cable getting very warm where it plugs into the GPU? Is that also normal?

Cheers

Soldato
also, put your screen hz down a notch to 120hz. AMD isnt actually designed to run 144.

OK, thanks for the advice. :)

Is it UNCOMFORTABLE to touch?

No - its not that hot, just very, very warm (as it the metal back plate of the GPU).

Is it that 90c air blowing out the back plate of the card straight onto the cable?

Heh, no :) Well, I hope not with 3 exhaust fans sucking the hot air away :)

Associate
hello guys, im thinking about buying the MSI 290, has anyone got the msi version and how is the 290 overall as im a little put off due to all the black screen errors ive been hearing about. Also is it worth waiting for the custom cooled 290's or going with a 780 as it seems like a better built card overall.

Mobster
Soldato
hello guys, im thinking about buying the MSI 290, has anyone got the msi version and how is the 290 overall as im a little put off due to all the black screen errors ive been hearing about. Also is it worth waiting for the custom cooled 290's or going with a 780 as it seems like a better built card overall.

780 ~ 290 at stock. When you start overclocking the 290 pulls away.

Back
Top Bottom