• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RYZEN 5 aka ZEN NOW IN STOCK, GET YA WALLETS OUT!!!

qmv3fjDc7O3IDMeJMOnibpiu3g7Z4oA5LRWXy5Myq70.png

A good example of how benchmarks can be very inaccurate for CPU results. It'd be very easy just to show the nvidia benchmark and declare the i5 as much better for gaming.

(edit meant to post this in the general thread)

I think we can look back at this in a few years and say this was the end of 4c4t i5's

:D

I said this already in another way in an other thread. My words where something like "Gone are the days that the gamers choice is an i5 CPU" I was referring to the fact that recent AAA titles are recommending CPU's with 8 threads.

i5 is no a work station CPU. :p

Guys to help you out a little:

1600X is fastest out the box, boost to 3.9-4.0GHz and will even do this in a lower cost mainboard like B350, so for a little more outlay on CPU, you can save big time on motherboard.
1600 is essentially identical to 1600X, but it is 65W vs 95W which gives it a thermal edge and sometimes overclocking edge as well, but to get best OC results you need a 370 mainboard.

Of course to get the best performance from the CPU's you need the memory running around 3000MHz, even 3200MHz if possible and the 370 mainboards offer much better memory overclocking ability at the moment compared to 350. :)

I'd personally buy a 1600 or 1700 + CH6 and a 3000/3200 memory kit. This is what I'd personally buy and yes I would now buy AMD over Intel, I simply see Ryzen as the far more future proof CPU and the Ryzen CPU also makes games appear smoother irrelevant of what the FPS score is showing and smoothness is everything.

For me the perfect solution is:
R5 1600 + RX 480 (580 soon if rumours to be true ;) ) + 8G/16G 3000MHz RAM + 370 series mainboard. For the money especially with a FREESYNC monitor you get a totally awesome gaming experience.

Hi Gibbo, can you tell us how close AMD CPU's sales are to Intel CPU's sales? Is it a lot closer now or are Intel still quite a bit ahead or have AMD caught up and overtaken them in the last month or so? I'm really curious to know what the Ryzen effect has been on the on the sharp end.

:D

I said this already in another way in an other thread. My words where something like "Gone are the days that the gamers choice is an i5 CPU" I was referring to the fact that recent AAA titles are recommending CPU's with 8 threads.

i5 is no a work station CPU. :p

I love all this drama lol. Its been stagnant for too long. I remember the core2duo days and I was scouring forums for hours looking at peoples own experiences etc I'm now doing the same. I need to grow up :)

A good example of how benchmarks can be very inaccurate for CPU results. It'd be very easy just to show the nvidia benchmark and declare the i5 as much better for gaming.

Its about time nvidia acknowledged this and started to get the ball rolling to fix it.
Completely agree about your statement about benchmarks being inaccurate.

I don't personally believe that. Nor would I believe it from someone employed by a large retailer. The above post indicates the opposite of what I'm saying in that the 1600 might overclock better and have the thermal edge over the 1600x. If they are identical, why is this if they aren't binned. The only logical explanation is that they aren't identical, just very similar in performance.

We were right on 1700 vs 1700X and 1800X and we recommended the cheapest, we are just honest and truthful. Unlike other retailers we are here to try and help the consumer, not just take their money. But hey ho that is why so many people shop with OcUK because we try to be honest and truthful.

Ryzen 7, the 1700 is the best value! We said this since the start and it has now being proved to be correct.
Ryzen 5, the 1600 is better value than 1600X if your happy to OC, and I am sure the market will agree with us on that in coming days. :)

I don't personally believe that. Nor would I believe it from someone employed by a large retailer. The above post indicates the opposite of what I'm saying in that the 1600 might overclock better and have the thermal edge over the 1600x. If they are identical, why is this if they aren't binned. The only logical explanation is that they aren't identical, just very similar in performance.

To be honest gibbo was right on the money with the 1700. I see no reason why he would make something up about the 1600.

To be honest gibbo was right on the money with the 1700. I see no reason why he would make something up about the 1600.

Correct but 1600 vs 1600X is not such big issue as the price difference is only £30 and no CPU cooler. Difference with 1700 vs 1800X was like £150, so it is more important and I told customers to buy the cheaper CPU, when we stock and sell all the models. Trust me by doing so I did not win any friends at AMD, but again we share true data and the results we got. :)

We were right on 1700 vs 1700X and 1800X and we recommended the cheapest, we are just honest and truthful. Unlike other retailers we are here to try and help the consumer, not just take their money. But hey ho that is why so many people shop with OcUK because we try to be honest and truthful.

Ryzen 7, the 1700 is the best value! We said this since the start and it has now being proved to be correct.
Ryzen 5, the 1600 is better value than 1600X if your happy to OC, and I am sure the market will agree with us on that in coming days. :)

I agree with you on the value side, there is no disputing this with either 7 or 5, however, I don't believe the chips are identical. Not indicating some hidden agenda here, my 1080 was from ocuk. If you want the best chance of having a good chip even if only marginal gains when it comes to overclocking, there will be a winner. Currently, some believe this to be the x models, some the none x models and others say it's a lottery. Personally I believe it's one of the former and likely the x chips.

Yeah this is pretty damning of Nvidia's driver.

Hope they will acknowledge it and fix it.

Still not sure if this will suffice for streaming? The only video i saw on it showed that all cores on the r5 had some room spare, but were still above 90% each.

Back
Top Bottom