• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD RYZEN 5 aka ZEN NOW IN STOCK, GET YA WALLETS OUT!!!

I have a 1700. It is the first processor in 25 years that I have not had an immediate desire to overclock. I have done so obviously, but I have currently reverted to stock as it performs workloads seamlessly and quietly with the stock cooling.

I will await more maturity on boards having already flashed three bios revisions. However I recommend it (or the 6c/12t for someone upgrading from i5.

Chips like the 1600X, 1700X etc have XFR which is extended range frequency. It means that with adequate cooling the chip will automatically overclock itself.

Bare in mind that this usually only gives a 100-200MHz increase. If you are after a serious overclock it doesn't really need to be an X chip. It's more of a bonus feature really.

Great, looks like I will aim for the 1700 then and hope it clocks well.

Looks like I'll be spoilt for choice when I eventually upgrade my 2500K. I seem to know a lot of people in a similar boat so I think Gibbo is going to have a very good 2017/18.

Looks like I'll be spoilt for choice when I eventually upgrade my 2500K. I seem to know a lot of people in a similar boat so I think Gibbo is going to have a very good 2017/18.
Indeed this is a fantastic time to buy a CPU. There will always be people saying let's wait for the next this or the next that but it's been rarely worth it with miniscule improvements.

any word yet on how well the 1600 non X is overclocking ? be very happy if it can hit 4ghz, first post :eek:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ryzen-5-review-thread.18775905/#post-30692319

According to Gibbo, the X and non are basically even. 4ghz maybe not guaranteed, but no worse a chance with the cheap option than with the expensive.

Looks like the only difference is that the X does that funny thing with reporting itself being hotter than it is. That or its actually the worse of the two parts and AMD is playing mind games to find out who the real enthusiasts are :rolleyes:

Just wondering
How 'huge' is the Success of Ryzen ?
For me anyway, there are no more reason available to buy an Intel CPU (except, maybe, the very LOW END Dual Core KabyLake)

Just wondering
How 'huge' is the Success of Ryzen ?
For me anyway, there are no more reason available to buy an Intel CPU (except, maybe, the very LOW END Dual Core KabyLake)
Well yeah, the cheapest R5 is still £170 so there's still room for the Pentium G4560, for example. Also AMD have no Ryzen CPUs out yet with IGPs, and won't for many months.

What would you guys choose second hand 6800k/5820k or new 1600/1600X?
Depends on the price of the former obviously.

1600 would be my choice. Purely for the upgrade path. Whats after the 6800k thats worth upgrading to? A 6900k @ £1000 yeah no thank you

This ^^

I see a 1600 as a modest-to-good upgrade over my 2500k depending on whether it's doing single or multi threaded tasks; but the ability to drop Zen+ into the system in a year or so makes me very happy :) I'm sure AMD will be looking to get those clocks (or IPC) up to compete properly with Intel in limited-thread scenarios, and I think the next gen of 8-cores could well be an all around stunner.

As long as AMD continue AM4, the path they've currently set with the quad core and hex core pricing is incredible.
Get some entry level products in place and AMD are ruling the roost IMO.
Raven Ridge will be really interesting. I wonder if there'll be any 2-3 core versions or if they'll just go for 4 cores. We also don't know if SMT will be disabled in some SKUs (it isn't for any Summit Ridge parts). Another reason why it'll be interesting is that Coffee Lake is due out around the same time as Cannonlake, which is the 10 nm shrink of Kaby Lake, so there'll be some direct competition in the mobile market there.

Bye bye 5820k......

5820k (or 6800k etc) are not worth buying new at their current pricing for most people but no ryzen chip offers an worth while upgrade from my 5820k@ 4.5Ghz which I have had for over 2 years now and which cost me quite a bit under £300 pre the £/$ diving!

so for those of us that have been enjoying our intel based x99 setups for some time now its not bye bye just yet...

5820k (or 6800k etc) are not worth buying new at their current pricing for most people but no ryzen chip offers an worth while upgrade from my 5820k@ 4.5Ghz which I have had for over 2 years now and which cost me quite a bit under £300 pre the £/$ diving!

so for those of us that have been enjoying our intel based x99 setups for some time now its not bye bye just yet...

I'll change it to bye bye intel 6 core chips that are still on the shelves then :p

Back
Top Bottom