• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

Associate
Final tune for my use case: 80% VR simracing. 20% normal gaming.

RAM Info: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-001-8p.html Except I paid 110 way before lockdown. Currently it's well overpriced and I'd recommend a cheaper bdie kit. Also, I'd recommend Dual Rank (2x16) instead of single rank (2x8). I could easily get more performance out of the rig just by having everything the same but having Dual Rank mem instead

Stability tests: Y-Cruncher 2.5b, TM5 Anta Extreme. occt large/avx2. AMD CoreCycler. About 5-6hrs cumulative testing of the final tune using those platforms.

Key bios voltages:
IMG_2895.jpg

Timings and system info:
unknown.png

Additional Bios Changes:

- DF c-states disabled
- LLC level 1
- TSME Disabled

General musings:
- While it looks cool in screenshots, I found no appreciable gains from going to IF 1933/Mem 3866 outside of needing more voltages. If was platform wasn't so power capped, then yes but having to trade power budget between cores and soc, you're just moving things around
- Dual rank would easily add more FPS to the existing tune. Way more than a fabric bump to 1933. That's the only thing this setup is 'missing'
- Coming from Intel, this platform is very sensitive to everything. Intel platforms are abuseable tanks and you can play with them more freely. However, you need to know a lot more to get the max out of them
- For casuals, AMD is pretty much good to go out of the box and should be the better plug n play option
- Having said that, there are a lot of little traps in the AMD platform when tuning for max performance due to the aggressive power down goals native to the platform. You can easily be stable in stress tests and then have stuttering, crashes, reboots, etc. Most of this is down to how voltages behave in relation to their power down characteristics. You should research the platform extensively before tuning
- I'm hopeful AMD at some points open up the doors to OC'ing the x3d platform as it's painfully limited by power draw in it's current state. You have plenty of voltage headroom. It's just TDP hard ceiling you run into everywhere. I'd happily trade warranty for more TDP headroom
- While I used BCLK heavily to tune my 12600k setup, I personally would not touch BCLK on a platform that's not de-coupled
- This will be set and forget until MTL arrives and then handed down to a family member. I'll report any issue I find along the way but I don't foresee any related to the tune above

Soldato
Final tune for my use case: 80% VR simracing. 20% normal gaming.

RAM Info: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-001-8p.html Except I paid 110 way before lockdown. Currently it's well overpriced and I'd recommend a cheaper bdie kit. Also, I'd recommend Dual Rank (2x16) instead of single rank (2x8). I could easily get more performance out of the rig just by having everything the same but having Dual Rank mem instead

Stability tests: Y-Cruncher 2.5b, TM5 Anta Extreme. occt large/avx2. AMD CoreCycler. About 5-6hrs cumulative testing of the final tune using those platforms.

Key bios voltages:
IMG_2895.jpg

Timings and system info:
unknown.png

Additional Bios Changes:

- DF c-states disabled
- LLC level 1
- TSME Disabled

General musings:
- While it looks cool in screenshots, I found no appreciable gains from going to IF 1933/Mem 3866 outside of needing more voltages. If was platform wasn't so power capped, then yes but having to trade power budget between cores and soc, you're just moving things around
- Dual rank would easily add more FPS to the existing tune. Way more than a fabric bump to 1933. That's the only thing this setup is 'missing'
- Coming from Intel, this platform is very sensitive to everything. Intel platforms are abuseable tanks and you can play with them more freely. However, you need to know a lot more to get the max out of them
- For casuals, AMD is pretty much good to go out of the box and should be the better plug n play option
- Having said that, there are a lot of little traps in the AMD platform when tuning for max performance due to the aggressive power down goals native to the platform. You can easily be stable in stress tests and then have stuttering, crashes, reboots, etc. Most of this is down to how voltages behave in relation to their power down characteristics. You should research the platform extensively before tuning
- I'm hopeful AMD at some points open up the doors to OC'ing the x3d platform as it's painfully limited by power draw in it's current state. You have plenty of voltage headroom. It's just TDP hard ceiling you run into everywhere. I'd happily trade warranty for more TDP headroom
- While I used BCLK heavily to tune my 12600k setup, I personally would not touch BCLK on a platform that's not de-coupled
- This will be set and forget until MTL arrives and then handed down to a family member. I'll report any issue I find along the way but I don't foresee any related to the tune above
Do you think the CPU would really lose any significant performance in games by running the RAM at 3200MHz and IF at 1600MHz, wouldn't this give the CPU even more of the power budget to play with?

Associate
Do you think the CPU would really lose any significant performance in games by running the RAM at 3200MHz and IF at 1600MHz, wouldn't this give the CPU even more of the power budget to play with?

At some point you'll hit diminishing returns to where you're leaving performance on that table.

Let's say I could use the same voltages above for 3200mhz and 3733mhz. At that point, I'm just leaving perf on the table as the power draw is going to immaterial since voltages are the same. Power draw = voltage x current. So I might get a small current bump but it won't be enough to where the cores can make up for the lack of IF/mem performance. Hope that makes sense.

Soldato
This is glorious. 5800X3D description on Userbenchmark, cheers Reddit :cry:

The 5800X3D has the same core architecture / IPC as the 5800X but it runs at lower clock speeds and has an extra 64MB of cache (96MB up from 32MB). This results in relatively low latency at 128MB because those transfers have a higher chance of remaining in cache. An unusually high proportion of the early 5800X3D samples appear unable to boost above base clock, upcoming BIOS updates will likely fix this. Either way, for most real-world tasks performance is comparable to the significantly cheaper 5800X. Some specific cache sensitive scenarios such as canned game benchmarks with a 3090-Ti will benefit. Be wary of sponsored reviews with cherry picked games that showcase the wins and ignore the losses. Also watch out for AMD’s army of Neanderthal social media accounts on reddit, forums and youtube, they will be singing their own praises as usual. AMD’s marketers continue to show more interest in this year’s bonuses than the longevity of the brand. Instead of focusing on real-world performance, they attempt to dupe consumers with benchmark busting headlines. The same tactics were used with the Radeon 5000 series GPUs. In order to compete, Zen4 needs to bring substantial IPC improvements, rather than overpriced "3D" marketing gimmicks. New high end PC gaming builders have little reason to look further than the 12600K. Users with an existing AM4 build should wait a few more months for better performance with Raptor Lake or even Zen4 rather than wasting money on an end-of-life platform. [Mar '22 CPUPro]

Soldato
It’s varies from game to game, but generally over a broad selection of games it hurts more than it helps to disable SMT. However there are some games where it helps, especially at lower resolutions/settings.
Useful to know, thanks. I can't test anything myself until I get my potato GPU upgraded. Hoping the 7700XT will be competitive/sensible price.

Associate
3dcache will have bright future, because of that massive cache cpu doesn't need 5ghz+ clock to beat competition, and that decrease power consumption significantly despite that additional cache actually increase power consumption, but overclocking past 5ghz increase much more while still can't beat cache, + you can have budget RAM stick and work at 95%+ speed. Can't wait to see Zen 4 3dcache version, it should beat RPL easy while consuming much less power because RPL on the same node and extra clock will be disaster when it comes to power consumption, even ADL is known for inffeciency.

Soldato
3dcache will have bright future, because of that massive cache cpu doesn't need 5ghz+ clock to beat competition, and that decrease power consumption significantly despite that additional cache actually increase power consumption, but overclocking past 5ghz increase much more while still can't beat cache, + you can have budget RAM stick and work at 95%+ speed. Can't wait to see Zen 4 3dcache version, it should beat RPL easy while consuming much less power because RPL on the same node and extra clock will be disaster when it comes to power consumption, even ADL is known for inffeciency.
Yes, I already have pretty fast RAM but with a 5800X3D, PCIE4 capable motherboard and just keeping the GPU up-to-date I should be good for quite a few years now.

Back
Top Bottom