• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

Associate
Probably a silly question but is there any way to keep the clocks pegged at their boost without dropping down a few hundred MHz ? At my native res of 3840x1600 the clocks go as low as 2GHz sometimes.

On Intel you can force it but on AMD the clocks seem to go up and down pretty randomly which does make a difference to performance, Especially in game benchmarks.

In games for example on a 12900K I can see all cores stuck at 4.90GHz, With the 5800X3D in the same game, Division 2 in this instance, Maybe 1 or 2 cores will boost to around 4.45GHz and the rest will be under 4GHz.

In short, no. AMD relies on their boost algo for max performance. The platform is very heat and current sensitive thus you’re seeing frequencies always bouncing around. This is even more obvious if you attention to effective clocks in hwinfo instead of advertised clocks.

To get the boost to work right you need to let the chip downclock via cstates at it’s discretion. This changes the power draw, thus lowering temps and giving boost more budget to play with.

On intel, you have to control the frequencies yourself for optimal performance and tune a package that’s peak performance for your chip.

So taking the above to your division 2 example, AMD is downclocking the cores aggressively when not in use by the game.

12900k has an all core floor of 4.9 going off memory if you have something like mce enabled, running fixed voltage, windows high performance and it’ll never go below that floor unless it throttles. But even here you are looking at advertised frequency. It’s effective clocks will be lower. The difference is that the intel cores don’t have to “wake up” when needed and are ready for the additional load.

Each approach is different and you can’t interchange them if you want max performance from either platform. Moral of the story, effective clocks is what matter. Even more so on AMD when clock stretching is easy to have even with the mildest of tuning.

Associate
The Kombo Strike I think is using CO profiles, which would explain the voltage differences.
Steve should really know that.
I suspect Steve's just gone off of what little info he was able to glean from MSI - I also suspect he's been too busy to see how 5800X3D users have been attempting to tweak the X3D's performance (although it would've been nice to have a direct comparison with the PBO2 Tuner method).

The results of Kombo Strike actually aren't all that good - I was able to get better temps and sustained clocks using PBO2 Tuner so I don't think MSI is doing exactly the same thing.

Soldato
I suspect Steve's just gone off of what little info he was able to glean from MSI - I also suspect he's been too busy to see how 5800X3D users have been attempting to tweak the X3D's performance (although it would've been nice to have a direct comparison with the PBO2 Tuner method).

The results of Kombo Strike actually aren't all that good - I was able to get better temps and sustained clocks using PBO2 Tuner so I don't think MSI is doing exactly the same thing.
Msi's solution is just a one size fits all which never going to be as good as someone who puts the time in tune their own individual chip.

Permabanned
I'm looking for a CPU on the AM4 socket that will be future proofed for the new generation of GPU's, I exclusively game on my system 99% of the time - is this the one to go for please? I've read reviews etc but as they're from a couple of months ago I want to make sure that is the current line of thinking before I take the plunge, thank you :)

Soldato
I'm looking for a CPU on the AM4 socket that will be future proofed for the new generation of GPU's, I exclusively game on my system 99% of the time - is this the one to go for please? I've read reviews etc but as they're from a couple of months ago I want to make sure that is the current line of thinking before I take the plunge, thank you :)
If you want to stay on AM4 and run it for a while and do mostly gaming this is a great choice. Much faster than competing CPU's in a lot of games and not much in it in others. All whilst consuming modest amounts of power. I intend to keep mine until at least Zen 5 and for the next 2-3 generations of GPU's.

Soldato
Hard to say. In a week they might release another chip that works on AM4 that's better for a little more or a little less...who knows.

Good chip though. Today.

Last edited:
Associate

Yes, it is the best gaming chip for AM4.

Associate
Hard to say. In a week they might release another chip that works on AM4 that's better for a little more or a little less...who knows.

Good chip though. Today.
What chip could they have ready to release next week better then 5800x3d for gaming?

Associate
Any information about new chips for AM4 is purely speculation at this point. It all depends on how expensive the new am5 platform is.

Soldato
I've just been watching it, in the right circumstances the uplift is massive. I'm only running a 3060Ti right now but it shows there is plenty left in the tank for a few more GPU upgrades. I want to see what the results are with a 7800XT or 4080.

Caporegime
For those with a mid to high end GPU and considering a upgrade to a 5800X3D, have a look at this.

Its really not that difficult to understand Steve.

Most of the people asking for this type of review will have spent £500 on a 3600 platform, they will have DDR4 and something like a B450 Motherboard, people who do this usually hang on to that platform for at least 3 years, that platform is now 3 years old so some of them are now looking for the next 3 / 4 year platform and they are looking at how fast high end GPU's are now thinking that's where the next generation will probably land in the mid range, RTX 4060 / RX 7600XT.

So they are asking you how much faster the 5800X3D is with an RTX 3080 / 6800XT type GPU because they know the 5800X3D can be dropped in to their existing platform, so they are not spending any more, perhaps even a bit less than they would at this point anyway and they know its good enough to drive the RTX 4060 they intend to get later this year.

AMD know exactly what they are doing, people already have the Motherboard and the RAM, all people need is the CPU, and its too dammed fast to resist, even people who wouldn't normally buy such high end CPU's love the fact that its the fastest gaming CPU money can buy right now and they can afford it. You better believe they want it. They like the good stuff just as much as the next guy and now its in reach to those who something like this normally wouldn't be.

Associate
That will be ultimate AMD weapon with AM5, if Intel pushes them they can offer same longevity as AM4, and even better because AM5 is much more ready from the first generation of motherboards, they have good feedback from AM4, so if i have to choose between new platform and keeping same while having similar or even little less performancde, i would stick to the same platform.

Back
Top Bottom