• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D Cache Eight Core 4.5GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail - Go Go Go xD

Associate
Most of the people asking for this type of review will have spent £500 on a 3600 platform, they will have DDR4 and something like a B450 Motherboard, people who do this usually hang on to that platform for at least 3 years
So they are asking you how much faster the 5800X3D is with an RTX 3080 / 6800XT type GPU because they know the 5800X3D can be dropped in to their existing platform, so they are not spending any more, perhaps even a bit less than they would at this point anyway

I feel called out ;)

It's exactly why I'm looking at this chip. It would allow me to keep this AM4 (b450 mortar max) system until well into the AM5 life cycle. The 3600X I'm using currently runs everything reasonable well so I can't justify to myself spending the money on a full new system; even if I want a new system. The 5800X3D gives that worthwhile large jump in performance.

Soldato
I'm finding my chip is running hot 80°C+ in Star Citizen, 240mm EK AIO. What temperatures is everyone else getting? Trying to work out if I need to change some BIOS settings or get a 360mm cooler.

Edit: Cinebench multicore 81.9°C and single core 58°C. All temps HWINFO CPU(Tctl/Tdie)

Edit 2: Found this:
Heat and power are also non-concerning issues since the Ryzen 7 5800X3D is known to hit 80 degrees to 85 degrees Celsius under all-core workloads due to the additional 3D V-Cache hindering heat transfer from the die to the IHS. So these temperatures are very average and safe for this chip.

The CPU is also heavily influenced by a locked 1.35V voltage limit only found on the Ryzen 7 5800X3D (compared to 1.5V on a regular Ryzen 5000 chip.) As a result, Precision Boost can't achieve higher boost frequencies at 80 degrees Celsius than if CPU temps are much lower. It is also why the Ryzen 7 5800X3D pulls less power than the Ryzen 7 5800X despite its higher thermals

Edit 3: The consensus seems to be they run hot, and past a certain point they can't lose the heat quickly enough, so a better cooling solution doesn't help much.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm finding my chip is running hot 80°C+ in Star Citizen, 240mm EK AIO. What temperatures is everyone else getting? Trying to work out if I need to change some BIOS settings or get a 360mm cooler.

Edit: Cinebench multicore 81.9°C and single core 58°C. All temps HWINFO CPU(Tctl/Tdie)

Heat and power are also non-concerning issues since the Ryzen 7 5800X3D is known to hit 80 degrees to 85 degrees Celsius under all-core workloads due to the additional 3D V-Cache hindering heat transfer from the die to the IHS. So these temperatures are very average and safe for this chip.

The CPU is also heavily influenced by a locked 1.35V voltage limit only found on the Ryzen 7 5800X3D (compared to 1.5V on a regular Ryzen 5000 chip.) As a result, Precision Boost can't achieve higher boost frequencies at 80 degrees Celsius than if CPU temps are much lower. It is also why the Ryzen 7 5800X3D pulls less power than the Ryzen 7 5800X despite its higher thermals

Edit 3: The consensus seems to be they run hot, and past a certain point they can't lose the heat quickly enough, so a better cooling solution doesn't help much.

To be fair, 82c peak is still alright.
Are you running PBO2 Tuner with a CO profile?

Caporegime
This is what the X3D looks like.

See the cache sitting on top of the centre of the CPU, and the structural silicon over the cores, this is maybe why it runs hotter.

I guess its just one of those things you have to chalk up as normal, it doesn't feel nice running 80c in a game, all be it one that pushes the CPU harder than most, and knowing that at least you can move on. :)

tYk8T1f.jpg

Associate
Intel can't beat AMD even with discounted prices from the first day and completely new hardware, while AMD had full year with premium prices and extra margin, and still beat Comedy Lake and Rocket Lake in sales, and high prices of Zen 3 dind't slow down sales so they got benefits of quantity of sales and profit from each sales, no wonder AMD had record breaking year, Patrick Gelsinger is unhappy: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/amd-r...seller-175-intel-core-i5-12400f-drops-to-150/

Soldato
Having CPU as drop in upgrade goes a long way, even if Intel is slightly better having to get new board just jacks the price way up on upgrading.

Hopefully with AM5 they will continue and have stricter conditions on BIOS size so that wont be an issue either.

Associate
Having CPU as drop in upgrade goes a long way, even if Intel is slightly better having to get new board just jacks the price way up on upgrading.

Hopefully with AM5 they will continue and have stricter conditions on BIOS size so that wont be an issue either.
I'm pretty sure they learned from feedback of AM4 so first generation AM5 boards won't have problems like BIOS size in the future, x300 was released in the era when AMD were still gaining reputation and motherboard manufacturers dind't invest heavily into AMD platforms, thigs are very different today and x600 is looking very powerful.

Soldato
Who would get a new motherboard, CPU and RAM and not do a clean install?

Windows thing then still? :confused:

Yeah, especially on windows, clean install is recommended, new registriy, no leftovers etc, and when we talk about couple of basic components then clean install is a must.

Is that still an issue with windows? I thouight they'd vastly improved that sort of thing with =>win10 ?

Soldato
Windows thing then still? :confused:

Is that still an issue with windows? I thouight they'd vastly improved that sort of thing with =>win10 ?
:D

I went from 8700K->5800X, so mobo and CPU changed, without issue and that was Win10 at the time. It's like who swears by running DDU before every GPU driver update. I'd rather have my PC back up and running in minutes than spend days of getting things back to the way they were.

Soldato

I went from 8700K->5800X, so mobo and CPU changed, without issue and that was Win10 at the time. It's like who swears by running DDU before every GPU driver update. I'd rather have my PC back up and running in minutes than spend days of getting things back to the way they were.
The problem comes when random issues pop up and people blame drivers or certain hardware manufacturers etc. I don't think it's a coincidence that if you run stock, clean install and up-to-date drivers/BIOS/chipset that you get very few if any issues. The more variables you introduce the more chance of problems ;)

Soldato
The problem comes when random issues pop up and people blame drivers or certain hardware manufacturers etc. I don't think it's a coincidence that if you run stock, clean install and up-to-date drivers/BIOS/chipset that you get very few if any issues. The more variables you introduce the more chance of problems ;)
Aren't you introducing more variables if you are starting from scratch :confused:

Soldato
Aren't you introducing more variables if you are starting from scratch :confused:
Nope, you've got an operating system as intended. If you use an old one full of all sorts of carp who knows what mess is in there. No-one validates for that. Plenty of third party software has been shown to cause issues over the years. Less is more in this case ;)

Soldato
Nope, you've got an operating system as intended. If you use an old one full of all sorts of carp who knows what mess is in there. No-one validates for that. Plenty of third party software has been shown to cause issues over the years. Less is more in this case ;)
I just have to agree to disagree and know that I am correct :) When you think about it logically you will too :D

Soldato
I just ran it again and weirdly..... i have a 50Mhz CPU overclock, it doesn't make this much difference :D

Graphics Lowest: 184 FPS
Graphics Highest: 142 FPS

From Slide:
12700K: 156 FPS
12600K: 156 FPS
5800X: 152 FPS

V1XojGW.png

Ok so highest settings, its 100% GPU locked at this point, and the RTX 3070 is what, 35% faster? So the slide i posted is clearly CPU bound, i'll be interested to see what you get @Dicehunter

sGHDki1.png
Both of your slides are cpu bound. You can check the cpu game graph, thats exactly how much fps your cpu can get regardless of a cpu bottleneck. You can also check the gpu bound report, at low settings its sitting at 1%, at high settings its at 51%

Soldato

Your Cinebench temps are actually very good for a 5800X3D so I'd say that's normal.

Soldato
Windows is a crap, end of story, i hope linux will get popularity and support from developers so i can ditch windows forever.
Maybe with a proper desktop version of Steam OS. We need a big gaming company like Valve pushing it to really get the adoption and the support from the hardware and software companies.

Associate

I've seen a video where this was tested (sorry - couldn't find it - I did look) and the verdict was that switching platforms (i.e. intel -> AMD) and keeping the Windows install does hurt overall performance (it was around 4% in gaming if I recall correctly).

For some that's a small enough downgrade for it to not be worth the hassle of reinstalling Windows - personally I prefer to start afresh when radically changing hardware but there's no right or wrong answer here.

Back
Top Bottom