• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Soldato
I've installed the 1413 firmware for the Asus x670e Tuf, which is now out of beta.

No change in soc voltage (1.35) for my 7600x with EXPO enabled. I swapped the 7600x for a 7800x3d (which I had lying around waiting for new Asus firmware). Sure enough, with EXPO enabled, auto SOC limits to ~1.26 for this chip. I've manually set it to 1.2 myseld, and seems to be stable for my use.

The SOC limits seem to be applied to x3d chips only, or higher thresholds are allowed for non-x3d chips. The new bios is welcome, but for the time being I'm still going with manual SOC settings regardless of which chip varient I keep.

Last edited:
Associate
I've installed the 1413 firmware for the Asus x670e Tuf, which is now out of beta.

No change in soc voltage (1.35) for my 7600x with EXPO enabled. I swapped the 7600x for a 7800x3d (which I had lying around waiting for new Asus firmware). Sure enough, with EXPO enabled, auto SOC limits to ~1.26 for this chip. I've manually set it to 1.2 myseld, and seems to be stable for my use.

The SOC limits seem to be applied to x3d chips only, or higher thresholds are allowed for non-x3d chips. The new bios is welcome, but for the time being I'm still going with manual SOC settings regardless of which chip varient I keep.

I forgot to add on my post I have a 7600 and the soc dropped to 1.305v with EXPO.

Soldato
OP

AMD have released a new agesa to motherboard partners so you can expect another bios update in the next few days, this update that's come out for Asus boards now that's just come out of beta is still based on agesa 1.0.0.6

Associate
Associate
I forgot to add on my post I have a 7600 and the soc dropped to 1.305v with EXPO.
My 7600 WAS 1.241 on a 670e TUF gaming from day one, but I only have cheap 5600 memory for now. I've had expo turned off since this started breaking.

It does seem like the expo profiles were just pumping more Vs as you increased memory speeds without any testing if it was ever needed or safe.

Man of Honour
Ud think the memory training thing when u build the pcs with these parts in would figure the best values but safest values too.

But if the safest value is too high, as set by the BIOS then it wont achieve anything.

Listening to Buildzoid, the mobo doesn't have voltage limits built in - it just supplies what the cpu asks for, so if the CPU/BIOS says ' Yeh hit me with 2volts ' then it will.

Soldato
AMD have released a new agesa to motherboard partners so you can expect another bios update in the next few days, this update that's come out for Asus boards now that's just come out of beta is still based on agesa 1.0.0.6

Actually hugely appreciate that info. Might knock off Expo for the moment.

Soldato
Ud think the memory training thing when u build the pcs with these parts in would figure the best values but safest values too.

Doesn't seem like it's that smart. They probably just wang the volts to "maximum safe" then work out what they can do with that. Unfortunately that maximum safe value was a lie :(

Soldato
Default DDR5 is 4800mhz.
Ouch! That’s slower than DDR4 3600C18. That’s got to hurt! How long is AMD and board partnered gonna take to pull their fingers out to sort this out good and proper.

Shouldn’t have happened in the first instance let alone months after release.

Did AMD even bother to communicate with board partners or do their own testing??

Soldato
Ouch! That’s slower than DDR4 3600C18. That’s got to hurt! How long is AMD and board partnered gonna take to pull their fingers out to sort this out good and proper.

Shouldn’t have happened in the first instance let alone months after release.

Did AMD even bother to communicate with board partners or do their own testing??
You can also just set the voltages or clocks manually (or both), both of which will fix the issue :)

Back
Top Bottom