• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Soldato
The trouble with these bios fixes is they are all of the 3D cache chips, what about the X and non X chips, where's the fixes for those ? Because it's not just the 3D chips having the issues, it's the whole lineup.

I find it quite funny too how AMD are now saying max safe soc voltage was 1.4v, but now they've dropped it to 1.3v, well thanks AMD, but it's a bit late to tell the ones with dead chips that now then deny them a warranty replacement.
I don’t think AMD will deny anyone warranty replacement but motherboard manufacturers might not be as willing.

But even if warranty replacement is readily available then I would think it is an inconvenience at the least but really it is a massive balls up to push out products that can kill itself through no fault of the users.

Makes the 12VHPWR issue looks like child’s play. Also doesn’t help AMD was rubbing salt on that Nvidia issue and now they are reaping the rightful flak

Soldato
OP
I don’t think AMD will deny anyone warranty replacement but motherboard manufacturers might not be as willing.

But even if warranty replacement is readily available then I would think it is an inconvenience at the least but really it is a massive balls up to push out products that can kill itself through no fault of the users.

Makes the 12VHPWR issue looks like child’s play. Also doesn’t help AMD was rubbing salt on that Nvidia issue and now they are reaping the rightful flak
They are denying warranty replacements, because overclocking of anything in your system voids your warranty, this includes using expo on your ram which in turn bumps up the soc voltage and eventually kills the CPU, this is what's in the news everywhere, you've got it the wrong way around, Asus are replacing boards last I read, but amd are denying replacements, stating the warranty is void because expo ram overclocking was used.

Soldato
They are denying warranty replacements, because overclocking of anything in your system voids your warranty, this includes using expo on your ram which in turn bumps up the soc voltage and eventually kills the CPU, this is what's in the news everywhere, you've got it the wrong way around, Asus are replacing boards last I read, but amd are denying replacements, stating the warranty is void because expo ram overclocking was used.
I don’t think AMD can refuse to replace burned chips that used EXPO, they made a big thing of EXPO and 6000 been the sweet spot. Same for the main boards, big button on main BIOS screen to enable EXPO. If they do refuse, it will end up been a class action that will cost them a lot more.

Last edited:
Soldato
People said that AMD is not doing replacement? Is that what people speculating!

Soldato
Just got home opened up YouTube and lots of vids about this showing up, just watching the buildzoid one now. Looks like amd need to chime in now and do some damage control otherwise its gonna get out of hand

Soldato
they made a big thing of EXPO and 6000 been the sweet spot. Same for the main boards, big button on main BIOS screen to enable EXPO. If they do refuse, it will end up been a class action that will cost them a lot more.

I've been thinking this too. AMD have been recommending EXPO, benchmarks were typically done with it and some were re-done upon realisation of how much difference it makes, and it's been built into the boards as an easily-accessible feature. It would be like voiding the warranty on a car because it the engine blew up at 80mph, on the basis we shouldn't ever be going that fast in the first place.

Soldato
I don’t think AMD can refuse to replace burned chips that used EXPO, they made a big thing of EXPO and 6000 been the sweet spot. Same for the main boards, big button on main BIOS screen to enable EXPO. If they do refuse, it will end up been a class action that will cost them a lot more.

I agree, that’s the point I made before. It was literally sold as a feature, AMD made a big deal about it and at no point enabling it does it say in the BIOS ‘this will invalidate your warranty’.

Soldato
OP
@pc-guy From Reddit

Footnote in small print:

Overclocking and/or undervolting AMD processors and memory, including without limitation, altering clock frequencies / multipliers or memory timing / voltage, to operate outside of AMD’s published specifications will void any applicable AMD product warranty, even when enabled via AMD hardware and/or software

Last edited:
Soldato
It is quite an interesting problem, as people buy RAM based on the XMP or EXPO speeds, and it's generally accepted that you can 'just enable' XMP or EXPO.

RAM is even sold on the 'overclocked' speeds as headline advertised speeds...it's not really the fault of the RAM manufactures, as it will do the advertised speeds, but they obviously can't account for how capable/stable the system is that it's going to be installed into.

Soldato
Surely though with stuff like this, they have to prove the fault was with overclocking?

You just plead innocence and that's on them to work it out. Obviously not everyone will know it's 'warranty-void' material, but those savvy enough should be safe should the worst happen.

Oh how far we've fallen, I remember specifically buying 'overclocking insurance' directly from Intel for my 9900K, $20 and it covered replacement if it died from overclocks....

Associate
AMD have released a 2nd statement: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1883...yzen-7000x3d-burnout-issues-caps-soc-voltages

We have root caused the issue and have already distributed a new AGESA that puts measures in place on certain power rails on AM5 motherboards to prevent the CPU from operating beyond its specification limits, including a cap on SOC voltage at 1.3V. None of these changes affect the ability of our Ryzen 7000 Series processors to overclock memory using EXPO or XMP kits or boost performance using PBO technology. We expect all of our ODM partners to release new BIOS for their AM5 boards over the next few days. We recommend all users to check their motherboard manufacturers website and update their BIOS to ensure their system has the most up to date software for their processor. Anyone whose CPU may have been impacted by this issue should contact AMD customer support. Our customer service team is aware of the situation and prioritizing these cases.

Last edited:
Soldato
A bad design, poorly implemented with various standards of quality left in hands of unskilled workers.
Any design can be improved. Literally , any. Almost nothing is user proof. Weve seen actual literal fires with the old 6 and 8 pins. So even if you consider the 6 and 8pin good designs, users still managed to burn them, which is my point. Design had nothing to do with it, it was user error plain and simple. People have actively TRIED to reproduce the problem and they couldn't. That right there is proof of great design if you ask them.

Soldato
I don’t think it was, it’s just not a great design. Crimped pins for the win.

12vhpwr is solution looking for a problem and best avoided IMO.
Gamers nexus did an in depth video on it, did you not check that one?

But agree on it being a solution in search of a problem. Nothing wrong with the good old 8 pin connectors, tried and tested.

Soldato
Any design can be improved. Literally , any. Almost nothing is user proof. Weve seen actual literal fires with the old 6 and 8 pins. So even if you consider the 6 and 8pin good designs, users still managed to burn them, which is my point. Design had nothing to do with it, it was user error plain and simple. People have actively TRIED to reproduce the problem and they couldn't. That right there is proof of great design if you ask them.

As I said, a bad design poorly implemented and best avoided IMO.

12vhpwr requires a respin.

Soldato
Gamers nexus did an in depth video on it, did you not check that one?

But agree on it being a solution in search of a problem. Nothing wrong with the good old 8 pin connectors, tried and tested.

I’ve checked plenty of shoddy designs and workmanship. Crimped pins with a good tolerance on the conductor is just all round good practice, especially when with low voltage high current applications powering eye wateringly expensive bits of electronics.

Back
Top Bottom