• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU Burns Up

Associate
Were you in uproar about the 4090 connectors that didn't click into place properly and some burned up?
No I wasn’t as it clicked in fine for me and I tested it with thermal camera which confirmed there was no heat buildup.
In this case I know the motherboard was pushing excessive voltage to the cpu for almost a month.
With the connector it was user error and in this case it is not as the voltage was applied by the motherboard without any user input apart from enabling EXPO.
This is nowhere near the same thing.

Soldato
I thought the OCP accusation was only at Asus? I thought they said the OCP seemed to work on gigabyte hence why only the CPU died in that case.

The complaint at the other motherboards related to the shut off temperature being too high for the X3D chips.

I definitely think they all seemed to be flying too close to the sun with setting 1.35v and it's clear it can happen on any. However there's something to be said about Asus's shown value being so far off what it was supplying, and the fact it didn't trigger the OCP to shut itself off. It puts me off their boards a bit, not going to lie.

IIRC the Asus board sets the voltage higher than indicated. The others are pretty close or a little under.

The only reason I can see for the high voltage is to have a wider memory compatibility at overclocked speeds. I agree 1.35v seems too high for 5nm chips.

Caporegime
Ignore him ffs, wouldn't matter if the president of asus came out and said 'we ****** up', he'd still say its an amd issue.

Yeah. Some people want it to be AMD, i think.

I haven't watched the whole video yet so i don't know what Steve had to say about Gigabyte, i'll do that today.

But Reddit and places like it have been steadily filling up with people having inexplicable CPU problems, those people have been almost exclusively Asus users, JayZ2cents $600+ Asus motherboard killed one of his Ryzen 7950X3D CPU's as he was putting a video together with it.

So far at least i feel completely vindicated about ragging on Asus, this is sheer incompetence on their part.

Last edited:
Soldato
No I wasn’t as it clicked in fine for me and I tested it with thermal camera which confirmed there was no heat buildup.
In this case I know the motherboard was pushing excessive voltage to the cpu for almost a month.
With the connector it was user error and in this case it is not as the voltage was applied by the motherboard without any user input apart from enabling EXPO.

What about the exploding Ampere series? Those failures could take out the whole system. CPU, memory, motherboard and PSU. The lot.

Caporegime
Not saying it's the same thing, but as you know there were plenty of cables out there that didn't click in. I and plenty others in that thread (which I know you participated in) had cables that didn't click in properly.

There was no user error there. It was solved by getting a proper cable from Seasonic that did click in.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This is why I will be trying to return my system as from memory my motherboard was reporting 1.358v for the soc and I’ve been running it like that for almost a month.
Who knows what the actual voltage was, could be well over 1.4v so my cpu might be severely degraded already and its lifespan massively reduced.
How was I supposed to know this.?
Applied XMP just like everyone else and everything was working fine.

Right.... you're not to know any of this, you're not an electrical engineer, you're just a user rightfully assuming its all good and the motherboard vendor did their job properly.

Who knows how much that CPU's life has been boiled off it by your motherboard, though i think this would be the motherboard vendors responsibility, and good luck with that, things like this are never usually resolved by anything less than a joint class action lawsuit.

Last edited:
Associate
Not saying it's the same thing, but as you know there were plenty of cables out there that didn't click in. I and plenty others in that thread (which I know you participated in) had cables that didn't click in properly.

There was no user error there. It was solved by getting a proper cable from Seasonic that did click in.
Ok maybe not just user error but it didn’t affect me while excessively voltage issue did and no one can tell me if it didn’t degrade my cpu.

Associate
I see, the question was more how would you feel about it?
Not great obviously and when I found out my 3080 was running 24/7 for three months mining Ethereum with memory at 104C I wasn’t happy about that either so immediately put it under water cooling.
But those cards were running hot on the memory for everyone and there were no reports of it causing issues and even memory manufacturer confirmed it was within spec.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not great obviously and when I find out my 3080 was running 24/7 for three months mining Ethereum with memory at 104C I wasn’t happy about that either so immediately put it under water cooling.
But those cards were running hot on the memory for everyone and there were no reports of it causing issues and even memory manufacturer confirmed it was within spec.

I wouldn’t play Diablo on that card. Chances it will shorten its life and Possible Rapid Disassembly.

Caporegime
Not great obviously and when I find out my 3080 was running 24/7 for three months mining Ethereum I wasn’t happy about that either so immediately put it under water cooling.

Don't trust those temperature specifications, i think perhaps they are under pressure from people like Nvidia because they have difficulty keeping these very fast memory IC's under 100c during normal operation, this especially during the mining boom when almost all GPU's vendors reduced their warranty from 3 years to 2 years.

Its not a question of the memory IC's burning out right away, but rather that the days of GPU's lasting 5 years +, even 10 years with daily use.... are long gone. Now they are expected to last 3 years.

Last edited:
Soldato
Buying into the first gen of a new architecture is a risk, always has been. Generally, the second iteration fixes most things. A lot of the bugs will be fixed with firmware updates, hopefully without gimping performance. Time will tell how bad the problem actually is.

Soldato
Buying into the first gen of a new architecture is a risk, always has been. Generally, the second iteration fixes most things. A lot of the bugs will be fixed with firmware updates, hopefully without gimping performance. Time will tell how bad the problem actually is.

Indeed. Unless the issue is Intel related, then you might have to wait for 6-7 generations before they fix the hardware.

Back
Top Bottom